2019 Headliners

rzwodezwo

Let the guy have his opinion. The people who like it just because it's different are as bad as the people who don't like it cos it's different. Or worse, even, because there's a false sense of smugness about liking Arctic Monkeys' foray into something that's been done much better before.

It's the Mac's dance of albums.

Edited by dentalplan
  • Upvote 1

It's a strange one with TBHC. I quickly realised after it came out that apparently.. if you like it you're just saying that to be different and if you don't like it you're labeled a dick, there's no winning.

It was always gonna divide opinion as it's so much different to anything they've ever done. Personally I love it.

Can't see them headlining Glastonbury but if those vicious Macca pulling out rumours do happen to be true, God forbid, then I'd love them to fill the slot.. assuming The Strokes is a non starter

4 minutes ago, mufcok said:

It's a strange one with TBHC. I quickly realised after it came out that apparently.. if you like it you're just saying that to be different and if you don't like it you're labeled a dick, there's no winning.

It was always gonna divide opinion as it's so much different to anything they've ever done. Personally I love it.

Can't see them headlining Glastonbury but if those vicious Macca pulling out rumours do happen to be true, God forbid, then I'd love them to fill the slot.. assuming The Strokes is a non starter

You're just saying that to be different.

• Upvote 2

55 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

Let the guy have his opinion. The people who like it just because it's different are as bad as the people who don't like it cos it's different. Or worse, even, because there's a false sense of smugness about liking Arctic Monkeys' foray into something that's been done much better before.

It's the Mac's dance of albums.

He can think what he wants about it, absolutely no skin off my nose. I was just taking umbrage at the suggestion that it’s universally derided.

1 hour ago, Hugh Jass said:

How exactly do you know that more people don’t like it than do? Have you taken a census of Arctic Monkeys fans? There are a lot of people out there who don’t like it, I’ll happily admit that. But there are also many out there who do.

As with anything in life people who don’t like something tend to be more vocal than those who do.

I went out and did a survey!....joking aside though, the numbers don't lie! https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arctic_Monkeys_discography#Studio_albums. Humbug and Suck It & See, there was a dip period if you like in there for them both got over double the UK sales and both registered comfortably over 100k sales in the USA. This one didn't even go Platinum Certification through anything any generated 400k Worldwide, it's only 45k more than Humbug in the UK alone. To put it into comparison, Noel Gallagher's Chasing Yesterday wasn't far off sales in the UK but went Platinum, his most current that was forgotten only got 70k less and went gold.

20 minutes ago, mufcok said:

But there is some people on here that will label you that for everything you don't like. If you like anything on 6Music you're okay, anything else and you're a dick lol.

On 1/5/2019 at 11:14 AM, Madyaker said:

Lol im surprised they even tried to book Kanye considering he's totally lost his marbles. He could have had to pay out a lot of money there!

Kanye would be huge risk to book, as they discovered, but I can see why they tried. His back catalogue is immense and he has it in him to deliver a killer set. Has he ever managed it, to date? I'm sure it's possible, though.

11 hours ago, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

Step back lads, Gazza's got sales numbers to settle it once and for all.

Normally I wouldn't bother with wiki but I knew it did shit. The tour did well here but that's reflective on who they are and not the album. 400k Worldwide is ridiculous

People on here can like it and that's fine, but if you are saying there isn't a larger demographic that didn't like it than did by quite some you are arguing against yourself. There were lots if reports from the tour as well that the new songs were a welcome drinks/facilities gap if you like.

11 hours ago, thewayiam said:

I went out and did a survey!....joking aside though, the numbers don't lie! https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arctic_Monkeys_discography#Studio_albums. Humbug and Suck It & See, there was a dip period if you like in there for them both got over double the UK sales and both registered comfortably over 100k sales in the USA. This one didn't even go Platinum Certification through anything any generated 400k Worldwide, it's only 45k more than Humbug in the UK alone. To put it into comparison, Noel Gallagher's Chasing Yesterday wasn't far off sales in the UK but went Platinum, his most current that was forgotten only got 70k less and went gold.

But there is some people on here that will label you that for everything you don't like. If you like anything on 6Music you're okay, anything else and you're a dick lol.

You can use statistics to prove any old bollocks though, chief.

Check out the sales figures for Nickelback's 5th (who f**king knew?) album.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/All_the_Right_Reasons

By your logic it must be better than Arctic Monkeys entire back catalogue combined.  Give it a rest will you?

Edited by Chrundle The Great
Link didn't post properly.

11 hours ago, thewayiam said:

Invoking Noel's solo stuff is the perfect argument against what you're saying. His last record is clearly artistically superior to the rest of his dreary solo output.

1 hour ago, Chrundle The Great said:

You can use statistics to prove any old bollocks though, chief.

Check out the sales figures for Nickelback's 5th (who f**king knew?) album.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/All_the_Right_Reasons

By your logic it must be better than Arctic Monkeys entire back catalogue combined.  Give it a rest will you?

Not really, obviously they have better USA stats which you would expect....the size of the USA to here, I'd be surprised if you find many acts at all from America that had better stats here.

Do you know how big Nickelback were back then though?, early 2000s they were huge, Photograph was massive and you couldn't miss them on Kerrang tv and it wasn't just Kerrang. Look at their most recent and the one before where they are totally forgotten. In fairness too, I'd rather listen to All the right Reasons, The Long Road and Silver Side Up.

33 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Invoking Noel's solo stuff is the perfect argument against what you're saying. His last record is clearly artistically superior to the rest of his dreary solo output.

No it isn't, he was forgot about soon after it. Go look at who's headlining the medium/smaller sized festivals along with Rudimental and MSP etc the last few years.

Edited by thewayiam

2 hours ago, Chawk said:

Yeah, he played The Big Chill the same year as Coachella. Was a pretty great show, included ballet dancers and a rant about people acting like he's Hitler.

Sounds ridiculous now, Kanue West playing Big Chill

Uh oh, you'll set Gazza off into 'Kanye bankrupted Big Chill' mode next. Now all we need is for someone to mention Foals.

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

That's got nothing to do with the artistic merits of his albums.

Really?, you can tell yourself that, then you can add the Oasis material into his sets and see what where he is know playing. While you might have that view....that needs to be a wider view and generally thought of, if not, what I'm say saying is exactly what's happening. The only people that ever mention Noel in any merit at the minute and for a while tbh is the NME.

36 minutes ago, thewayiam said:

Really?, you can tell yourself that, then you can add the Oasis material into his sets and see what where he is know playing. While you might have that view....that needs to be a wider view and generally thought of, if not, what I'm say saying is exactly what's happening. The only people that ever mention Noel in any merit at the minute and for a while tbh is the NME.

62ade42a-557c-4b8c-9b3e-07644957523a_tex

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Chawk said:

Yeah, he played The Big Chill the same year as Coachella. Was a pretty great show, included ballet dancers and a rant about people acting like he's Hitler.

Sounds ridiculous now, Kanue West playing Big Chill

Ah man that was one of the worst sets I've ever witnessed! Only hung around because 2manydjs were coming on after. It was quite entertaining at times, so many people in the back of the crowd where we were just laughing.