2019 Headliners

rzwodezwo

11 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

He’s always reiterating it though, so I’m not sure he’s having second thoughts. I think he’s got that much other art to be getting on with that his relevance as Childish Gambino will carry over into more lucrative and expressive Donald Glover ventures.

Cliff suggested on telly that he was too expensive for the legends slot before so I doubt it.

Missing dough and whine

• Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, The Nal said:

Harsh enough. Johns work post 66 includes A Day in the Life, I Am The Walrus, Lucy in the Sky With Diamonds, All You Need is Love, Revolution, Happiness is a Warm Gun, Don't Let Me Down, Dear Prudence, Come Together, I Want You Shes So Heavy, Working Class Hero, Cold Turkey, Imagine, Jealous Guy, Instant Karma, Gimme Some Truth, How Do You Sleep, Love, God, Julia, Glass Onion....... Bungalow Bill.  

Most of his best work. He was on fire from A Hard Days Night through to Revolver though granted. Relentless stuff. 

The pre-acid output avalanche became a flurry and then a light dusting.

A Day in the Life is from '66 is it not? Certainly written and recorded. He sobered up in Rishikesh and came back with a lot of stuff, granted. George and John continued to have their moments in flashes but Macca churned out quality for at least another ten years before his mojo deserted him after Tug Of War.

2 hours ago, jparx said:

Wonder if Bon Iver would agree to that slot? They seem to be chasing headline slots at the mo, but I'd argue subbing Macca is a bigger deal than headlining the Other, or indeed headlining most other festivals in the UK.

Stormzy > Liam

The Cure > LDR

Macca > Bon Iver

Image result for make it so

i think you've got it to be fair

23 minutes ago, jparx said:

I thought John's best work was POST 1966...

I don't really have a side in the John vs Paul debate. Both wrote some of the greatest tunes of all time. I'm just glad Macca is still touring and giving younger fans the chance to see some of those amazing songs live. 

All the true lightning in a bottle stuff is from before '66. Im not picking sides either, just pointing out one of them lost interest in the group. One didnt.

5 minutes ago, Wooderson said:

All the true lightning in a bottle stuff is from before '66. Im not picking sides either, just pointing out one of them lost interest in the group. One didnt.

9 minutes ago, Wooderson said:

The pre-acid output avalanche became a flurry and then a light dusting.

A Day in the Life is from '66 is it not? Certainly written and recorded. He sobered up in Rishikesh and came back with a lot of stuff, granted. George and John continued to have their moments in flashes but Macca churned out quality for at least another ten years before his mojo deserted him after Tug Of War.

A Day in the Life was written and recorded in early 67. 

No doubt he lost interest after touring and when he started doing acid and didn't have Paul calling round and making him work though yeah. Ringo has said he and Lennon used to be terrified when the phone rang and it was Paul. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, The Nal said:

A Day in the Life was written and recorded in early 67. 

No doubt he lost interest after touring and when he started doing acid and didn't have Paul calling round and making him work though yeah. Ringo has said he and Lennon used to be terrified when the phone rang and it was Paul. 

And I Am The Walrus, that was the one after which he lost interest IMHO.  It was the most ambitious recording in his whole career and was chosen as a b-side in favour of another jaunty number by Paul.  I can see why that demoralised him.

2 hours ago, H.M.V said:

Thought as much. Just still seeing his name get mentioned a lot and it's the hope that kills ya. 

I see his name on here all the time but am clueless as to what he looks or sounds like. Should I make the effort or, given my previous record, will I hate him?

5 minutes ago, Wooderson said:

John's quasi-addiction to acid sowed the seeds of the Beatles collapse a couple years later. To get his head right he had to get out of the maelstrom.

was the heroin rather than the acid really wasn't it? He started getting quite deep into that stuff around the late 60's and became very distanced from the band. 

Where did the stuff about Gambino retiring after Coachella even come from? I had a look into it like last week and all the stuff I found about him retiring Childish Gambino seemed to assume he was planning to do so after his next album/tour. Before that I thought he was supposed to be retiring after Coachella but I couldn't find any sources for that whatsoever.

Just now, Gucci Piggy said:

Where did the stuff about Gambino retiring after Coachella even come from? I had a look into it like last week and all the stuff I found about him retiring Childish Gambino seemed to assume he was planning to do so after his next album/tour. Before that I thought he was supposed to be retiring after Coachella but I couldn't find any sources for that whatsoever.

It’s just an assumption. He’s not even announced for Coachella yet. He’s just been saying that this tour will be his last and Coachella usually want some special event for their fee so a final Bino show would fit.

9 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

It’s just an assumption. He’s not even announced for Coachella yet. He’s just been saying that this tour will be his last and Coachella usually want some special event for their fee so a final Bino show would fit.

Fair enough. I thought there was more to it than that (like the Coachella rumour specifically being that it's his last show), so I guess that's positive. If he is releasing a new album it must be quite likely that he'll tour it past April.

5 minutes ago, SomeoneListeningIn said:

Sorry for the off topic post, but does anyone know where the 2019 Possibilities (Non-Headliner) thread has gone? Wanted to post in it but can't find it, has it been deleted?

erm... I can't find it either, but I haven't deleted it. :blink:

I've just checked the moderator logs and I can't see anything for it there either. Only thing I can think of is that a corrupt database record is causing it to not display.

2 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

erm... I can't find it either, but I haven't deleted it. :blink:

I've just checked the moderator logs and I can't see anything for it there either. Only thing I can think of is that a corrupt database record is causing it to not display.

How odd, glad it wasn't me being stupid ?

15 minutes ago, Gucci Piggy said:

Fair enough. I thought there was more to it than that (like the Coachella rumour specifically being that it's his last show), so I guess that's positive. If he is releasing a new album it must be quite likely that he'll tour it past April.

Not necessarily. As said, he’s called this his last tour and he’s already done three or four continents. It could go either way but it isn’t like he’d be quitting as soon as the tour starts.

6 minutes ago, Gucci Piggy said:

Anyway, what were you going to post? :P

The possibility of Christine & the Queens being a Pyramid sub. Seems as though she's headlining APE which tends to be Pyramid sub size. I originally had her down for 4th Pyramid or John Peel headliner but I reckon she might get something better now.

5 minutes ago, SomeoneListeningIn said:

The possibility of Christine & the Queens being a Pyramid sub. Seems as though she's headlining APE which tends to be Pyramid sub size. I originally had her down for 4th Pyramid or John Peel headliner but I reckon she might get something better now.

Yep, reckon so. Mates went to her Bournemouth and Hammersmith shows this week and were blown away. She appeared at the back of the auditorium singing a song and worked her way back to the stage - just imagine her suddenly popping up under Lonely Tree and meandering back through the crowd to the Pyramid Stage with her dance entourage - for sure would be a moment

4 minutes ago, SomeoneListeningIn said:

I was actually thinking that she might end up being an APE exclusive, would make the booking a bit stronger I guess. I've been thinking West Holts headliner for her for a while but I guess she might even be bigger than that now.

11 minutes ago, SomeoneListeningIn said:

Fair. I can't see it myself. Like Neil said, they may have booked her for APE not expecting it to sell out and budgeting based on that; she certainly don't feel Pyramid sub-sized to me. Can see her just doing APE tbh seeing as it's such a big show for her.