2019 Headliners

rzwodezwo

2 minutes ago, thrillhouse188 said:

I agree. Arcade Fire in particular are a weird one, would only ever headline, yet their mainstream UK exposure seems minuscule

They are a bit of an enigma arent they... they are a headline act for sure but as you say they arent really that mainstream... thier aloofness has made them better maybe? 

Just now, RarerThanDandyB said:

Considering they do everything usually, I reckon everyone knows at least five songs...

I know who Muse are and I could not name you 5 songs. I even gave them a listen when I read they sounded like Depeche Mode. 

There is not a cat in hells chance that people round here could name 5 Muse songs.

I was one of the few that got super excited about the Kanye announcement. Went along to it and was left super disappointed. Bad vibe in the crowd around me too, seemed like thousands flocked to just talk and take the piss throughout. 

If the strokes do play and you don’t like them, please don’t go just to slag them off and talk through the whole set. It really sucks for the people who’ve gone to have a good time. Loads more to do on site that would create a positive vibe.

It does seem like the band have off days with the live shows. I’ll be going along to support them for sure. If Kasabian, the killers and Florence can headline the pyramid, the strokes definitely can.

1 minute ago, Havors said:

They are a bit of an enigma arent they... they are a headline act for sure but as you say they arent really that mainstream... thier aloofness has made them better maybe? 

All I can think if is that it's critical success, which is daft (although I love the idea of need a 7.0 average on pitchfork to headline ?); or their US popularity kind of spilling over, but that only goes so far, aren't Cage the Elephant for example big over their, but relatively unheard of over here nowadays? 

Just now, eastynh said:

I know who Muse are and I could not name you 5 songs. I even gave them a listen when I read they sounded like Depeche Mode. 

There is not a cat in hells chance that people round here could name 5 Muse songs.

We can agree to disagree. I reckon they would. People would know: Psycho, SBH, Knights of Cydonia, Starlight, Hysteria and Uprising.

2 minutes ago, RarerThanDandyB said:

I reckon Bellamy has a distinctive voice and are big enough people to know but fair enough that’s Kasabian where you know the song, not the band. 

Yeah you could play someone some Muse songs and they would be like "oh yeah i know that song" but no idea who the band are haha 

Shocking really as they are pretty awesome

/runs off to put some Muse on spotify

Edited by Havors

Just now, Havors said:

Yeah you could play someone some Muse songs and they would be like "oh yeah i know that song" but no idea who the band are haha 

Shocking really as they are pretty awesome

To be honest I’m within a bubble with my friends and we love old Muse and I obviously don’t know the statistics but would of thought people would know... 

2 minutes ago, The Martini Police said:

Do you live in one of the spaceships they like to sing about?

Nah, just that people where I live genuinely have no interest in music like Muse. Even when they have played the Etihad, I do not know of a single person who has been. Where I live is more Parklife and Creamfields territory than indie guitar type territory.

13 minutes ago, lobo said:

If the strokes do play and you don’t like them, please don’t go just to slag them off and talk through the whole set. It really sucks for the people who’ve gone to have a good time. Loads more to do on site that would create a positive vibe.

Fair point. I could see myself turning into one of these people during Radiohead's first song. so I buggered off to Dizzee Rascal instead. Win-win.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Stokesy10 said:

Seen them live twice, first time they were incredible, second time they were massively disappointing. They've been going for some time and clearly past their best. The point he was making about them being shite is the bit I personally found rich, considering their back catalogue of successful albums and popularity.

It's rich for Nick Cave, one of the most critically acclaimed artists of the past several decades, to call RHCP (who are quite often panned) shite, but it isn't rich for you to call Nick Cave shite?

Come on, every single one of us on here call acts shite on the regular, who are more talented than us (yes, even Mumford and Sons).

I'd say Nick Cave has much more of a leg to stand on when calling a band shite.

1 hour ago, The Nal said:

Yeah they're fine for a day time show or even a Peel headliner, maybe even the Other but absolutely preposterous as a Pyramid headliner.

But who else is there really outside of a handful of acts. Everyone big have either already played or are pushing up daisies. 

The Strokes headlining John Peel ffs.

35 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

I know. I was trying my best not to open this debate. I could just imagine there being a surprise in that The 1975 appear on the poster out of nowhere.

Had a few bits of info that they weren't playing Glasto at all, though, didn't we? That's why I stopped predicting em to sub.

Just now, Gucci Piggy said:

Had a few bits of info that they weren't playing Glasto at all, though, didn't we? That's why I stopped predicting em to sub.

Early on though, I bet.

but nah it’s not a prediction I’m tied to, just the kind of thing you can imagine after all this time like the Saturday or Sunday sub just turning out to be The 1975 who we’d discounted because they’re a headliner.

1 hour ago, Keithy said:

Strokes have never been Glastonbury headliner status. Had the Eavii booked them in 2002/2003, it would have been a great booking of a great band with potential...and probably could have got a sub spot at best. That time has long passed. 

Music press (and to be fair most of Joe Public) absolutely fell for an emerging, very cool band from New York with a belter of a song in Last Nite. Decent album followed and then.... classic shone brightly and then quickly faded territory. To see them now is to see a bunch of 40 year olds trying to pretend it's 2001 and they are young and cool. Absolutely go through the motions live.

Re:Gaga. Would love her to play but don't think she will. I fear she will be one of the great lost Glastonbury headliners.

I'm increasingly getting the fear that the headliners this year will be the weakest set in a good 10 years. I suppose you have to put it in context that for the last 10 years we've had an unprecedented level of headliner status and it was always unsustainable. 

What a load of old arse. 

Would they be a good headliner in 2019? No, of course not. But to try and downplay how good Is This It? is, and then claim they couldn’t have headlined back then is baffling. 

Edited by Rubber Soldier

17 minutes ago, SloopJohnB said:

I seem to remember @eFestivals once saying that he was less likely to get info from American artists than British ones (sorry if I’ve got that wrong).

On that basis, and with any scent going cold, does the lack of info make an American artist more likely?

Gaga?

Killers?

Strokes?

KOL?

yep, that's my overall view.

But it's not always right. I said that (again) a month or three ago about no word of the act who turned out to be Stormzy.