2019 Headliners

rzwodezwo

15 hours ago, dentalplan said:

What has kept The Killers from headlining again already? Unless it was the two members that they replaced with lookalikes, I don't see why their chances would be improving.

edit: I don't actually think it impossible that they'll headline again but it's not baffling. I think Florence and the Machine have better chance of returning given the relationship with the festival and stuff.

Well they headlined on the Sam's Town tour. The next album was too soon, and on the Battle Born tour they were here during a fallow year in 2012, followed by a late June Wembley date in 2013 which would probably have made Glasto less interested. And this time around they have been touring their new album over here during the summer in a fallow year again. So it doesn't seem to me like they've been snubbed at all.

What relationship does Florence have with the festival that The Killers don't? It was their first UK festival headline slot very early into their career, after they subbed in 2005 when their back catalogue was so short that they had to play b sides. And then they played a secret set last year which couldn't have gone down any better. 

I'm a diehard fan and I don't really lose any sleep over Mark and Dave not touring. I doubt the majority of a Glastonbury crowd would even notice tbh; Brandon Flowers is The Killers to most people. 

For the moaners.... ? I can now reveal your headliners....

The one or two album headliner who people say isn’t ready for it yet

The more than 6 album headliner who people say are past their prime

The female headliner who people say doesn’t deserve it and is only there to stop the all male headliners

26 minutes ago, Odessa said:

Well they headlined on the Sam's Town tour. The next album was too soon, and on the Battle Born tour they were here during a fallow year in 2012, followed by a late June Wembley date in 2013 which would probably have made Glasto less interested. And this time around they have been touring their new album over here during the summer in a fallow year again. So it doesn't seem to me like they've been snubbed at all.

What relationship does Florence have with the festival that The Killers don't? It was their first UK festival headline slot very early into their career, after they subbed in 2005 when their back catalogue was so short that they had to play b sides. And then they played a secret set last year which couldn't have gone down any better. 

I'm a diehard fan and I don't really lose any sleep over Mark and Dave not touring. I doubt the majority of a Glastonbury crowd would even notice tbh; Brandon Flowers is The Killers to most people. 

Florence is hanging around backstage at the festival every year and plays on every album, and even turned down headline slots elsewhere to sub Glastonbury last time.

The Killers being given a headline berth so early on doesn’t really say much about Glastonbury but about The Killers; they just blew up that quickly and were headlining all sorts of places. Since then they’ve done V four times, T three times yet never returned to Glastonbury until a secret set (that they clearly didn’t turn down a headline slot to do). It really doesn’t suggest that the festival is trying but just missing them each time, more that they got them once at a great time and are happy with that.

3 hours ago, Odessa said:

Tbf Emily Eavis I think is a huge FATM fan.

6 hours ago, dentalplan said:

Florence is hanging around backstage at the festival every year and plays on every album, and even turned down headline slots elsewhere to sub Glastonbury last time.

The Killers being given a headline berth so early on doesn’t really say much about Glastonbury but about The Killers; they just blew up that quickly and were headlining all sorts of places. Since then they’ve done V four times, T three times yet never returned to Glastonbury until a secret set (that they clearly didn’t turn down a headline slot to do). It really doesn’t suggest that the festival is trying but just missing them each time, more that they got them once at a great time and are happy with that.

I didn't know that about Florence tbf. 

I'm not saying that Glasto have been absolutely desperate to book them again but their schedules just haven't lined up. But I don't think you can deny that it's possible that the fallow years and the Wembley gig have got in the way of them even being considered, when they otherwise might have. 

And with regards to the secret set last year, of course they didn't turn down a headline set to do it, but there isn't always going to be Ed Sheerans, Foo Fighters and Radioheads available. They would be further down the pecking order than those acts, but that doesn't rule them out going forward in my eyes. 

little hunch at Stormzy purely for reasons mentioned but there is a slight doubt in him now, FATM and Arctic Monkeys. When we look at who could do it and size to do it, FATM has a massive tour and sold everything out quick I believe, plus I don't think she'll be chosen, 1 to do it on the 50th....I may be wrong and 2, as that would be her 2nd year. 

Realistically she's going to be booked around Europe next year and as soon as she is she becomes a contender, I've ignored it a bit due to 2015 but in reality it is 4 years later if only 3 festivals later and had she not stepped up to headline in the end that year I've no doubt she would be given the option on this album now. She could close it and Arctics Saturday tbh too but I don't think she'll do the Friday.

48 minutes ago, Radi0Head said:

One or two could be suggesting Stormzy. I don't see this line-up as likely, Fleetwood Mac and Madonna would both be asking for a large fee.

The only chance they'll both happen the same year is if they both want to do the big one and accept the fee will be lower. I don't think myself FM will care as much as Madonna would mind about the year but I do think Mick will have a price at the lowest he would go to play and that Glastonbury would only afford him if she didn't play. Macca for example knows the drill and will accept what it is and Coldplay will probably play for free...that would be the only way that they would get both as I reckon combined they'd ask for around £1.5m, and I doubt Eavis would pay FM without Buckingham £700k

14 minutes ago, thewayiam said:

The only chance they'll both happen the same year is if they both want to do the big one and accept the fee will be lower. I don't think myself FM will care as much as Madonna would mind about the year but I do think Mick will have a price at the lowest he would go to play and that Glastonbury would only afford him if she didn't play. Macca for example knows the drill and will accept what it is and Coldplay will probably play for free...that would be the only way that they would get both as I reckon combined they'd ask for around £1.5m, and I doubt Eavis would pay FM without Buckingham £700k

Mate this is too deep into a fantasy world.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Can't see The Cure playing the Other Stage. Why would they when they would headline the mainstage of any other Rock Festival in the world. The more pertinent question is why would they play the other stage now?

If they were to play it would be Pyramid headliners and the timing would make sense since their re-emergence on the festival scene since 2011 and increase of popularity. If we are looking purely on ticket sales then The Cure are nearly as popular now as they were during their late 80s-early 90s peak. 

Whilst they have got a bit of a rocky relationship with the festival they are one of the bands that helped grow the festival and were one of the eavis' favourite bands. I'm sure the Hyde park sell out certainly raised some eye-brows in Worthy Farm.