2019 Headliners

rzwodezwo

Hmmmm imma go with:

FRI: Lady Gaga / Stormzy / Vampire Weekend

SAT: Fleetwood Mac / Paolo Nutini / The War On Drugs

SUN: Paul McCarteny / Liam Gallagher / George Ezra / Kylie Minogue

Mac & Macca may be too much for one year? But Gaga and Kylie should be on the cheaper side so maybe...

And agreed on Macca, even though I don't really care for him and inagine I'll be at a different stage that night you can't denh he's a great booking.

Edited by Mattymooz

3 minutes ago, henry bear said:

In x years time, when Macca departs this mortal coil and the world mourns the departure of (arguably) the greatest songwriter/artist of the rock era, some people will look back and rue the decision to watch Bastille on the Other.

Na MBV mate, won't be regretting a thing.

6 minutes ago, henry bear said:

In x years time, when Macca departs this mortal coil and the world mourns the departure of (arguably) the greatest songwriter/artist of the rock era, some people will look back and rue the decision to watch Bastille on the Other.

See also the people who skipped the Stones to watch the Bootleg Beatles.

1 minute ago, henry bear said:

There are those of us who went to Basement Jaxx on The Other in 2000 (with The Beta Band subbing, come on) . It was the right decision at the time. It was. It really was.

4 minutes ago, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

Don't really dig the Beatles, or P McC's solo stuff but I'd go along to it because it'd be a pretty big deal. In with a chance of getting that palpable pre-Stones anticipation atmosphere. That atmosphere was so thick you could dunk pitta bread into it and eat it like hummus.

That's it, innit? Perfectly put, Amy. It's a really unique thing, that atmosphere at the Pyramid before someone properly huge comes out. Nearly always outweighs the performance. But it's so fucking tangible.

12 minutes ago, Gucci Piggy said:

Any reason for Paolo Nutini to move from Other sub to Pyramid sub since 2014? Can't imagine his next album making him any bigger.

I dunno I always get the impression hes really big and was kinda underbooked in 2014?

IIRC he did an arena tour of the same album so I kinda assumed it was similar situation to Royal Blood (who imo could have easily subbed last time but instead played third). Could be completely wrong but dunno who else to chuck in there (as I would have Streets headlining other vs. Gaga). Any suggestions?

7 minutes ago, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

I was well into MBV when they remastered those first two albums and then when the third one came out; but recently I can't listen to them without wondering wtf even is this?

I pretty much think that Loveless is proof of the divine but for some reason have no real interest in seeing them live.

3 hours ago, Mardy said:

For ages, like pretty much all my life, i wasn’t the least bit interested in Macca. But then i realised i was just being a dick. I’d be right up for a bit of him. Can imagine it being pretty damn powerful in that crowd.

Yeah I'm prob the same, given his new album a listen and I do like it. I think I'm just jittery about watching a full set of Beatles songs tbh. The man's got nearly 50 years since then and it'd be a crying shame to completely ignore 80% of his output. Need to have a look at his setlist history really.

2 hours ago, henry bear said:

The bottom line is: He’s a f**king Beatle. Why would anyone not want to see him?

So all up for a Ringo headline set then? :lol:

2 minutes ago, Mattymooz said:

I dunno I always get the impression hes really big and was kinda underbooked in 2014?

IIRC he did an arena tour of the same album so I kinda assumed it was similar situation to Royal Blood (who imo could have easily subbed last time but instead played third). Could be completely wrong but dunno who else to chuck in there (as I would have Streets headlining other vs. Gaga). Any suggestions?

Seemed about right to me. People like George Ezra and Bastille do similar tours.

For subs I've currently got Iggy Pop, Stormzy and Liam Gallagher, with The War on Drugs and Streets as my next choices. Tbh from your lineup I think TWOD and Vampire Weekend would both be more likely to sub than Paolo Nutini.

4 minutes ago, Winslow Leach said:

I pretty much think that Loveless is proof of the divine but for some reason have no real interest in seeing them live.

Their live shows sound sick. Apparently they hand out earplugs at the door and it's so loud your body will be shaking for the whole gig. Read stuff in the past about people vomiting at them.

Just read this passage from a 2013 live review of them:

"Shields spoke only once more after that, thanking us for coming out to see them and warning us, “This is our last song. Sorry for all the trouble.” I was a little confused at first but overall didn’t think much of the apology, and the band proceeded to play their go-to closing anthem, “You Made Me Realise”. Some people call it the “holocaust” section of the performance. I call it a big fuck-you to the people who hadn’t put in their earplugs yet.

It was loud. Fucking loud. But it was still a song—at least until a few minutes in, when it began to morph into a horrifying, thrashing interlude of pure feedback and noise, ripping the walls of the gorgeous Aragon apart nail by nail as the venue crumbled into a cavern of thunderous roars. I was still near the speakers when it began, and I could feel my body actually shaking with sound vibrations, my throat feeling like a hand had enveloped it, slowly gripping tighter and tighter. In front of me was a white-haired man who had appeared to be having a great time for the majority of the show, and he played along for a few minutes, throwing up the rock-n-roll “sign of the horns” symbol with hands, shaking his head along with the, uh, beat. I glanced around to see what other people were doing. Most were just staring, mesmerized, but also trying to pretend like this didn’t hurt their heads. I had earplugs in, and even I was uncomfortable after about four minutes.

I started to retreat, noticing the white-haired man was long gone. I passed the bar, and saw that a few bartenders were smiling in disbelief at what MBV was doing, while one unfortunate bartender gripped his ears with his hands and frowned, searching for a spare pair of earplugs. I made my way to the very back of the crowd, and continued to scan for reactions. I caught the eye of one man, who grinned back in recognition of the absurdity of the moment. I had lost track of time at this point—perhaps it had been around 10 minutes of noise—but suddenly the band shifted back to “You Made Me Realise”, and the song itself sounded unbelievably quiet in comparison to what we had just experienced—comically quiet. Meek, even."

8 minutes ago, Gucci Piggy said:

Seemed about right to me. People like George Ezra and Bastille do similar tours.

For subs I've currently got Iggy Pop, Stormzy and Liam Gallagher, with The War on Drugs and Streets as my next choices. Tbh from your lineup I think TWOD and Vampire Weekend would both be more likely to sub than Paolo Nutini.

Iggy Pop surely must be in a similar situation tho (didnt he sub QOTSA at Finsbury Park this year). Would surely better in a 3rd down slot?

QOTSA however maybe could take that slot? They'd be big for that slot but can't be too dissimilar to Foals in 2016 (and considering it would be the third summer for Villans).

Just now, Mattymooz said:

Iggy Pop surely must be in a similar situation tho (didnt he sub QOTSA at Finsbury Park this year). Would surely better in a 3rd down slot?

QOTSA however maybe could take that slot? They'd be big for that slot but can't be too dissimilar to Foals in 2016 (and considering it would be the third summer for Villans).

Glastonbury have history of giving the sub slots to more niche, critically acclaimed acts, though. Beck and Tame Impala subbed above Ellie Goulding in 2016, and back then most were predicting Tame to be 3rd Pyramid or subbing Other with Goulding subbing Pyramid. The National subbed above Katy Perry in 2017, D'Angelo was seemingly going to sub Adele in 2016 before pulling out (which was again whilst Ellie Goulding was playing third down on a different day).

Size-wise, Iggy is probably more suited to third down, but he seems a more likely continuation to previous years than Paolo Nutini does.

Don't see QOTSA still touring next Summer.

16 minutes ago, Gucci Piggy said:

Their live shows sound sick. Apparently they hand out earplugs at the door and it's so loud your body will be shaking for the whole gig. Read stuff in the past about people vomiting at them.

Just read this passage from a 2013 live review of them:

"Shields spoke only once more after that, thanking us for coming out to see them and warning us, “This is our last song. Sorry for all the trouble.” I was a little confused at first but overall didn’t think much of the apology, and the band proceeded to play their go-to closing anthem, “You Made Me Realise”. Some people call it the “holocaust” section of the performance. I call it a big fuck-you to the people who hadn’t put in their earplugs yet.

It was loud. Fucking loud. But it was still a song—at least until a few minutes in, when it began to morph into a horrifying, thrashing interlude of pure feedback and noise, ripping the walls of the gorgeous Aragon apart nail by nail as the venue crumbled into a cavern of thunderous roars. I was still near the speakers when it began, and I could feel my body actually shaking with sound vibrations, my throat feeling like a hand had enveloped it, slowly gripping tighter and tighter. In front of me was a white-haired man who had appeared to be having a great time for the majority of the show, and he played along for a few minutes, throwing up the rock-n-roll “sign of the horns” symbol with hands, shaking his head along with the, uh, beat. I glanced around to see what other people were doing. Most were just staring, mesmerized, but also trying to pretend like this didn’t hurt their heads. I had earplugs in, and even I was uncomfortable after about four minutes.

I started to retreat, noticing the white-haired man was long gone. I passed the bar, and saw that a few bartenders were smiling in disbelief at what MBV was doing, while one unfortunate bartender gripped his ears with his hands and frowned, searching for a spare pair of earplugs. I made my way to the very back of the crowd, and continued to scan for reactions. I caught the eye of one man, who grinned back in recognition of the absurdity of the moment. I had lost track of time at this point—perhaps it had been around 10 minutes of noise—but suddenly the band shifted back to “You Made Me Realise”, and the song itself sounded unbelievably quiet in comparison to what we had just experienced—comically quiet. Meek, even."

Sounds fucking shite that