Weather 2017

Nobody Interesting

18 minutes ago, Sasperella said:

Because I don't think it hindered my fun in anyway in 2014. And if it was a choice between 2014 weather and whatever is in the weather box....I'd take 2014. These thunderstorms are on sunday...looks pretty sweet for the rest ofd the time :)

Crazy! Have you been eating your profile pic while you've been in Peru?

Can anyone remember when the rainathon started in the run up last year? was it around now?

Obviously there's zero chance of predicting anything for the festival until just before however looking at it this morning on the webcam the ground would be top notch if it could stay like that ( i realise this wont happen).

I suppose as long as there's more days of sun than rain this month then it should be fine

1 hour ago, Gnomicide said:

The last weekend in May was glorious last year. Bearded Theory was wall to wall sunshine.

I think I'd sacrifice that and swap the weather for the two festivals this year.

This is a great idea.  Who do we write to at Bearded Theory to make it happen?

2 minutes ago, Deadendfriends8 said:

As we're talking about weather. One thing I've never cracked in my many festivals is not cooking in my tent in the morning. Any tips?

that can be dangerous - use one of the many food stalls for breakfast, much easier an safer;)

29 minutes ago, Deadendfriends8 said:

As we're talking about weather. One thing I've never cracked in my many festivals is not cooking in my tent in the morning. Any tips?

Fresh and Black tents from Decathlon seem to be the best bet. Alternative methods seem to be using foil on the tent roof to reflect heat. 

45 minutes ago, Deadendfriends8 said:

Bring a shade structure to put up above your tent

Something like this:

a50e67696c956f1fba10e09477233201.jpg

3 hours ago, Stretlow said:

Can anyone remember when the rainathon started in the run up last year? was it around now?

Obviously there's zero chance of predicting anything for the festival until just before however looking at it this morning on the webcam the ground would be top notch if it could stay like that ( i realise this wont happen).

I suppose as long as there's more days of sun than rain this month then it should be fine

It was end of May. I remember quite a dry and warm May, was out in the evenings in the Lake District is shorts and tshirt. All broke loose after that though, and the rain didn't stop for 3 weeks.

• Upvote 1

Met office 3 month probabilistic outlook suggests a higher chance of warmer than average temperatures and a slightly higher chance of higher than normal precipitation.

The main thing to take from the forecast though is after the month of may there is no strong signal suggesting any particular type of weather...so it's not particularly useful at the moment! 

25 minutes ago, 6t6o6m said:

It was end of May. I remember quite a dry and warm May, was out in the evenings in the Lake District is shorts and tshirt. All broke loose after that though, and the rain didn't stop for 3 weeks.

But it had been a very wet winter too so ground water levels were high.

• Upvote 1

18 hours ago, stuartbert two hats said:

2009 over 2010.

2009 weather was pretty good. Very hot on the Wednesday, downpour/thunderstorm on Thursday night, which added some atmosphere to Ferris Bueller's Day Off in the Cinema tent! First half of Friday was pretty wet, then dry/overcast the rest of the weekend.

Thunderstorm not ideal, but overall decent 

1 hour ago, somecoolusername said:

2009 weather was pretty good. Very hot on the Wednesday, downpour/thunderstorm on Thursday night, which added some atmosphere to Ferris Bueller's Day Off in the Cinema tent! First half of Friday was pretty wet, then dry/overcast the rest of the weekend.

Thunderstorm not ideal, but overall decent 

16 minutes ago, scaryclaireyfairy said:

I'm in no rush to repeat it and I know I quickly got bored at the time but the t-storm of '09 was amazing. The ground felt sort of fizzy under-bum and I felt so tiny in my tent.  And wasted, hilariously, uselessly wasted.

I remember 2009 very fondly.  The run up to the festival was blazing hot and we set off on Thursday afternoon in a balmy 25 degrees.  5 miles from the site and you could see the lightning coming down on the farm.  But it was still warm, and by the Friday evening the rain had subsided.  There was loads of mud (Child 2 tripped over a mud-covered guy rope and spent Saturday looking like Morph), but it was nothing like last year's and there was still grass to sit on.  The general vibe was wonderful and both OH and Child 2 (he's not even the clumsiest) were caught by complete strangers when they lost their balance and slipped off the walkway. It stayed very warm, even during the apocalyptic thunderstorm which started just after Blur's set.  Can't imagine sitting in a tent through that; it was bad enough in a caravan.

Never understood why people don't give 2015 the credit it deserves, it was about as close to perfect as a UK festival can get weather-wise. Sunny and warm virtually all weekend with I think just two periods of rain over the whole weekend (Friday afternoon for a few hours starting during Alabama Shakes and then again overnight/morning when the Dalai Lama did his thing on Sunday). We must have used up all our weather credits that year, cause in '16 it seemed to rain non-stop for the whole month of June.

I'm sure someone with too much spare time could work out the best ever festival for weather using this website: https://www.timeanddate.com/weather/uk/glastonbury/historic?month=6&year=2015 

• Upvote 1

I weirdly have absolutely no memory of this 2009 Sunday night thunderstorm. But I had just watched my favourite band play one of the all-time great headline sets so I was floating a bit... it was quite a contrast from sweaty Goldsmiths Student Union where I saw them a few nights earlier.

I do remember the Monday was absolutely roasting. It was so hot on the train home.

2013 was pretty ideal. I have a theory that the best festival weather is when you don't remember what the weather was. I remember 2010 because it was (dare I say too) hot, 2011 for the deluge on the Wednesday, which made setting up camp very difficult, but then the redemptive sun coming out for Pulp on the Saturday, 2016 for MUD HELL... but, like, 2013 I have no memory of the weather, apart from basking in the sun in front of the Pyramid one of the days (Sunday?)

So ideal festival weather = you can't really remember what the weather was like.

• Upvote 2