West Holts 2017

Gucci Piggy

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

8 minutes ago, elbongo said:

Is there substance to ATCQ? This would be great news.

Albeit without what's his name :( 

that's the one thing that is making me feel less bad about the clash. I've always preferred Phife's verses to Tip's, so for me personally it wont be the same without him there.

I'm sure it will still be a great set though.

27 minutes ago, rhg_99 said:

that's the one thing that is making me feel less bad about the clash. I've always preferred Phife's verses to Tip's, so for me personally it wont be the same without him there.

I'm sure it will still be a great set though.

As sad as it is, when Tribe played Wireless a few years back Phife couldn't really handle it. Q-Tip was in great shape and put on an amazing performance, whilst Phife could only do his verses. It was still brilliant, and the crowd was great (I've never met a bad Tribe fan), so I think everybody together celebrating Phife will make for an incredible and emotional show. Tribe are absolutely perfect for West Holts and they've probably had to pay a bit more to make it happen. With Q-Tip, Jarobi and possibly Busta working the stage, its gonna be one of the greats. If it happens, ofc.

Edited by OffshoreToon

1 minute ago, OffshoreToon said:

As sad as it is, when Tribe played Wireless a few years back Phife couldn't really handle it. Q-Tip was in great shape and put on an amazing performance, whilst Phife could only do his verses. It was still brilliant, and the crowd was great (I've never met a bad Tribe fan), so I think everybody together celebrating Phife will make for an incredible and emotional show. Tribe are absolutely perfect for West Holts and they've probably had to pay a bit more to make it happen. With Q-Tip, Jarobi and possibly Busta working the stage, its gonna be one of the greats. If it happens, ofc.

come on man can't you see I'm tryna convince myself that it wont be all that as I'll most likely be missing it! :D

I'm sure you're right though. If I dont go and then hear afterwards that they've been playing the likes of The Chase Part II, Busta's Lament, Lyrics To Go and Show Business then I'll be especially pissed to have missed it. Earlier in the year when everyone was making their predictions and putting them down for early on the Pyramid I kept saying that they should headline West Holts, just had to be the one day I'm gonna be at the Pyramid didn't it!

1 minute ago, Scruffylovemonster said:

I've wondered about this? Not a big follower so don't shoot me down if this is a stupid question but What do they do? 

Are his verses on tape or is someone else taking his place?

based on their TV performances it seems like they'll play a tape of his verse and do some funny dancing (2:10 in the vid below). I dont think they have actually played any shows yet since the most recent album came out, just TV stuff.

3 hours ago, Jobseeker said:

Think that's Paak isn't it?

Started listening to him after Neil said he was playing West Holts- very enjoyable! Hoping he now doesn't clash with Flaming Lips (who in turn I'm hoping don't clash with Radiohead)

30 minutes ago, rhg_99 said:

come on man can't you see I'm tryna convince myself that it wont be all that as I'll most likely be missing it! :D

I'm sure you're right though. If I dont go and then hear afterwards that they've been playing the likes of The Chase Part II, Busta's Lament, Lyrics To Go and Show Business then I'll be especially pissed to have missed it. Earlier in the year when everyone was making their predictions and putting them down for early on the Pyramid I kept saying that they should headline West Holts, just had to be the one day I'm gonna be at the Pyramid didn't it!

Haha sorry. Saturday night would have been perfect for me, but they'd trump anything that could be on the line up so I just want to see that name ASAP.

If Busta tours with them we might get Scenario as well, even if its just the second half with Tip and Busta going back-and-forth. I need to stop exciting myself since it isn't confirmed, though.

As for Phife's verse, I'm sure there'll be plenty of us filling in for him. "I like 'em brown, yellow, Puetro Rican and Haitian..." (not the most politically correct in hindsight, but iconic all the same).

Edited by OffshoreToon

8 minutes ago, Mr.Tease said:

Started listening to him after Neil said he was playing West Holts- very enjoyable! Hoping he now doesn't clash with Flaming Lips (who in turn I'm hoping don't clash with Radiohead)

Same, Malibu is incredible! (Also watch that Tiny Desk thing with them if you haven't already).

But exactly as with getting into The National I have played myself. Clashes left, right and centre! 

I just hope the info is wrong and he is Sunday so I can actually get round to seeing him before he gets massive.

1 minute ago, OffshoreToon said:

As for Phife's verse, I'm sure there'll be plenty of us filling in for him. "I like 'em brown, yellow, Puetro Rican and Haitian..." (not the most politically correct in hindsight, but iconic all the same).

yeh for sure he always had my favorite verses and bars. I'd be intrigued to hear what its like though as the crowd isnt gonna be filling in his entire verses, just certain lyrics like the one you mentioned. His first verse in Check The Rhime is definitely his most memorable to me, feel like I've know all the lyrics to that song since I was about 13 :)

40 minutes ago, rhg_99 said:

yeh for sure he always had my favorite verses and bars. I'd be intrigued to hear what its like though as the crowd isnt gonna be filling in his entire verses, just certain lyrics like the one you mentioned. His first verse in Check The Rhime is definitely his most memorable to me, feel like I've know all the lyrics to that song since I was about 13 :)

Jarobi might fill in since he only started rapping in the new album, but I don't know if he'd feel comfortable doing that. I think as long as they don't play too many of his verses, just having the vocals play will work well. One of the worst aspects of hip hop gigs is when they cut out guest verses that are incredible.

14 minutes ago, OffshoreToon said:

Jarobi might fill in since he only started rapping in the new album, but I don't know if he'd feel comfortable doing that. I think as long as they don't play too many of his verses, just having the vocals play will work well. One of the worst aspects of hip hop gigs is when they cut out guest verses that are incredible.

ahh man I know what you mean, definitely the biggest drawback of hip hop shows.

10 hours ago, willsnewman said:

Stop building my excitement up so much. I'm going to be very sad if it doesn't happen now...

I was just thinking the same thing as I scrolled down and saw your post. :lol:

Still, there's a decent chance of it being right I reckon, cos there's defo people connected to Paak who 'think' it's ATCQ he's performing before.

I saw that the MC of the West Holts stage has confirmed she'll be there and said something like "I can't tell you who's playing but it's all your favourite albums from last year" or something. I know it's a purposely vague statement but does that help much with who's to come? She's not wrong if we're looking at ATCQ, Paak, Solange, Avalanches, BBNG and Justice off the back of reasonably-to-very well received  2016 albums.