West Holts 2017

Gucci Piggy

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, thewayiam said:

Of course not but who needs MJ is a pretty big statement to make when you watch them now compared to with him....the answer is them lol. 

It will not be the same without possibly the greatest pop star that has ever walked the earth.

Yet given the choice of a load of stone cold party classics or the monotonous, shouty, guitar dirge produced by the Foo Fighters, there is only one option.

There are a lot of downbeat bands on this year. The Jacksons stand out like a little ray on sunshine anongst the gloom.

36 minutes ago, eastynh said:

It will not be the same without possibly the greatest pop star that has ever walked the earth.

Yet given the choice of a load of stone cold party classics or the monotonous, shouty, guitar dirge produced by the Foo Fighters, there is only one option.

There are a lot of downbeat bands on this year. The Jacksons stand out like a little ray on sunshine anongst the gloom.

This is some insightful and succinct posting my man

1 hour ago, eastynh said:

I couldn't agree more. @thewayiam is completely right to suggest that The Jacksons are far far poorer an act without Michael Jackson. But that still doesn't change the fact that Jermaine and his brothers are still massively talented and charismatic performers, and more importantly have a staggeringly great back catalogue. With Michael they would headline the whole festival. Without they're merely as good as Earth Wind and Fire.

8 hours ago, FloorFiller said:

The xx not coming off too well there - not boding well for my prediction of them nailing the main stage sub slot, although I'm sure they'll go down a lot better over here/at Glastonbury than Coachella.

I thought they sounded great, what do the Guardian know pffftt ^_^

2 hours ago, eastynh said:

You're right about MJ but as for the rest, what lineup are you looking at bar Friday night I admit?, as long as you are away from the Pyramid you avoid the bore fest.

30 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

I couldn't agree more. @thewayiam is completely right to suggest that The Jacksons are far far poorer an act without Michael Jackson. But that still doesn't change the fact that Jermaine and his brothers are still massively talented and charismatic performers, and more importantly have a staggeringly great back catalogue. With Michael they would headline the whole festival. Without they're merely as good as Earth Wind and Fire.

Thanks but in fairness if Jermaine was all that and remembered then he wouldn't need a stint on Big Brother which then didn't help at all. 

Just now, thewayiam said:

You're right about MJ but as for the rest, what lineup are you looking at bar Friday night I admit?, as long as you are away from the Pyramid you avoid the bore fest.

Thanks but in fairness if Jermaine was all that and remembered then he wouldn't need a stint on Big Brother which then didn't help at all. 

This is a good point!

If you became prejudiced against people on the basis of appearing on Big Brother, imagine how much poorer your life would be without all those classic works by Goldie Lookin Chain, or Preston & The Bottlemen, or Punk Donny, or whatever 90s pop band the racist one was in. The list goes on.

1 minute ago, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

If you became prejudiced against people on the basis of appearing on Big Brother, imagine how much poorer your life would be without all those classic works by Goldie Lookin Chain, or Preston & The Bottlemen, or Punk Donny, or whatever 90s pop band the racist one was in. The list goes on.

And Pete Burns from DOA.

21 minutes ago, thewayiam said:

The Saturday does not really appeal to me either apart from the West Holts potential line up.

From reading on here it is looking like Saha on at the Glade. If it was Sasha doing a Shelleys set then I would watch that above anything else (including NO and DM). His stuff with Digweed does not really interest me.

51 minutes ago, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

It's not that at all lol, it's purely the fact that he went on there and made it out practically before he'd got there. If he was good enough to front The Jacksons like MJ then his career wouldn't have been over since MJ left to go solo.

49 minutes ago, Wanderlei said:

And Pete Burns from DOA.

This is my point completely to be fair.

48 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

It's a moot point. The Bee Gees are playing and they've only got one original member left.

At least he's the original lead though and he's doing a set with Bee Gees songs in just like Weller has with The Jam and so on....this holds no weight ;p

32 minutes ago, eastynh said:

The Saturday does not really appeal to me either apart from the West Holts potential line up.

From reading on here it is looking like Saha on at the Glade. If it was Sasha doing a Shelleys set then I would watch that above anything else (including NO and DM). His stuff with Digweed does not really interest me.

At least it isn't just Sash! as then I'd have to choose.

The Jacksons are winning the race for my attention on the Saturday def, with or without Michael, they'll be fun and everyone will know 90% of the music, so you know it'll be a great time. Going off some of the videos on youtube it looks like just a good bloody laugh, esp against the marathon/slog that'll be the Foos

3 minutes ago, thewayiam said:

It's not that at all lol, it's purely the fact that he went on there and made it out practically before he'd got there. If he was good enough to front The Jacksons like MJ then his career wouldn't have been over since MJ left to go solo.

There's an argument that if Michael had never left for bigger things and was still fronting them today, they'd still be in this position as a heritage motown act at the top of the Holts. How successful they've been since Michael left isn't really a measure of how good they'll be, and nobody's under any illusions that they'll come on stage looking and sounding like it's still the 70s. Art Garfunkel last year was a highlight, despite having all the issues you have about Jermaine and the lads, but to a bigger degree. Thanks for your concern Gazza, but we're under no illusions as to what The Jacksons in 2017 entails.

6 minutes ago, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

There's an argument that if Michael had never left for bigger things and was still fronting them today, they'd still be in this position as a heritage motown act at the top of the Holts. How successful they've been since Michael left isn't really a measure of how good they'll be, and nobody's under any illusions that they'll come on stage looking and sounding like it's still the 70s. Art Garfunkel last year was a highlight, despite having all the issues you have about Jermaine and the lads, but to a bigger degree. Thanks for your concern Gazza, but we're under no illusions as to what The Jacksons in 2017 entails.

For a start The Jacksons are lucky to be topping West Holts and there isn't a chance at all that with MJ they would be on that stage, don't be bloody stupid!

I don't see what the Art argument is?, he was a main man, it was called Simon and Garfunkel, not just Simon.

Issues with Jermaine?, I don't have any, I just questioned their credibility without MJ and that comparing videos was clear and someone said they were shit at Bestival.....not me. You are pulling things out that aren't there here.