Radiohead Headlining 2017

The Nal

2 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

there aren't necessarily any bad songs on the album but it had far more filler than the classic albums that had come before it. Backdrifts, We Suck Young Blood, I Will and Scatterbrain could all be left off and not really missed. There There is one of their all time greats in my eyes though. i fucking love that song. they better play it at Glastonbury!

I think There There is the only one off HTTT that is guaranteed to be played. Then there is probably a toss up between 2+2=5, The Gloaming, WIEAUB and Myxomatosis

It's funny I used to really not like The Gloaming before seeing it live. It was the only post Pablo track I actively disliked , now I genuinely hope they play it. what a beast

Also, love HTTT and wouldn't change it. It's their deepest and most textured album, and one the best/least obtrusive political albums that's been made

Edited by Chawk

I listened to all the albums again over the past week or so and Hail to the Thief was the only one that wasn't at least as good as I'd remembered tbh. There's some great stuff on there but the filler dragged it down too much. There There, Myxomatosis, Backdrifts, Sit Down Stand Up and 2+2=5 are all really good but as others have mentioned you could easily cut 3 or 4 tracks and not miss them much. I even preferred The King of Limbs to it. 

8 hours ago, stuartbert two hats said:

I forgot about Talk Show Host, but they don't seem to know how to end it.  Spectre is alright, but not as good as everyone says.  The Harry Patch song is quite powerful actually.  So that's two - SuperCollider and Harry Patch (In Memory Of) that's up there with the album tracks.

I've obviously forgotten some - it's harsh to say none of them are as good as the album tracks - but in general, I really don't rate most of the singles/b-sides, even those listed above.  To me they would all be relatively weak album tracks, although admittedly not the weakest.

Or maybe I've just not listened to them enough.

I was going to say Harry Patch, it's in my top 5 RH tracks ever definitely

Also, how strong were the Knives Out singles.

1. "Knives Out" – 4:17
  2. "Cuttooth" – 5:25
  3. "Worrywort" – 4:37
  4. "Fog" – 4:05
  5. "Life in a Glasshouse" (full length version) – 5:06

Although Street Spirit is probably still  the strongest overall, that was when it was actually worth buying singles

Edited by Chawk

10 hours ago, FloorFiller said:

somebody on here has heard that they're doing at least one date at Manchester Arena and it can be assumed they'll do London and possibly more as well. rumours of tour dates being announced very soon

Thanks - just enough to keep me clinging on. I'm holding off booking family  holidays etc till I hear either way! Be good if they did something a bit more original re venues but beggars can't be choosers I suppose 

9 hours ago, SwedgeAntilles said:

I think Hail to the Thief is massively underrated, but it suffers from too much filler, I think Thom himself has acknowledged that, that's probably what keeps it from being talked about as highly as OKC/In Rainbows/Kid A.

It's got so many great tracks though, 2+2=5, Sit Down Stand Up, Myxomatosis, Where I End... There There, Go To Sleep. It's a great record by anyone else's standards.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say every track on Hail To The Thief is better than Electioneering.

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, glastobuds said:

Thanks - just enough to keep me clinging on. I'm holding off booking family  holidays etc till I hear either way! Be good if they did something a bit more original re venues but beggars can't be choosers I suppose 

London, Manchester and Glasgow pretty much a lock I'd say - apparently SMG Europe (operator of Manchester) want another gig at one of their venues and are willing to be very accommodating. That would be either a second night in Manchester, or a show at Newcastle or Leeds.

SMG apparently did the same with Green Day - they were doing only a three date UK tour with Glasgow initially penciled in instead of Leeds and they managed to convince them to drop that Scottish show for Yorkshire. For how much, I've no idea though...

3 minutes ago, DownboundTrain52 said:

SMG apparently did the same with Green Day - they were doing only a three date UK tour with Glasgow initially penciled in instead of Leeds and they managed to convince them to drop that Scottish show for Yorkshire. For how much, I've no idea though...

Grounds for #indyref2 right there.

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Grounds for #indyref2 right there.

As I'm off to the Leeds dates, no complaints - but as Glasgow and Leeds are two of the biggest metropoliton areas in the country, it ticks me off when a band announces a six date UK tour of London, Birmingham, Cardiff, Nottingham, Manchester and Newcastle. Or a three date tour of London, Birmingham, Manchester. But hey, what can we do? (Except start a petition).

34 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

I'm going to go out on a limb and say every track on Hail To The Thief is better than Electioneering.

I've got a bit of a soft spot for Electioneering. It's not aged well but I have good memories of it when it came out.

12 hours ago, SwedgeAntilles said:

They've definitely played it at a couple of the recent gigs. Mentioned above I've got a feeling they'll stick that in after Burn the Witch at Glastonbury

12 hours ago, scaryclaireyfairy said:

A light and possibly inaccurate checking tells me they've played it once since '09.  Mexico, where they went batshit with thew woaaah-ohhhs.

They know Glasto would also go mental with the woaaah-ohhhs.

Have faith in Ed.  He always used to be the one to do the setlist.

11 hours ago, jparx said:

I think I'd explode if the burst in to The Bends second. It'd be a genuine health risk!

This. I'd lose my shit. 

44 minutes ago, DownboundTrain52 said:

London, Manchester and Glasgow pretty much a lock I'd say - apparently SMG Europe (operator of Manchester) want another gig at one of their venues and are willing to be very accommodating. That would be either a second night in Manchester, or a show at Newcastle or Leeds.

By accommodating are you talking more money? 

Two nights up north for Radiohead would be a luxury compared to what we've had before. 

33 minutes ago, arcade fireman said:

By accommodating are you talking more money? 

Two nights up north for Radiohead would be a luxury compared to what we've had before. 

I'm guessing so. Accommodating I think also may refer to additional bonuses, though not sure what.  It's the word used though, specifically - accommodating.

I feel it could be a I scratch yours, you scratch mine kind of deal? SMG run a ton of arenas and the way I understood it was that if they can try to secure better deals for their venues with artist management. So I guess financial boons for both parties, either in monetary or non-monetary sense.

Another example I'd heard; SMG struck a deal with Pearl Jam that their next UK shows after Manchester, if indoor, would be exclusive SMG venues. Ergo, Pearl Jam played Leeds (then circumvented this with a MK Bowl show).

Two dates in t'North would be luxury, not seen since t'days of coal scuttles getting gilded handles!