Radiohead Headlining 2017

The Nal

I would upvote this, like everyone else. Only this gig happened in 2000, aeons ago. The last time Radiohead put up a series of videos, people thought the videos were going to culminate in a U.K Radiohead show. The show still hasn't happened. So I don't think they'll be a Pyramid Radiohead headline slot after all this. It'll just be the Selway town band with Laura Marling on tambourine.

Always hope they'll do another Oxford hometown show. I was too young to go to South Park, it will be 20 years since the last one next year. Common People didn't take place there last year so there is certainly space for something to happen there next year. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, reflekting said:

Always hope they'll do another Oxford hometown show. I was too young to go to South Park, it will be 20 years since the last one next year. Common People didn't take place there last year so there is certainly space for something to happen there next year. 

I have a lot of hope for these, new, smaller festivals. They seem to be the next big thing.

41 minutes ago, stt11 said:

I would upvote this, like everyone else. Only this gig happened in 2000, aeons ago. The last time Radiohead put up a series of videos, people thought the videos were going to culminate in a U.K Radiohead show. The show still hasn't happened. So I don't think they'll be a Pyramid Radiohead headline slot after all this. It'll just be the Selway town band with Laura Marling on tambourine.

Don't think anyone is expecting that tbh. It'll just be nice to kick off an otherwise brutal Easter weekend with some Radiohead. That's certainly why I donated my upvote.

• 2 weeks later...

Narrowing down Radiohead songs to a top ten is so tough, but I did it. Currently it's ...

1. Identikit
  2. Lotus Flower
  3. Separator
  4. Give Up The Ghost
  5. Codex
  6. Subterranean Homesick Alien
  7. Present Tense
  8. Exit Music (For A Film)
  9. Paranoid Android
  10. 15 Step

Note : King Of Limbs Live From The Basement versions included.

Edited by Little Andy
  • Upvote 1

38 minutes ago, Little Andy said:

Narrowing down Radiohead songs to a top ten is so tough, but I did it. Currently it's ...

1. Identikit
  2. Lotus Flower
  3. Separator
  4. Give Up The Ghost
  5. Codex
  7. Present Tense
  9. Paranoid Android
  10. 15 Step

I certainly commend your originality.

5 hours ago, Little Andy said:

1. Identikit
  2. Lotus Flower
  3. Separator
  4. Give Up The Ghost
  5. Codex
  7. Present Tense
  9. Paranoid Android
  10. 15 Step

It is original but I'll give an upvote Andy. 

King of Limbs is underrated. Codex and Separator are amazing.

No Reckoner though?

I had a go at a top ten - ranking was hard. 

1. Videotape (Bonnaroo 2006)
  2. Everything In Its Right Place (London 2012 / Bonnaroo 2006)
  3. Motion Picture Soundtrack
  4. How To Disappear Completely (Bonnaroo 2006)
  5. Just
  6. Codex
  7. Jigsaw Falling Into Place
  8. The National Anthem (IMBW)
  9. Like Spinning Plates (IMBW)
  10. Paranoid Android (Glastonbury 1997)

If it could only be studio versions it would probably look quite different, the Kid A/B era is so well suited to the live environment so that's why most of those are marked as such. I went through a phase of listening to their bootlegs obsessively about five years ago and the 2000-1 / 2006 live shows were on heavy rotation. I excluded non-released songs for the sake of this list, the 2017 Follow Me Around might make it in otherwise. I assume that the 2006 Bonnaroo show is going to be one of the gigs that they put up in the weekly sessions, it really is their best show, so look forward to that one (or watch it on youtube now).

9 hours ago, BlackZeppelin said:

It is original but I'll give an upvote Andy. 

King of Limbs is underrated. Codex and Separator are amazing.

No Reckoner though?

It blows me away how under appreciated King of Limbs is. Any Radiohead fan who hasn't seen or heard King Of Limbs Live From the Basement really must do, I've been listening to songs from it on loop during lockdown, for me it's the absolute pinnacle.

If the Thom Yorke solo version of Bloom counted, that'd easily be in my top 10, too. But I think that's cheating.

I nearly edited my top 10 to put Reckoner on. Then I considered My Iron Lung, and eventually realised I'd be here all day if I started messing with it.

Edited by Little Andy

2 minutes ago, Little Andy said:

It blows me away how under appreciated King of Limbs is. Any Radiohead fan who hasn't seen or heard King Of Limbs Live From the Basement really must do, I've been listening to songs from it on loop during lockdown, for me it's the absolute pinnacle.

If the Thom Yorke solo version of Bloom counted, that'd easily be in my top 10, too. But I think that's cheating.

I nearly edited my top 10 to put Reckoner on. Then I considered My Iron Lung, and eventually realised I'd be hear all day if I started messing with it.

Agree. I sort of consider KoL Phil's album.

Some brilliant hypnotic beats and time signatures.

As (an admittedly very amateur ) drummer, I worship at the Shrine of Selway anyway.  But what he does here is extraordinary. 

The Live in the Basement is great...in fact, I seem to have a free hour and the kids are driving me up the wall.....

In a similar way, I see AMSP as Colin's album. It's full of amazing basslines (to a non-bassist, here) - The Numbers, Identikit, Ful Stop (although I think Thom might have written that one). I remember a musician friend of mine saying that Decks Dark was a true 'bassist's song' and he's not wrong. 

King of Limbs is a really good record and it's one of those where the songs are much better live than on record (feel the same about This is Happening). Bloom and Lotus Flower are massive live, and Codex is definitely underrated (although maybe not underrated on here).

I'd still find it hard to rank those tunes in the top 10. Not as though that's a damning statement though when you're talking about Radiohead, a band with three GOAT records (OKC, Kid A, In Rainbows). 

I've reached the point where I genuinely can't provide a ranked top 10. I'll whack 10 of my favourites below, but I can't order it. And there's about 15 tunes that could easily be swapped in. 

• Like Spinning Plates (live)
  • Motion Picture Soundtrack
  • Fog [Again] (Live)
  • Street Spirit
  • Reckoner
  • Let Down
  • Exit Music
  • True Love Waits (live)
  • Nude
  • Fake Plastic Trees

14 hours ago, sirjonnyp said:

In a similar way, I see AMSP as Colin's album. It's full of amazing basslines (to a non-bassist, here) - The Numbers, Identikit, Ful Stop (although I think Thom might have written that one). I remember a musician friend of mine saying that Decks Dark was a true 'bassist's song' and he's not wrong. 

Agree. For some reason The Numbers is my favourite song at the moment. A quiet protest song that seems very apt. The PT Anderson clip is so engaging and Johnnys beautiful effortless fretting with his head bowed over his guitar. 

They're just a bunch of geniuses (or whatever the plural should be).

As jparx says, the best you can do is put down your 10 best for the moment, but as soon as you do that and you listen to something like  Decks Dark and you think, God that's a perfect song.

2 hours ago, Matt42 said:

Did I miss this? Ed said that the band were planning to tour in 2021 but unlikely to now.

Might explain why Thom hasn’t rolled over dates yet

http://www.noise11.com/news/ed-obrien-says-radiohead-2021-plans-now-in-doubt-20200419

They work to a new album every four/five years give ot take, so it’s quite possible they were planning to get together to record new material and tour next year. The COVID crisis could easily delay those plans if individual members want to rearrange their own stuff.

11 hours ago, Hugh Jass said:

They work to a new album every four/five years give ot take, so it’s quite possible they were planning to get together to record new material and tour next year. The COVID crisis could easily delay those plans if individual members want to rearrange their own stuff.

I think because the Radiohead camp is always so quiet it’s just great to hear that new stuff is in the works. I’m pretty sure for AMSP they were very secretive with what they were planning.

3 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

I think because the Radiohead camp is always so quiet it’s just great to hear that new stuff is in the works. I’m pretty sure for AMSP they were very secretive with what they were planning.

Yep didn’t really hear much at all until their website started to degrade and we got Burn the Witch. I know album promo stunts are done to death these days, but god that was exciting. 

Not expecting anything new until late 2021 or even 2022 myself what with Thom and Ed doing their solo stuff/tours and especially now with what’s going on in the world. 

21 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

Yep didn’t really hear much at all until their website started to degrade and we got Burn the Witch. I know album promo stunts are done to death these days, but god that was exciting. 

Not expecting anything new until late 2021 or even 2022 myself what with Thom and Ed doing their solo stuff/tours and especially now with what’s going on in the world. 

So Radiohead headlining 2022 yeah?