Radiohead Headlining 2017

The Nal

On 7/2/2016 at 4:22 PM, dentalplan said:

Was looking at old Radiohead threads for Rosscoe's original café post and saw lots of lists, obviously. TKOL was doing much better on those than the 'second worst' mantle it holds now. Wonder if the same will happen to AMSP.

It did.

Also, dentalplan from 2016, while I have your ear, don’t bother with the whole ‘Foals to headline Glastonbury’ thing.

Edited by dentalplan
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

It did.

Also, dentalplan from 2016, while I have your ear, don’t bother with the whole ‘Foals to headline Glastonbury’ thing.

Nobody wants to admit that your favourite bands newest album doesn’t hold a candle to their peak stuff, especially when that band is Radiohead 😄 

Still though, they’ve yet to release an actual bad, real misstep of an album, so I await that day and the meltdown it causes on here/in the indiesphere. Maybe TKOL is as close as we’ll ever get. 

37 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

Nobody wants to admit that your favourite bands newest album doesn’t hold a candle to their peak stuff, especially when that band is Radiohead 😄 

Still though, they’ve yet to release an actual bad, real misstep of an album, so I await that day and the meltdown it causes on here/in the indiesphere. Maybe TKOL is as close as we’ll ever get. 

Wonder if Radiohead albums will be a big deal going forward. Certainly not the same hype for the next one as before ‘LP9’, despite the next one coming off the back of a better album. Just thinking it might be a case that expectations are lower now and they’re seen to be more of a legacy act, where people will just be happy to see them touring and releasing new output than being a vital band.

Answer that 2025 dentalplan, you old c**t.

4 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

Wonder if Radiohead albums will be a big deal going forward. Certainly not the same hype for the next one as before ‘LP9’, despite the next one coming off the back of a better album. Just thinking it might be a case that expectations are lower now and they’re seen to be more of a legacy act, where people will just be happy to see them touring and releasing new output than being a vital band.

Answer that 2025 dentalplan, you old c**t.

I’d say they’ve certainly become a legacy act, albeit one who are still releasing good music instead of desperately living off their past glories. I don’t think anybody’s really expecting them to strike gold for a fourth time - silver will do just fine. 

The hype around LP9 was largely spurred on by the hilariously ‘Radiohead’ gimmicks etc they were doing leading up to it so guess it depends how they release the next one - I expect with less silly fanfare, but I don’t think they can help themselves when it comes to gimmicks. Still waiting on them to just say ‘fuck it’ and release another guitar fuelled ripper one of these days...

1 hour ago, FloorFiller said:

I’d like to think if they ever came close to that they’d just scrap it.

I think they’d rather not release an album again other than release a shite one. They spend too much time on their albums for it  to just be shite

I don't think they've got a bad album in them. 

The poorest of Radiohead albums would still be better than anything most bands could put out. 

Side note... 

What do we all think of EOB's new album? I like it more and more with each listen. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Matt42 said:

I love how this thread has resurrected due to suggestion of new material

World: With all this time on our hands during lockdown, let's learn an instrument or bake sour dough bread every day.

Efests: Nah I'll just have a go at my Radiohead list again. 

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

I’d like to think if they ever came close to that they’d just scrap it.

I think they’d rather not release an album again other than release a shite one. They spend too much time on their albums for it  to just be shite

We’re operating on the assumption that they wouldn’t realise it was shite, like whenever any artist releases a shite album. :P

29 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

We’re operating on the assumption that they wouldn’t realise it was shite, like whenever any artist releases a shite album. :P

Yes but also no. Going to be pedantic on this one.

A lot of artists release shit albums because they are usually rushing to meet a deadline. They usually have a contract with their label to release an album every so often. The crunch to meet deadlines usually results in an album being of “low” quality. 

Maybe it’s just me being a fan but it seems like Thom and the boys write albums because they want to write them, and they spend a bit longer working on them than some artists operating under a “crunch” do.

1 hour ago, FloorFiller said:

I’d say they’ve certainly become a legacy act, albeit one who are still releasing good music instead of desperately living off their past glories. I don’t think anybody’s really expecting them to strike gold for a fourth time - silver will do just fine. 

The hype around LP9 was largely spurred on by the hilariously ‘Radiohead’ gimmicks etc they were doing leading up to it so guess it depends how they release the next one - I expect with less silly fanfare, but I don’t think they can help themselves when it comes to gimmicks. Still waiting on them to just say ‘fuck it’ and release another guitar fuelled ripper one of these days...

Fourth time? The Bends, Ok Computer, Kid A and In Rainbows not all gold?

4 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

A lot of artists release shit albums because they are usually rushing to meet a deadline. They usually have a contract with their label to release an album every so often. The crunch to meet deadlines usually results in an album being of “low” quality. 

Maybe it’s just me being a fan but it seems like Thom and the boys write albums because they want to write them, and they spend a bit longer working on them than some artists operating under a “crunch” do.

They're certainly past the point where they "do a Zutons third album" and destroy their career because of label pressure.

3 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Fourth time? The Bends, Ok Computer, Kid A and In Rainbows not all gold?

Y’Know, The Bends kind of slipped my mind there, so yeah I’d stick it in the same category, even though I know it seems small fry in their grander story, and there could be an argument that a lot of it hasn’t aged so well. 

10 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

It’s really not that deep.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, nikkic said:

I don't think they've got a bad album in them. 

The poorest of Radiohead albums would still be better than anything most bands could put out. 

Side note... 

What do we all think of EOB's new album? I like it more and more with each listen. 

Picked up the vinyl of it yesterday, I'm really enjoying it too.

33 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

It really is. There’s a big difference between artists rushing to get an album out and artists that take their time and work hard on it.

No shit. Unless you think the only difference between a good album and a bad album is time spent working on it, it’s irrelevant and I have no idea why you’re telling me about it.

Besides, many great albums have been made in a short period under label pressure as well.

Edited by dentalplan

7 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

No shit. Unless you think the only difference between a good album and a bad album is time spent working on it, it’s irrelevant and I have no idea why you’re telling me about it.

Besides, many great albums have been made in a short period under label pressure as well.

It’s obviously not the only factor but it’s a pretty important one. I also responded to you because you quoted me?

4 hours ago, FloorFiller said:

The next album is going to be a dubstep/country and western mashup concept album.

It’ll still be ace.

I'm kind of basing this off listening to them as a whole piece, all the way through. I really enjoy all of these, (Yes, even Pablo Honey has some good guitar). My top five is pretty concrete, but I can't seem to rearrange my last 4 in a way I'm super happy with. This is the conclusion I've come to. Sorry Hail to the Thief.

1. OK Computer 

2. The Bends

3. In Rainbows

4. Kid A

5. Amnesiac 

6. The King Of Limbs

7. A Moon Shaped Pool

8. Hail to the Thief

9. Pablo Honey

6 hours ago, FloorFiller said:

But A Moon Shaped Pool did hold a candle to their older stuff. A band this far into their career shouldn't release an album this good. A future classic if you ask me. 

1 minute ago, lighthouse said:

But A Moon Shaped Pool did hold a candle to their older stuff. A band this far into their career shouldn't release an album this good. A future classic if you ask me. 

It really did. It's not like we're talking about some massive drop off in quality. Perhaps taken as a whole, it's not quite as good as Kid A, but there are moments on it that are absolutely as good as anything on any of their other records.  And the same goes for TKOL and HTTT and, lest we forget old number nine has got their biggest song on it.

I've forgotten my point, other than basically, they've not lost it.

I was so happy that they didn't ruin Present Tense in the studio. I haven't heard a song more times since 2016 than that one.

And Daydreaming is an all time top fiver for me. (Being in good company like How To Disappear Completely, Lucky, 15 Step, Climbing Up The Walls, Videotape and Dollars & Cents).