Radiohead Headlining 2017

The Nal

1 hour ago, jparx said:

Without doubt. You tend to see those fans on social media. Whenever 6 Music has a post re: later Radiohead stuff, they always come out in full force saying how Kid A was no good and it all went downhill from there.

Radiohead are one of those acts that have genuinely mastered a number of different genres, and if you're exclusively a fan of guitar driven indie music, it's easy to see how you wouldn't have any interest in Kid A onwards. Equally I know people who only got in to Radiohead when they started experiment more with their sound, and have no time for The Bends.

Not too many bands like that out there, and they tend to be among the greatest of all time.

Interesting to see the amount of activity on this thread recently - clearly a lot of big Radiohead fans on here.  You are all making me feel like I have missed out massively, as I am one of the those people who loved The Bends and OK Computer back in the day, but will admit that I haven't listened to any of the albums since then.  I am not even really sure why - I mustn't have liked Kid A and then must have just given up.  The discussion on here is making me think that was a big mistake and I should really dive back in - which album is best to start with?

5 minutes ago, circus92 said:

Interesting to see the amount of activity on this thread recently - clearly a lot of big Radiohead fans on here.  You are all making me feel like I have missed out massively, as I am one of the those people who loved The Bends and OK Computer back in the day, but will admit that I haven't listened to any of the albums since then.  I am not even really sure why - I mustn't have liked Kid A and then must have just given up.  The discussion on here is making me think that was a big mistake and I should really dive back in - which album is best to start with?

Brace yourself....

• Upvote 3

7 minutes ago, circus92 said:

In Rainbows for sure. A bit of a mix of their previous styles, not overlong, user friendly song-wise and has grown to be known as their latest classic.

8 minutes ago, circus92 said:

giphy.gif

4 hours ago, FloorFiller said:

Yeah can’t wait to see this one. As you say, they were just road testing In Rainbows at the time so a few songs probably died on their arse in a festival setting, but looking back now those 2006 setlists look so damn stacked. 

Already on youtube, but maybe tonights feed is slightly better in quality. Then again its 2006 so probably not. Longest setlist theyve ever done since they used up all the time they were given.

Edited by Suprefan

24 minutes ago, SwedgeAntilles said:

@circus92 another big (non album) recommendation to try and get you back into them would be to watch this;

It's made up of tracks from In Rainbows & Hail To The Thief (and one from Kid A) and the performances are fantastic.

Thanks for that - will definitely check it out 👍

2 minutes ago, circus92 said:

I know - what I have just admitted to is probably sacrilege, but hopefully I can be forgiven 😜

The main thing you need to brace yourself for is the can of worms you've just opened. So many people will have a different opinion for you.

(Though hopefully everyone can recognise that In Rainbows is the most accessible post-OK Computer album, even if people have a different favourite).

16 minutes ago, Little Andy said:

(Though hopefully everyone can recognise that In Rainbows is the most accessible post-OK Computer album, even if people have a different favourite).

And A Moon Shaped Pool?

Dreamy Daydreaming and krauty Ful Stop aside, it's a pretty accessible listen, no? 

33 minutes ago, Suprefan said:

Already on youtube, but maybe tonights feed is slightly better in quality. Then again its 2006 so probably not. Longest setlist theyve ever done since they used up all the time they were given.

Blimey Charlie, that is top quality! As a jonnie come lately to the band I really noticed the difference in Thoms voice, clarity of lyrics to recent drawl is marked. Shame I was too late in appreciating them.

7 minutes ago, lighthouse said:

And A Moon Shaped Pool?

Dreamy Daydreaming and krauty Ful Stop aside, it's a pretty accessible listen, no? 

It is, but In Rainbows is as accessible and, arguably, is also the best thing they've ever done. Would definitely recommend AMSP next though if In Rainbows gets the thumbs up. 

39 minutes ago, Little Andy said:

The main thing you need to brace yourself for is the can of worms you've just opened. So many people will have a different opinion for you.

Most people I know who aren’t really Radiohead fans rank httt as their favourite after ok computer with Amnesiac and King of limbs been the least popular by far.

To be fair I think Hail to the thief is their most underrated album. Take out Backdrifts and we suck young blood and it’s up there with their best.

3 hours ago, stuartbert two hats said:

You seem to have mixed up The Gloaming with 2+2+5 (or There, There).

Otherwise, that's very close to my list of live versions.

There there and 2+2=5 are great but the gloaming is my favourite live of that album.

The album version sounds very flat after hearing the live version . A little bit like Lotus Flower

54 minutes ago, circus92 said:

I know - what I have just admitted to is probably sacrilege, but hopefully I can be forgiven 😜

49 minutes ago, Little Andy said:

Yup, that's the bit I meant!

2 minutes ago, Dave85radiohead said:

There there and 2+2=5 are great but the gloaming is my favourite live of that album.

The album version sounds very flat after hearing the live version . A little bit like Lotus Flower

Agree on Gloaming studio vs live. When I first saw them it was the song I thought would be a duff part of the set, but it sounded massive.