Radiohead Headlining 2017

The Nal

18 hours ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Which version of Like Spinning Plates? It's the I Might Be Wrong one for me. Can't be doing with all the backwards malarkey on the studio version.

Love both versions, but the Might Be Wrong version is in my top 5.

22 minutes ago, Little Andy said:

Cymbal rush? Didnt know Thom solo songs ever got played at Radiohead gigs!

He hadnt even decided if it was a solo track or a radiohead one yet. Same thing with Lotus Flower, he debuted it when Atoms for Peace just started performing live in 2009. 

You can watch cymbal rush here in their encore a few days after LA in Santa Barbara. They webcast that show so its soundboard audio.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=F8GMnXN6hkg

3 hours ago, Suprefan said:

He hadnt even decided if it was a solo track or a radiohead one yet. Same thing with Lotus Flower, he debuted it when Atoms for Peace just started performing live in 2009. 

You can watch cymbal rush here in their encore a few days after LA in Santa Barbara. They webcast that show so its soundboard audio.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=F8GMnXN6hkg

Interesting. What makes him decide if it's solo or not? Maybe how it stands up with him playing it alone? Though maybe not if he will play it will Atoms For Peace.

1. Karma Police
  2. All I Need
  3. Nude
  4. Fake Plastic Trees
  5. No Surprises
  6. Reckoner
  7. Paranoid Android
  8. Idioteque
  9. Exit Music
  10. You And Whose Army 

Honourable Mentions: Daydreaming, Jigsaw, Codex, Myxomatosis (11, 12, 13 and 14) 

Edited by Miyn

5 hours ago, Little Andy said:

Interesting. What makes him decide if it's solo or not? Maybe how it stands up with him playing it alone? Though maybe not if he will play it will Atoms For Peace.

No idea, probably if the band thinks it can work with them or not. But Thom also played Skirting On The Surface at AFP gigs, which was a Radiohead song. And Follow Me Around was played for the first time with a band behind it and not just on guitar. To top it off, Paperbag Writer got the AFP treatment too, so maybe more that Thom wanted some different stuff for those gigs? One of my  favorites was them playing Rabbit In Your Headlights.

Edited by Suprefan

4 hours ago, Miyn said:
  1. Karma Police
  2. All I Need
  3. Nude
  4. Fake Plastic Trees
  5. No Surprises
  6. Reckoner
  7. Paranoid Android
  8. Idioteque
  9. Exit Music
  10. You And Whose Army 

Honourable Mentions: Daydreaming, Jigsaw, Codex, Myxomatosis (11, 12, 13 and 14) 

I briefly thought there were four different versions of Myxomatosis and got excited, because I'm only aware of two (studio and live)

14 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Tempted to do a top ten of tracks that are better live and and a top ten of tracks that are better in the studio. But it sounds like an awful lot of work. So far I have:

Better live:

Like Spinning Plates

Lotus Flower

Bloom (well, practically all of KOL)

Better Studio

Let Down

Myxomatosis

I loved hearing it at TRNSMT but Reckoner comes across better on the studio version. Burn the Witch is another that seems much better on the studio version. 

Ful Stop seems an obvious one for better live. 

The 2006 live version of Videotape > Studio version > subsequent live versions

There's a few long and nerdy videos out there about the syncopation in that song - the 2006 version didn't have any and was able to rock out more, so it's kind of unfair to compare it with what went on the record, which is a fair more delicate and haunting affiar. The subsequent live versions have been fairly true to that, although can't get close enough to the gracefulness of the studio version. 

Like Burn The Witch, Jigsaw is another one that they never quite got right live for me. The Scotch Mist version in particular grates, and although it definitely improved over the next year or so (like BTW) I understand completely why they dropped it from the setlists. 

I much prefer Kid A (the song) on record to live versions, although as with the KoL material, being at the gig with a decent soundsystem probably makes a big difference. 

9 hours ago, kingcrawler said:

I loved hearing it at TRNSMT but Reckoner comes across better on the studio version. Burn the Witch is another that seems much better on the studio version. 

Ful Stop seems an obvious one for better live. 

But there was always the old old version of Burn The Witch that had Jonny using a banjo.

Ful Stop has changed quite a bit. The 2012 version was really synthy and didnt even have the long intro. Then in 2016 it had more guitar which then changed to less guitar in 2017.

i just think seeing how they like to change some songs over the course of a tour is always interesting. This last album cycle gave them that kinda leeway since it was 2 1/2 years of gigs. 

and yeah, 2006 videotape was the best thing. Just look up the Bonnaroo show and you got it right there.

10 hours ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Better live:

Bloom (well, practically all of KOL)

Agree with you on the TKOL part, except for Little By Little. That one is far superior in the studio. Well for me it is. It captures a weird lush atmosphere (the subtle layers of guitar!) they never really translated in a live context. 

8 hours ago, sirjonnyp said:

I much prefer Kid A (the song) on record to live versions, although as with the KoL material, being at the gig with a decent soundsystem probably makes a big difference. 

Would have to agree with you, but have you ever seen this version? Love how Thom wiles out at the song's peak

On 6/17/2020 at 6:02 PM, stuartbert two hats said:

Does anyone know Vinyl Junkies? The name rang a bell , but I'd never seen it before.  This is a first time list reaction video to Radiohead.  The listener is going through their albums.  He didn't like Pablo Honey, thought The Bends was ok.  There was a somewhat stronger reaction to OK Computer...

For some bizarre reason, the full thing is still up, songs and all - none of his other videos are (Kid A and Amnesiac are also there, but without the music, so not so good).  He does go on a bit, but gets genuinely moved by the record.  Well worth a watch.

Old Man Listens to A Moon Shaped Pool, live right NOW - 

• Like 1

Just finishing watching the Reading 2009 set. I wasn't at either, but from watching on TV, Reading was a stronger performance than Glastonbury 2017. They looked like they were loving it onstage as well. 

7 minutes ago, Alan_C said:

Just finishing watching the Reading 2009 set. I wasn't at either, but from watching on TV, Reading was a stronger performance than Glastonbury 2017. They looked like they were loving it onstage as well. 

Just watching it now on the iplayer livestream. Loved 2017, but wish they'd found room for National Anthem. That was great

24 minutes ago, Alan_C said:

I had the feeling they were loving the 2017 performance even more. Reading felt a bit tired. Still really good though. 

32 minutes ago, Alan_C said:

Is it the full set? Watching live now and it seems they haven't cut a track yet!