Radiohead Headlining 2017

The Nal

3 minutes ago, Madyaker said:

I don't think I want to watch the set again just yet. But I can't anyway since I'm in Ireland and can't watch iPlayer. Surely I can find a torrent somewhere?

Its currently up on YouTube but that usually doesnt last long.

Also if you simply use a VPN proxy like Hola on Chrome you can watch the iPlayer

18 hours ago, brendan84 said:

Fake plastic trees was goosebumps

To be honest, I'm getting goosebumps just reading everyones comments and having it bring back memories

By far, the greatest musical experience of my life, spent with some of the most important people in my life, very close to the front. It felt like more than a musical experience tbh, and my friends and I spent much of the festival trying to find the words to express how we'd felt during it. But i think it's best summed up how at the end we just turned to each other and said "What the fuck just happened?!?!"

2 hours ago, Ipayne said:

Just to clarify guys, I filled in the form (which is what I meant by survey, sorry) and it redirected me back to waste and that was that. However, I emailed them on Monday and they responded yesterday saying that their data showed that I hadn't responded therefore the tickets had been cancelled! It must have been some error with it going through

That's a pain in the arse. Sorry to hear that! Are you going to rebuy tickets?

2 hours ago, Ipayne said:

Just to clarify guys, I filled in the form (which is what I meant by survey, sorry) and it redirected me back to waste and that was that. However, I emailed them on Monday and they responded yesterday saying that their data showed that I hadn't responded therefore the tickets had been cancelled! It must have been some error with it going through

Long story but I've ended up with 3 spare front standing tickets. Think they are £75 face value, PM me if you are interested. 2 are print off tickets, 1 is a physical ticket that I'd need to post out.

Edited by Thunderstruck

16 minutes ago, Sasperella said:

But i think it's best summed up how at the end we just turned to each other and said "What the fuck just happened?!?!"

Exactly the same reaction me and my friend had as soon as the set finished. Got back to our camp to meet back with with the rest of our group and they were the same. Incredible the reaction that a gig can give you if it's good enough.

On 24/06/2017 at 6:00 PM, whoozyschmoozy said:

Unfortunately yes that is a lull for people that aren't familiar with their albums! Playing the first hour without a well known single or hit isn't going to persuade people on the fence to hang around. As Radiohead fans we know that Lucky etc are well known Radiohead songs, but they're not well known to the general public. All I'm saying is that they could have spread the hits out more, so instead of it being a barrage at the end they could have been spread a bit more to keep people interested.

As an example, Coldplay in 2011 opened their set with a song that nobody knew and wasn't even released yet. But they hit back with Yellow and In My Place as #2 and #3 to keep the crowd on side. Radiohead played a downbeat piano number and 5 album tracks for their first 6 songs. I mean, who outside of people already keen Radiohead fans would know any of those first 6 or 7 tracks? 

I'm not saying the gig was a bad one at all, clearly it was fantastic for many people. But there are lots of reports that people were streaming out within half an hour (as happens with a lot of headliners to be fair), and I'm suggesting that the opening to the set didn't do much to help prevent this

I can see where you're coming from, but Joe public should put in some of the effort too.  They've had over 20 years to listen their biggest album which has frequently polled as the best album ever (or one of).  Even if I hadn't heard Airbag before, it still would have been mindblowing last Friday.

FWIW though, it was a great set but could have been improved slightly.  I would have cut Bloom, Myxomatosis, 15 Step, Daydreaming (or at least moved its position) and possibly even Lotus Flower/You and Whose Army/Creep for any of:

Planet Telex
The Bends
Just
My Iron Lung
Climbing up the Walls
The Tourist
How to Disappear...
Talk Show Host
All I Need

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

23 hours ago, kaytee... said:

I thought it was brilliant, stood a few rows from front and everyone around me was loving it. Like me there was quite a few who had been abandoned by their group so went to see them alone but everyone was so friendly that I didn't even mind so much

Your friends made a massive error! :P

I do like Radiohead and I did like a number of the songs they performed last friday, the first half hour/hour of the set wasn't great though compared to what it was building towards.

They were better at V Festival some 10/11 years ago and arguably better at Reading in 2009 as well and when I saw them at the Hammersmith Apollo.

Even though they are a perfect fit for the Pyramid Stage and I was really glad I saw them, it was missing something.

51 minutes ago, jcd_lowe said:

I can see where you're coming from, but Joe public should put in some of the effort too.  They've had over 20 years to listen their biggest album which has frequently polled as the best album ever (or one of).  Even if I hadn't heard Airbag before, it still would have been mindblowing last Friday.

FWIW though, it was a great set but could have been improved slightly.  I would have cut Bloom, Myxomatosis, 15 Step, Daydreaming (or at least moved its position) and possibly even Lotus Flower/You and Whose Army/Creep for any of:

Planet Telex
The Bends
Just
My Iron Lung
Climbing up the Walls
The Tourist
How to Disappear...
Talk Show Host
All I Need

I think the setlist we got is about as much as Radiohead would budge on giving us a greatest hits set - there was no way they were just gonna ignore TKOL and only play one song from AMSP (christ, I'm surprised they only gave us two) in favour of playing a shitload from The Bends and even more from OK Computer, and tbh considering they're constantly pushing forward and trying out new stuff it would've seemed like a massive step backwards if they had done so. A mix up of the setlist probably would've kept a few more people in the field, but you can only ask so much from them, and also it would've meant we didn't get that ludicrously good final run of songs, so fuck those people.

• Upvote 5

2 hours ago, jparx said:

That's a pain in the arse. Sorry to hear that! Are you going to rebuy tickets?

I have bought General Admission tickets now, gutted that I'm gonna have to be further back and can't stand with a couple of my friends I'm going with anymore but not gonna miss it!

2 hours ago, Thunderstruck said:

Long story but I've ended up with 3 spare front standing tickets. Think they are £75 face value, PM me if you are interested. 2 are print off tickets, 1 is a physical ticket that I'd need to post out.

Hey, thanks for the offer but I have literally just bought GA tickets. I hope you find someone!

On 27/06/2017 at 11:32 AM, CaledonianGonzo said:

Sounds pretty good on the catch up.

Edit: Actuality, can see why Myxomatosis maybe started folk heading off elsewhere.

Yep. Myxomatosis separated the (wo)men from the (girls) boys. It was fucking huge.

• Upvote 1

Was brilliant, and as good a Radiohead festival set I could have hoped for in 2017. Got myself right in the middle of the pit after Royal Blood. A long 5 hours, but well worth it - great atmosphere down there.

Setlist was spot on for the occasion. I'm no superfan of Let Down and FPT like some on here, but they were definite highlights. The place kicked off for 2+2=5 which was great. Ful Stop was huge. EIIRP sounds completely re-energised in its new synth heavy form. 

Neagtives? Nit picking really. Myxomatosis sounded a bit... off to me. Out of tune? Enjoyed the strong and stable lyrics addition though ha. Screen footage would have been nice, to see the band reactions, particularly for those further back. Added a bit extra when watching the gig back.

There was a friendly lass next to me who was reduced to tears after arguing with her boyfriend throughout weird fishes... dampened the mood briefly. Oh and the shirtless meathead in front of me, who got on his mate's shoulders for the entirety of There There, and immediately went back up again for Bodysnatchers! The 2 songs I was most looking forward to!

But yeah, certainly one of the best Glastonbury sets I've seen. 5*

I'm going to have to give it a few more days before I can bring my self to attack the iplayer and revisit this. Me and two mates, both massive Radiohead fans, positioned ourselves in our usual spot just a little up the hill on the right of the stage. I got miffed with the chatters and we continued to relocate until we were surrounded by people as into it as we were. I remember having to have a word with myself between songs to remember the moment and not to let the booze and drugs make me forget.

A truly special set, the screens didn't bother me at the time because I was so into the music, but I completely understand people not connecting if they weren't as familiar with some of the songs. Other mates of mine who were pilled up and just waiting for the bangers (?) left after a few songs and went to see Dizzee. Troglodytes.

For those seeing them soon... same screens and setlist as Glastonbury at Open'er so far (3 songs in). Sounding great! :)

Edit:

I have the final setlist as:

Daydreaming
Lucky
Ful Stop
15 Step
Airbag
Myxomatosis
All I Need
Pyramid Song
Everything In It's Right Place
Bloom
Identikit
Weird Fishes
Idioteque
The Gloaming
The Numbers
Bodysnatchers
2+2=5

Nude
Let Down
Lotus Flower
Paranoid Android
Reckoner

National Anthem
Street Spirit

Outstanding!

Edited by TomViolence

48 minutes ago, TomViolence said:

For those seeing them soon... same screens and setlist as Glastonbury at Open'er so far (3 songs in). Sounding great! :)

Changed somewhat now. No chance of anywhere near the hit friendly glasto set at Manchester. I think I'd just be happy to hear fake plastic trees 

the comments on here about the set make me happy though - I always knew it'd be special and while I couldn't be there, I'm so glad it was exactly what i would've expected for those who are big fans anyway 

Just now, efcfanwirral said:

Changed somewhat now. No chance of anywhere near the hit friendly glasto set at Manchester. I think I'd just be happy to hear fake plastic trees  

The Manchester set will definitely go back to being a bit more AMSP heavy I'd have thought, and as you say I doubt it'll be just a run through of the hits. Hopefully still get a good wedge of them though, especially with the two dates being condensed in to one. My friend I'm going with didn't go to Glastonbury so would be incredibly pissed if they start dicking round and playing the likes of The Gloaming (like I see they just have done now :lol:).

12 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

My friend I'm going with didn't go to Glastonbury so would be incredibly pissed if they start dicking round and playing the likes of The Gloaming (like I see they just have done now :lol:).

My boyfriend tells me this is their favourite song to play live. The fact they don't give a shit and are playing it at a festival amuses me greatly.

Just now, barkley87 said:

My boyfriend tells me this is their favourite song to play live. The fact they don't give a shit and are playing it at a festival amuses me greatly.

It must be because they've been playing it at every other show (probably more) since it's release. They abandon the likes of Just and Reckoner has now become a rarity but The goddamn Gloaming just keeps on keeping on.

• Upvote 1