Radiohead Headlining 2017

The Nal

2 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

It must be because they've been playing it at every other show (probably more) since it's release. They abandon the likes of Just and Reckoner has now become a rarity but The goddamn Gloaming just keeps on keeping on.

And that is why i love them.

1 hour ago, efcfanwirral said:

Changed somewhat now. No chance of anywhere near the hit friendly glasto set at Manchester. I think I'd just be happy to hear fake plastic trees 

the comments on here about the set make me happy though - I always knew it'd be special and while I couldn't be there, I'm so glad it was exactly what i would've expected for those who are big fans anyway 

Yeah true, guess that was a one-off for Glastonbury.

Great setlist again tonight though. Was nice to see Reckoner back and TNA. Only disappointment* was All I Need (which I've actually been pining for) which just seemed a bit flat.

Smashed it overall though... you're all in for a treat... again :)

*and The Gloaming

1 minute ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

With the best will in the world this isn't really true, is it?  For every person they won over 2 or 3 left.

True.

Maybe they could have won over a few more with a few tweaks to their setup.

But I still like the idea of a certain amount of people going with reservations and coming out as passionate fans.

I think a lot of the people who left were always going to leave - they wanted to see a bit about what Radiohead were about and then head to Dizzee/Major Lazer etc. Those people who left can't have known much Radiohead - they played so much from their most popular album early on.

Sure they could have cracked out PA and FPT early, but if I'm going to see a band and they play the only 3-4 songs I know early, I'm going to be more likely to leave rather than waiting around for songs I don't know/like. 

8 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

With the best will in the world this isn't really true, is it?  For every person they won over 2 or 3 left.

'So many' is obviously relative to the crowd size, not the ratio of stayed/left though.

Just because loads of people left doesn't mean loads of people weren't also won over.

Hardly listened to Radiohead in the last couple of years but watching the stream I thought it was a brilliant, probably the best of the Glastonbury headline sets I've seen. 

Edit: I've not seen many, tbf. 

Edited by bocumaroy

Thought they were absolutely brilliant, had seen the set at the park a few years ago in the pissing rain and with mainly songs i didn't know at the time. This however was a masterclass, haven't watched it back yet its on my to do list for the weekend but god bless them! 

HAIL TO THE THIEF FOREVER!

19 minutes ago, The Nal said:

Thousands left. 

Thousands leave most headliner sets tbh. Attention span has gone down the drain and people are always afraid of missing something better elsewhere. Thousands would leave if Pink Floyd played.

Since when are we rating the success/quality of a performance on punts from people on who may or may not have left by people that may or may not have been there. Bit arbitrary.

The show was a transcendent tour de force. An instaclassic. I've seen over 20 headliners on that Pyramid, this was right up with the best of them.

• Upvote 5

Screens aside, I don't think it was possible for Radiohead to put on a better Glastonbury performance than this.

You'd expect someone choosing Radiohead over everything else on site to at least know OK Computer (or have no complains about not knowing the songs) so the start was fine. Ending the set with so many classics sent the crowd on a huge buzz into the night. 

Didn't really notice too many people at all leaving from the pit. The atmosphere down there still gives me goosebumps. Reflecting on it a week later - it really was one of the all time great shows. Thom's voice was obviously weaker than '03 and '97, but he still held his own up there and the rest of the band put on possibly the greatest Radiohead performance I've seen from my own experience and watching sets online.

3 minutes ago, arcade fireman said:

Yeah after Royal Blood the crowd barely moved down the front where we were. 

Not true at all, loads and loads of people leaving after The xx. Plenty elsewhere to draw the dance fans away. Easily made it through to front and centre. Not quite as drastic as the change over from Katy Perry to The National, though.

9 minutes ago, The Red Telephone said:

True. Tens of thousands also stayed.

Course, and they seemed to have gone down really well with the majority. It was just an observation. I wasn't there and have no interest in even looking at any of the it on iplayer so have nothing invested either way. Merely pointing out that it doesn't seem to be the 100% success people are saying. Providing a bit of balance for historical accuracy!