Radiohead Headlining 2017

The Nal

1 hour ago, SwedgeAntilles said:

So, cause I obsess over these kind of things the other day I decided to compare the two in a song by song vs battle in order to finally solve which was better. First issue was that OKC has 12 tracks to IR's 10. So 'Fitter Happier' is disregarded, and I've also decided to chop off 'The Tourist'. Now you may say that this already puts OKC at a disadvantage but it's the only way I could properly rate them side by side. Now to the individual results;

Yeah but this doesn't take into account how much better each song is than its opposition song, so in reality this achieved nothing.

Well done Swedge, you just played yourself.

But now I'm curious, so...

Airbag vs 15 Step - both good tunes but Airbag definitely the winner for me

Paranoid Android vs Bodysnatchers - see above 

Subterranean Homesick Alien vs Nude - SHA is a bit meh for me and Nude is beautiful

Exit Music vs Weird Fishes - Exit Music is a lovely song but Weird Fishes is one of their best

Let Down vs All I Need - Song of the life

Karma Police vs Faust Arp - Not a huge Karma Police fan compared to other Radiohead songs but it's still a top tune and Faust Arp is a bit meh

Electioneering vs Reckoner - Electioneering makes me want to die and Reckoner is a belter

Climbing up the Walls vs House of Cards - House of Cards the worst song on In Rainbows

No Surprises vs Jigsaw Falling Into Place - No Surprises is nice but quite unimpressive; Jigsaw is a contender for top 5 Radiohead

Lucky vs Videotape - Closest one of the lot but I think Lucky just edges it; I do like Videotape though

6-4 to OK Computer, however all my In Rainbows wins were easy wins whereas some OKC victories were much less clear cut.

All in all I've learned nothing here. Well done Will, you just played yourself.

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, SwedgeAntilles said:

So, cause I obsess over these kind of things the other day I decided to compare the two in a song by song vs battle in order to finally solve which was better. First issue was that OKC has 12 tracks to IR's 10. So 'Fitter Happier' is disregarded, and I've also decided to chop off 'The Tourist'. Now you may say that this already puts OKC at a disadvantage but it's the only way I could properly rate them side by side. Now to the individual results;

Airbag vs 15 Step - Score draw. Both tracks float around (and just outside) my top ten. Both have been in there and I find it difficult to definitively rate one over the other, so it's honours even

OK Computer  1-1 In Rainbows

Paranoid Android vs Bodysnatchers - 1-0. I'm a fan of Bodysnatchers, especially live, but Paranoid Android is arguably their GOAT, it's their magnificent octopus, it has to win this round

OK Computer 2-1 In Rainbows

Subterranean Homesick Alien vs Nude - 1-0. Had a conversation on here the other week about how Nude isn't one of my favourite tracks on the album or live, SHA wins this comfortably.

OK Computer 3-1 In Rainbows

Exit Music vs Weird Fishes/Arpeggi - 0-1 A solid top ten contender, one of the defining tracks of In Rainbows, although I enjoy the slow burn on Exit Music there was only going to be one winner here.

OK Computer 3-2 In Rainbows

Let Down vs All I Need 1-0. A walkover

OK Computer 4-2 In Rainbows

Karma Police vs Faust Arp 1-0. Karma Police tends to suffer from over-play, but to take a step back and consider it's an absolutely great track. Up against Faust Arp it was a bit of a romp. Past the halfway stage and OK Computer opens up a healthy lead;

OK Computer 5-2 In Rainbows

Electioneering vs Reckoner 0-1. My favourite Radiohead song. Get Electioneering out of my face.

OK Computer 5-3 In Rainbows

Climbing Up The Walls vs House of Cards 0-1. Again this was a tough one. I think both tracks are okay without loving either. Climbing Up The Ways has sounded good when playing live recently, but if I go on what I play the most House of Cards sneaks it.

OK Computer 5-4 In Rainbows

No Surprises vs Jigsaw Falling Into Place 1-1. A nightmare choice. The two tracks that alongside Reckoner make up my top three. Like Airbag and 15 Step they tend to swap places regularly. And like those two tracks in was impossible to choose. A second score draw

OK Computer 6-5 In Rainbows

Lucky vs Videotape - 0-1 I think Videotape is the ultimate album closer, whether it was Lucky or The Tourist in this last spot Videotape would have been the comfortable winner. A last minute equaliser for In Rainbows.

OK Computer 6-6 In Rainbows

So after all that I still don't have a definitive answer as to which album is better, thereby rendering this whole exercise - much like my existence - utterly pointless. At least it wasn't a list though eh?

Amazing. 

Following your working, it confirms that In Rainbows is indeed the superior album.

And dude, you need to get on board the Nude train ;)

• Upvote 1

So, I'm back in the UK for the summer and after my spring dalliance/investigation of Radiohead, I've got Amnesiac on vinyl. Helluva thing. I tell you, could be my favourite Radiohead song so far - 'life in a glasshouse'. Sounds like 45rpm Tom Waits on a serious comedown, that's some good strong stuff right there.

2 hours ago, Mardy said:

So, I'm back in the UK for the summer and after my spring dalliance/investigation of Radiohead, I've got Amnesiac on vinyl. Helluva thing. I tell you, could be my favourite Radiohead song so far - 'life in a glasshouse'. Sounds like 45rpm Tom Waits on a serious comedown, that's some good strong stuff right there.

Yeah it's probably in a few people's top 10s including mine. Still possibly their most underrated song though for me, never really gets talked about among the pantheon of all time great Radiohead songs. Possibly because they don't do it live I guess. 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

:lol:

I thank you.  Pretty sure I'll do no better than that for the rest of the year.

2 minutes ago, fatyeti24 said:

it's not even bread related

A good point.  Were you confusing schnitzels with pretzels Stuart?