Radiohead Headlining 2017

The Nal

1 hour ago, arcade fireman said:

From atease....seems pretty legit:

Unless Clive was deliberately not telling the truth, this would probably end any hopes of a Radiohead headline set next year. Even if they do end up touring, they won't have planned it and likely Glasto will have booked their headliners by then. :(

Why would it? Clive isn't exactly going to say 'yeah, no tour planned but we are headlining Glastonbury' to some randomer is he?

On 30/07/2016 at 9:39 AM, Will-2609 said:

Finally got rid of that opening run of 5 new songs and dropped Desert Island Disk. Decks Dark is still probably my favourite from the new album so I'd be a bit disappointed not to get that but I'd rather hear some older songs like 2+2=5, so couldn't complain really.

Didn't think I'd be approaching a Radiohead show in 2016 with it looking pretty likely we could get any of 2+2=5, My Iron Lung, No Surprises, Let Down, Bodysnatchers, Street Spirit, Talk Show Host and Creep.

And yeah, I think setlists like the current ones would go down fine on the Pyramid. Make sure they throw in the big hitters like Karma Police/Creep/Paranoid Android and then a selection of pretty much any of the other stuff they've been playing.

Those 3 songs have all had their time to shine in RH headlining sets, I'd much rather they were replaced by Let Down / HTDC / etc. especially Creep, finding it a bit pathetic that they have rolled it out because it's festival season.

On 31/07/2016 at 9:26 AM, jparx said:

I'm on team Let Down, although we're picking between two of the greatest songs ever written so it's a bit a moot point :P

Out of interest - do the members of team HTDC prefer Kid A to OKC? 

Hmm HTDC is my all time Radiohead no.1 and Let Down is my no.2 but I prefer OKC to Kid A for sure.

On 31/07/2016 at 10:26 AM, jparx said:

I thought as much! HTDC vs Let Down seems to also represent Kid A vs OkC.

And of course RH are headline material! I was in a crowd of 50,000 people at NOS and that day sold our months beforehand. They could have sold an extra 10,000 tickets for that based almost entirely on RH alone.

I'm not sure why, HTDC was written during the OKC tour and performed towards the very end of that tour in 1998. Stylistically it would fit very nicely on OKC.

On 31/07/2016 at 0:48 PM, RichardWaller said:

Yeah, LCCC was the last time I saw em. Aside from festivals is that it for the UK, seriously? Ten gigs in ten years? No wonder they go like gold dust!

Glasgow Green in 2008 as well but that's about yer lot yes. They played 6 in 2006 as well, the 2 nights in Blackpool were something else.

1 hour ago, ericlered said:

Those 3 songs have all had their time to shine in RH headlining sets, I'd much rather they were replaced by Let Down / HTDC / etc. especially Creep, finding it a bit pathetic that they have rolled it out because it's festival season.

Well yeah so would I but I'm talking about them playing a setlist that would go down well in a Glastonbury headline slot.

I don't really see how it's pathetic to play your biggest song to a casual audience, of which a vast majority will be hoping to hear it.

45 minutes ago, Will-2609 said:

Well yeah so would I but I'm talking about them playing a setlist that would go down well in a Glastonbury headline slot.

I don't really see how it's pathetic to play your biggest song to a casual audience, of which a vast majority will be hoping to hear it.

Ok maybe pathetic is a bit strong... but it just feels to me that them pulling it out of the hat this summer goes against their whole ethos / attitude towards it over the last 20 years, who knows, maybe they actually like the song again after all this time!? In 1997 it was tossed away mid set iirc. I'm not even sure how many of today's festival crowd would even know the song particularly well, with it being 24 years old now.

17 minutes ago, russycarps said:

I always think creep looks like it's a lot of fun to play, and sing.

I can imagine Jonny in particular enjoys playing a song where he can switch his brain off and just gets to nail some simple, heavily distorted chords!

6 hours ago, ericlered said:

Ok maybe pathetic is a bit strong... but it just feels to me that them pulling it out of the hat this summer goes against their whole ethos / attitude towards it over the last 20 years, who knows, maybe they actually like the song again after all this time!? In 1997 it was tossed away mid set iirc. I'm not even sure how many of today's festival crowd would even know the song particularly well, with it being 24 years old now.

It's not a "whole ethos/attitude" towards it - it's been played sporadically even during the other years. They played it a few times on the HTTT tour and also around In Rainbows time too. It's just they didn't want that song to define them and Thom felt it was a millstone around their necks earlier on in their career (which is why he wrote My Iron Lung). Plus it would've stuck out like a sore thumb had they played it on the Kid Amnesiac tours. 

Now they're known for a lot more than that they probably feel a lot happier playing it. 

10 hours ago, arcade fireman said:

It's not a "whole ethos/attitude" towards it - it's been played sporadically even during the other years. They played it a few times on the HTTT tour and also around In Rainbows time too. It's just they didn't want that song to define them and Thom felt it was a millstone around their necks earlier on in their career (which is why he wrote My Iron Lung). Plus it would've stuck out like a sore thumb had they played it on the Kid Amnesiac tours. 

Now they're known for a lot more than that they probably feel a lot happier playing it. 

On the Adam Buxton podcast (I think), Jonny talked about why certain songs were and were not played on tour - basically when rehearsing if the vibe felt good and interesting on a song, it went on the long list.  If it isn't working for them at the moment (seemingly Jigsaw is on this list...?) then it's shelved for the time being.  They're simply enjoying playing Creep atm, and that's the long and short of it!

2 minutes ago, ogriff said:

On the Adam Buxton podcast (I think), Jonny talked about why certain songs were and were not played on tour - basically when rehearsing if the vibe felt good and interesting on a song, it went on the long list.  If it isn't working for them at the moment (seemingly Jigsaw is on this list...?) then it's shelved for the time being.  They're simply enjoying playing Creep atm, and that's the long and short of it!

Yep. I think a lot of protection goes on with Radiohead when it comes to their motives. If you've made up some story about their 'ethos' explaining why they don't play a particular song, then you're bound to be disappointed when they appear to betray something that was in your mind all along.

After the whole OkC/Kid A - Let Down/HTDC debate, I have come to realise the clear winner is In Rainbows, and Nude, Weird Fishes and Reckoner are all superior songs :P

That's the first time In Rainbows has ever occupied the top spot on my list :o it feels like OkC if the fat was trimmed and the whole thing was more concise and streamlined. It's also Thom's best vocal performance by a long way.

• Upvote 2

35 minutes ago, jparx said:

After the whole OkC/Kid A - Let Down/HTDC debate, I have come to realise the clear winner is In Rainbows, and Nude, Weird Fishes and Reckoner are all superior songs :P

That's the first time In Rainbows has ever occupied the top spot on my list :o it feels like OkC if the fat was trimmed and the whole thing was more concise and streamlined. It's also Thom's best vocal performance by a long way.

Yeah I'm edging towards this conclusion, too. I prefer Let Down and HTDC to those songs, but those three (and Jigsaw) being on one album makes for a pretty spectacular piece of work. And as you suggest, it does feel less bloated than OKC.

46 minutes ago, jparx said:

So, cause I obsess over these kind of things the other day I decided to compare the two in a song by song vs battle in order to finally solve which was better. First issue was that OKC has 12 tracks to IR's 10. So 'Fitter Happier' is disregarded, and I've also decided to chop off 'The Tourist'. Now you may say that this already puts OKC at a disadvantage but it's the only way I could properly rate them side by side. Now to the individual results;

Airbag vs 15 Step - Score draw. Both tracks float around (and just outside) my top ten. Both have been in there and I find it difficult to definitively rate one over the other, so it's honours even

OK Computer  1-1 In Rainbows

Paranoid Android vs Bodysnatchers - 1-0. I'm a fan of Bodysnatchers, especially live, but Paranoid Android is arguably their GOAT, it's their magnificent octopus, it has to win this round

OK Computer 2-1 In Rainbows

Subterranean Homesick Alien vs Nude - 1-0. Had a conversation on here the other week about how Nude isn't one of my favourite tracks on the album or live, SHA wins this comfortably.

OK Computer 3-1 In Rainbows

Exit Music vs Weird Fishes/Arpeggi - 0-1 A solid top ten contender, one of the defining tracks of In Rainbows, although I enjoy the slow burn on Exit Music there was only going to be one winner here.

OK Computer 3-2 In Rainbows

Let Down vs All I Need 1-0. A walkover

OK Computer 4-2 In Rainbows

Karma Police vs Faust Arp 1-0. Karma Police tends to suffer from over-play, but to take a step back and consider it's an absolutely great track. Up against Faust Arp it was a bit of a romp. Past the halfway stage and OK Computer opens up a healthy lead;

OK Computer 5-2 In Rainbows

Electioneering vs Reckoner 0-1. My favourite Radiohead song. Get Electioneering out of my face.

OK Computer 5-3 In Rainbows

Climbing Up The Walls vs House of Cards 0-1. Again this was a tough one. I think both tracks are okay without loving either. Climbing Up The Ways has sounded good when playing live recently, but if I go on what I play the most House of Cards sneaks it.

OK Computer 5-4 In Rainbows

No Surprises vs Jigsaw Falling Into Place 1-1. A nightmare choice. The two tracks that alongside Reckoner make up my top three. Like Airbag and 15 Step they tend to swap places regularly. And like those two tracks in was impossible to choose. A second score draw

OK Computer 6-5 In Rainbows

Lucky vs Videotape - 0-1 I think Videotape is the ultimate album closer, whether it was Lucky or The Tourist in this last spot Videotape would have been the comfortable winner. A last minute equaliser for In Rainbows.

OK Computer 6-6 In Rainbows

So after all that I still don't have a definitive answer as to which album is better, thereby rendering this whole exercise - much like my existence - utterly pointless. At least it wasn't a list though eh?

• Upvote 4