2016 Highlights

Winslow Leach

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

12 hours ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Opposite view from me. If she'd just come on and rattled through the hits it might have been a bit soulless, whereas she turned on the charm and brought a beautiful balance to the whole thing. Charisma in spades.

Won over all the cynics in my group.

Nice one, glad she won people over.

Best set: PJ Harvey. Best song: What Went Down by Foals. Most Fun: Shibusa Shirazu Orchestra. Best vocalist: the singer from St Paul & The Broken Bones. Best moment: getting 'married' to a member of "OMG Its The Church!" on a wet Friday afternoon on the Greenpeace Stage. I can say I looked out over a Glastonbury audience, even it was only about 200 people :-)

Over the three main days I saw not one under par performance. It was a brilliant festival and I can't wait to do it again.

Christine & The Queens - outstanding performance and the charisma to light up a large field in the rain

Art Garfunkel -  very emotional hour. Voice maybe be faltering but its vulnerability made it even more special

Kurt Vile - loved the whole set

Coldplay - atmosphere at the front was brilliant and a perfect way to finish festival. 

Beck - probably the best set of the weekend. felt sorry for him as crowd were waiting for Coldplay. He should have been on west holts or Park headlining

2 minutes ago, Harry49 said:

Beck - probably the best set of the weekend. felt sorry for him as crowd were waiting for Coldplay. He should have been on west holts or Park headlining

I was there specifically to see him. I loved it. It was sad that he got such a poor reaction and made me hate Coldplay even more. I was having a massive moan about rge crowd as I left the pit. A girl heard me and was in total agreement. 

Should have headlined the park.

16 minutes ago, Robofish said:

Best set: PJ Harvey. Best song: What Went Down by Foals. Most Fun: Shibusa Shirazu Orchestra. Best vocalist: the singer from St Paul & The Broken Bones. Best moment: getting 'married' to a member of "OMG Its The Church!" on a wet Friday afternoon on the Greenpeace Stage. I can say I looked out over a Glastonbury audience, even it was only about 200 people :-)

Over the three main days I saw not one under par performance. It was a brilliant festival and I can't wait to do it again.

I was one of those 200!  

There wasn't as much I wanted to see this year, but pretty much everything I saw delivered.

LCD, Floating Points live, Kamasi Washington, Anna Meredith and Braids were the best. John Grant, New Order, PJ, Unknown Mortal Orchestra and Skepta all great too.

Foals were good but the crowd was a bit flat, and I though the sound for Sigur Rós was too bassy which ruined it a bit. Special shout out to Lekiddo Lord of the lobsters and apologies to the people dressed as crabs by West Holts on Saturday who me and my mate mistook for lobsters and proceeded to yell 'pinchy pinchy kiss kiss' at for 5 minutes 

Went into the festival with no real plans but probably saw more acts than normal. 

Off the beaten track a classical group called Dagamba in small world stage were great; Bixiga 70 on West Holts and Beans on Toast were great and enjoyed the acts that were part of Billy Braggs radical roundup. Larkin Poe at Avalon played a great set and can see them on bigger stages in the future

On main stages though PJ Harvey was majestic; Underworld and New Order made me feel 18 again; Earth Wind and Fire made me dance 

Best moment though were Mercury Rev had me in pieces with a beautiful set that summed up the fleeting blissful wonderful place Glastonbury is. 

4 minutes ago, phil the shrew said:

Best moment though were Mercury Rev had me in pieces with a beautiful set that summed up the fleeting blissful wonderful place Glastonbury is. 

oooh I was there for that - yes it was wonderful watching Mr Donahue. It felt like he was a magician the way he loomed over his  bandmates, coaxing them into giving that little bit more. And they played Lincoln's Eyes...sigh...

I'm with Nal, musically that was probably one of my favourite years so far.  Only had one let down as I just found Disclosure....boring.  Was very pleasantly surprised by Churches I must say.

Highlight for me must have been James doing Tomorrow.  Always loved that song to bits.

Oh, and FINALLY getting my act together and seeing Beans on Toast.

Edited by Quark

Beans on Toast were excellent :)

Glastonbury moments for me happened at Mercury Rev who were just amazing, and suprisingly Cyndi Lauper! We went down thinking it would be a bit of fun but she really was fantastic.

Joe Lycet made me cry with laughter. Mik Artistik in the rabbit hole was awesome too.

28 minutes ago, The Nal said:

I hear her voice was great?

It really was, and for once the sound on Acoustic was spot on too. I was a bit worried as it seemed a bit iffy for Ed Harcourt on the Friday that the sound was going to be bad for another year in Acoustic (after it being rubbish in previous years whenever I went in there) but they really sorted it out.

14 hours ago, Beerqueen said:

I didn't regret it for a moment.  He came on with a face like thunder and played with an absolute passion.  At the end he said it had been cathartic and he was glad to have played to get something out of his system.  

So glad I wasn't at home stewing on the referendum result. That Billy Bragg set really helped especially being with like minded people. New England had a whole new meaning 

7 minutes ago, WS_Jack_III said:

Anyone at Jagwar Ma? 

I never thought the Park could sound that meaty! Favourite thing all weekend, new songs sounded great.

Made the effort in the mud to get up and see them, glad I did one of my favourite sets of the weekend

15 hours ago, Beerqueen said:

I didn't regret it for a moment.  He came on with a face like thunder and played with an absolute passion.  At the end he said it had been cathartic and he was glad to have played to get something out of his system.  

We're seeing him next week in Frome but with the breaking news of Friday we changed plans and went to hear what he had to say....we were against the barrier and at one point I found myself fist in the air shouting 'Go on Billy!'....I swear if he had asked us to march on Whitehall at that moment I would have followed him all the way there.

Emotional stuff.

3 hours ago, Robofish said:

oooh I was there for that - yes it was wonderful watching Mr Donahue. It felt like he was a magician the way he loomed over his  bandmates, coaxing them into giving that little bit more. And they played Lincoln's Eyes...sigh...

Thirded. The set started out sounding special then just got better and better, building into an amazing end.

I had no recolection of him being such a showman either.