Football 16-17

kaosmark2

Absolutely magnificent from City last night. I slagged Pep off last week for the team he put out v the Rags, yet it has proved to have been the correct decision.

Fernandinho is absolutely top class. He is so under rated it is unreal. He has arguably been our best player for the past 3 seasons.

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

3 hours ago, kaosmark2 said:

I really don't. I think he's one of the worst pundits around, he either makes really banal, blindingly obvious comments, or repeats what someone else has just said. I don't feel he offers any insight at all, I still don't understand why the BBC kept him over Lee Dixon when they had their spat.

I don't particularly rate any of the pundits around at the moment. I think Cara and Neville are good for a laugh, though. And both of them are considerably less biased than other Liverpool/United pundits. 

Didn't even realise there was a "spat"! What happened?

1 hour ago, pink_triangle said:

You also just know Arsenal will win their group and end up drawing real Madrid.

Currently Madrid, Munich and Juve are all second in their respective groups. You're right, the one year wenger realises that coming first is important, coming first might not be important. 

15 hours ago, DareToDibble said:

Spat, you say...? :huh:

11 hours ago, TheSilence said:

Didn't even realise there was a "spat"! What happened?

Shearer cut off Dixon mid-point and then tried to claim it as his own. It kicked off behind the scenes and is why Dixon left for ITV. 

22 minutes ago, TheGayTent said:

How often have England played on Armistice Day? 

I don't think it makes much difference nowadays, does it? Every mntch seems like a full-on military parade in recent years, it never used to be like that.

There's plenty of ways to mark armistice day if they really feel the need without it getting onto the pitch during the game.

And it's bollocks to say it's not political, cos it's all about politicians trying to give worthwhile purpose to what has not always been justified actions.

Personally I hope FIFA stick to their rules and take the opportunity to suspend the FA's membership. It might help take war out of football in this country.

1 hour ago, eFestivals said:

I don't think it makes much difference nowadays, does it? Every mntch seems like a full-on military parade in recent years, it never used to be like that.

There's plenty of ways to mark armistice day if they really feel the need without it getting onto the pitch during the game.

And it's bollocks to say it's not political, cos it's all about politicians trying to give worthwhile purpose to what has not always been justified actions.

Personally I hope FIFA stick to their rules and take the opportunity to suspend the FA's membership. It might help take war out of football in this country.

Yeah couldnt agree more with most of this.

I struggle in general with most 'remembrance' events. I understand the importance of remembering what happened in generations past so that they don't happen again - but that should be fulfilled in education. One of the most interesting modules I did during my history degree was on the power of remembrance and how it has shaped modern European countries - it really was fascinating stuff seeing the cycles each of the major warring countries have gone through and where we are at now.

Needless to say the overiding conclusion was that remembrance was and still is undoubtedly 'political' and therefore FIFA are completely right imo - (theres a sentence I wasn't expecting to type for a while).

2 hours ago, eFestivals said:

I'm quite happy with FIFA's decision. It's the obvious one, it's clear, and it means it doesn't open itself up to lots of requests. 

The point I was making was that, the England team don't often play on Armistice Day and therefore it doesn't often crop up. Furthermore, England are playing Scotland on Armistice Day - who hold the same view as England - that's an even rarer occurrence. 

Not sure what you mean by full on military parade. We're talking about a poppy on a shirt. 

However, I agree there's no need to make the point on the pitch during the game. A minutes silence to mark the occasion is sufficient - as has happened at league games for as long as I can remember. 

10 hours ago, eFestivals said:

and anyone else that'll have him. 

He's often one of the pundits for NBC in the states, as is La Saux. Sometimes you even get both of them.

The advantage with NBC is that Beccy Lowe doesn't look like her dad, thank gawd. :P

Loads of UK pundits and presenters have jobs for foreign (particulary US) stations. Loads of them.

The big issue I have with the poppy armbands is that I don't believe for a second that the players will have taken a considered view over the issues and actively decided they want to wear a poppy. They'll do it because Britain expects every public figure to do so, not out of any personal feeling or understanding regarding the issues.

There was an Irish footballer who got death threats a few years ago for not following the convention wasn't there?

9 minutes ago, zahidf said:

remind me again how much UTD have spent in the last 3 years? Scholes reckons they need another 2 years of buying to sort

http://www.football365.com/news/depressed-scholes-jose-needs-four-transfer-windows

It's not the buying players that's the problem, it's the strategy and type of players there buying that's the issue.

If they continue as they are, nothing will change.

Edited by thetime

51 minutes ago, zahidf said:

remind me again how much UTD have spent in the last 3 years? Scholes reckons they need another 2 years of buying to sort

http://www.football365.com/news/depressed-scholes-jose-needs-four-transfer-windows

Mourinho will need a couple of windows to sort it out yeah. A shit cocktail of players over 3 years of chronic mismanagement.