Pacing yourself

Skoo

With only 9 days to go until we're all in our favourite place, I wondered about all of your various strategies for making sure you don't peak at 8pm and KO in the tent by 12!

When I was in my early 20s, I could start drinking/taking naughties early and last right into the small hours. Now, at 32, day time partying always results in me wanting my bed by 9pm.

So, what's your strategies? Do you have a cut off time where you're allowed to get on it? Maybe you go tee total?

This year, my plan is to only have the odd drink during the day, and absolutely no naughties. Then bring in the naughties when I start to flag, after the headliners.

A good plan in theory, but recreational delights in any form tend to burn a hole in my pocket....

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I tend to have a decent drink on the Wednesday and then take it easy the rest of the festival. Not a big drinker anyway and would hate myself if I got too out of it for the music. No naughties, never have done and never will. Though I can see why people need them, I don't last much after 2am and there can be some decent dj sets on till 5. 

Haven't been going out drinking much at all this past year and it doesn't take me much to feel tipsy so it could be interesting on the Wednesday this year for me.

only little cans of kopperberg pear allowed before midday, then beer/ale from lunch to dinner time, then wine till it gets dark then shots. Planning on adding tactical coffees in the afternoon to get me through more of the night as naughties are off the menu these days.

Cider only until 8pm/9pm and then unleash the spirits. No naughties for me any more either...however, I tend to crash around 2am too but I accept that as I put loads of effort in during the day and will be out and about by 10am usually every day.

1 minute ago, Larraht said:

Cider only until 8pm/9pm and then unleash the spirits. No naughties for me any more either...however, I tend to crash around 2am too but I accept that as I put loads of effort in during the day and will be out and about by 10am usually every day.

Yeah, I tend to be up for the first acts, ready for another day of walking all over.

Fail at this big style but do "try" to stick to the after midday rule (usually out by an hour lol) and don't mix drinks too much (I am good at keeping to that one), beers into the evening until headliner and then might have some spirits at this point, usually JD...cocktails come after headliner if have any might be more beer who know....when land back at tent a cup of rose wine, then bed :) and repeat x5

I messed up last year. Arrived at 6am on Thursday morning and opened a can of cider due to the sheer buzz of arriving. Drank all day and stayed out til around 3. Felt like shite the rest of the weekend as a result. Going to try to drink in the evenings only, with the odd cider during the day but more coffee and water.

I find that by seeing enough acts, I successfully throttle my trips to the bar.  I like to be nicely toasted rather than all-out drunk, and find I can maintain this for most of the day.  The real trick is not to go overboard on Thursday when there's less to see.

No drink before 5pm due to being too fucked from the night before, no naughties until headliner time or after midnight depending who headliner is, reach peak naughtiness around 2am, coast to 6am on cloud fucking quality, have a good festival 

59 minutes ago, Skoo said:

This year, my plan is to only have the odd drink during the day, and absolutely no naughties. Then bring in the naughties when I start to flag, after the headliners.

You've pretty much nailed it there Skoo, that's my plan too for this year. How I wish I was in my 20's again!

I'll be drinking light during the day then I'll up it a notch to the spirits as the sun goes down. After that I will see how I go, if I start to flake too early I'll be dipping into my bag of tricks for a kick up the ar$e.

4 minutes ago, OneLittleFish said:

Taking Milk Thistle capsules - take them through the day and find that I'm good to go the following morning.

I've just discovered the wonder of milk thistle. No hangover for me this morning, after all day drinking yesterday. Amazing stuff!

My trouble is I can't refuse cider when I get up! I just can't not have one when me pals start. I'm such a sucker. So I'm just going to try and slow it down, hit spirits and tings on the evening..see how it goes. Every year it's different for me. Last year I was a disaster not long after Super Furries, got to shangri la, and just couldn't walk anymore. What a shambles. Poor pal carried me home, I had no recollection. I blame desperadoes for breakfast, cider for lunch and a litre of rum for the rest of the day! With no food. Eatings cheating apparently. Sigh.

Edited by Perks
Spelling....again

Part of it is figuring out what you want from the festival. If you're going to have more fun hitting hard even if you go right back to the tent after the headliners then there's nothing wrong with not staying out until the hours, especially if it means seeing more of the festival by getting up earlier the follow days.

If there's stuff you actually want to see later on then that changes it. I don't have a pattern, if I'm not feeling it I might go a whole day not drinking anything. I also know some acts I'll appreciate more drunk than sober so take that in to account.

Foot to the floor, full throttle, from after tents being put up and second trip to car done. Keep going like that and you'll be fine :) just remember to eat even if you don't want to, a restorative crepe can work wonders. Oh and plenty of water too. Go to bed once a day, even if you can't sleep, a couple hours rest will do you good. Get one or two long sleeps in over the weekend, and don't mix your drinks too much. Don't drink too much if your on certain things, or you'll be sick. 

Ease off Sunday later afternoon/evening, stop drinking etc by midnight, stay up til sunrise, then Valium it from 6am to midday. Sorted. 

There is also the "marathon not a sprint" theory, where you go middling at it all! 

Listen to your body is the main thing, if you need to rest, then rest, or you'll feel super shit for ages. 

And look after each other, and yourself! :)

24 minutes ago, Perks said:

My trouble is I can't refuse cider when I get up! I just can't not have one when me pals start. I'm such a sucker. So I'm just going to try and slow it down, hit spirits and tings on the evening..see how it goes. Every year it's different for me. Last year I was a disaster not long after Super Furries, got to shangri la, and just couldn't walk anymore. What a shambles. Poor pal carried me home, I had no recollection. I blame desperadoes for breakfast, cider for lunch and a litre of rum for the rest of the day! With no food. Eatings cheating apparently. Sigh.

Eating is not cheating on a five day festival!

Think I'm going to give this Milk Thistle a go. Don't get me wrong, I don't go to Glastonbury to get shit faced - that's what I did back in the day at Reading festival. 

I love a couple of drinks, but am a complete lightweight and don't like being really drunk, just mildly merry. 

That's why I rely on naughty substances to help me power through as I don't want to miss the evening's shenanigans, especially as I like a lot of the DJs playing late. 

Perhaps though, it's time to simply accept that 1am will be my bed time in future. Getting old :( 

To an extent it depends what you want from the festival. There's little of note that I'd want to see passed 2am so I'm happy to call it a day then or sooner. I will though, be up, eaten breakfast and be watching a band with a drink in my hand at 11am.