Footwear?

JayP1983

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

If you're going down the walking boots route, you need to be buying them now and wearing them at least part of every day to make sure they fit and are comfortable - you don't need to break boots in so much in the way you used to back in the day, but i'd be very wary of taking brand new boots to the festival without at least some pre-wearing!

Most people on here recommend hiking boots, but I'd go for wellies, good hiking boots are expensive and not worth the investment just to go to a festival once a year. I had hiking boots in both 2005 and 2007 (epically wet years) and ended up with wet feet by Friday both years, if it's wet there can be a lot of standing water and if you put a foot wrong you suddenly step in a place where the water goes over ankle your ankles. 

If your buying wellies it's better to go to shop in person and try them on as sizes can be a bit different to shoes. Some decent gel insoles will also make a difference. 

Trainers will be fine if it's dry plus I usually take a pair of flip flops to wear around the camping field as they're easy to slip on to go to the tiolets or the mearest shop/food stall. 

4 minutes ago, fur_q said:

Most people on here recommend hiking boots, but I'd go for wellies, good hiking boots are expensive and not worth the investment just to go to a festival once a year. I had hiking boots in both 2005 and 2007 (epically wet years) and ended up with wet feet by Friday both years, if it's wet there can be a lot of standing water and if you put a foot wrong you suddenly step in a place where the water goes over ankle your ankles. 

If your buying wellies it's better to go to shop in person and try them on as sizes can be a bit different to shoes. Some decent gel insoles will also make a difference. 

Trainers will be fine if it's dry plus I usually take a pair of flip flops to wear around the camping field as they're easy to slip on to go to the tiolets or the mearest shop/food stall. 

You can get some really good, breathable etc, ones cheap. Regatta Outlet is a good website and Ebay also tends to have lots of HiTec ones.

No need to spend big to get waterproof and breathable walking boots that will last a couple of years.

Walking boots, neoprene top wellies (don't rub on your calf, which can get uncomfortable) and canvas shoes/flip flops for in the tent. Wore walking boots all last year, a mix of walking boots and wellies the year before, and 2013 it was flip flops and canvas shoes for the whole week.

fingers crossed its a flip flop/canvas shoes year!

Trainers if it's dry and walking boots and a pair and taking a pair of gators if it gets bad, which it won't.

1 hour ago, Nobody Interesting said:

You can get some really good, breathable etc, ones cheap. Regatta Outlet is a good website and Ebay also tends to have lots of HiTec ones.

No need to spend big to get waterproof and breathable walking boots that will last a couple of years.

Not convinced breathable waterproof and cheap is really a good combination plus as I said if it's wet there can be standing water deeper than the top of a pair of walking boots. I'm convinced half the problem people have with wellies is not trying them on properly.

I had some I got online that where not comfortable for long periods but in 2013 I went  round shops and tried a loads of pairs until I found a pair that felt good, they cost £10 and didn't give me any trouble. Unfortunately they ended up getting left outside in the garden under a pile of leaves all winter so last year I got some crocs wellies and they're quite literally the comfiest footware I own and light as f**k which not only makes a diffence when carrying them in, but makes a massive difference walking from the SE to the NE corner at 7am. 

If you get normal wellies, make sure you get socks that go higher! I had a red ring of welly graze around each calf for about 2 months after making the mistake of not taking long socks!

1 hour ago, FuzzyDunlop said:

These? I don't have that much money to spend on them to be honest.

http://www.millets.co.uk/mens/134422-hi-tec-mens-condor-waterproof-hiking-boot-olive.html

I think they look good - just check whether the tongue is attached to the outer of the boot for quite a long way up (not just at the bottom edge) coz that's what keeps them waterproof if you step in a puddle.

Definitely good sturdy waterproof hiking boots are my choice, and I'll be wearing mine in again as from about tomorrow. Was pleasantly surprised to find that I'd even cleaned them after last year (either that or the Boot Fairies paid me a very welcome visit....)