stephos83

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

6 minutes ago, IamChappu said:

Not 100% sure it will suit Craig Charles as a setting - still hugely looking forward to his set.  Take every opportunity I can to see him as his sets are always amazingly good.

Saw him on Arcadia on 2014, and it was brilliant!

7 minutes ago, IamChappu said:

Not 100% sure it will suit Craig Charles as a setting - still hugely looking forward to his set.  Take every opportunity I can to see him as his sets are always amazingly good.

He played on it a few years ago. Was good and didn't really change things. He'll play during the day/early evening though so it won't be flames etc

9 minutes ago, chestwig said:

carl cox was great back in the day, but it's not where dance music is at the moment. 

I get the impression with acts like Carl cox it's to keep the older demographic of Glastonbury happy. People who might be in their 30s to 40s now. Liked dance music but don't really go clubbing now. I suppose this is a name they can cling to for their dance fix.

until recently I still thought he was playing all that trance bollocks, is this not the case?

Nail on head!

But yea he's playing some weird hybrid techno that has disco vocals and weird sound effects in it. It's really annoying because i saw him B2B with Nic Fanciulli at tobacco dock a couple of months back, and every tune Faniculli played was rolling, bouncy, driving and had the crowd going mad. Carl's tune came on and it killed the vibe instantly every time. Fanciulli came back on and the crowd went mad again. It was really odd and you couldn't really get into the set as it was throwing you. I had to leave and go to Seth Troxler in the car park (decent).

32 minutes ago, Nick S said:

I completely agree. My opinion seems to annoy people, but i genuinely believe Carl Cox is past it. I love my tech house & techno, and go to A LOT of raves and festivals, and have see Carl 3 times in the last 2 years. He's just not relevant anymore. Times have moved on and the audience nowadays want that harder more driving techno and bouncy rolling tech house. The sound is different, yet he's still playing such dated "discoey" techno sets. Good for a bit of nostalgia but i'd pick the whole of the LBHQ lineup this year over seeing him. Fanciulli, The Martinez Bros, Eats Everything, Bicep etc. All those guys sound so current. I feel like Carl Cox is just a name that people that like a bit of techno at a festival know, and they get caught up in the hype ass he's a household name.

Again, just my opinion. Others may love him. Just an observation from the way the sound is moving on,

9 minutes ago, dondo said:

That's me!!! In my 40s and not been a serious clubber for a fair few years but in the past whenever I have seen Cox he's been immense- I remember at Global Gathering in 2004 him and Dave Clarke playing one after each other which was an absolute highlight of all my years clubbing- 4 hours of excellence.  Also him playing the outdoor stage at Homelands in 2002 on a glorious sunny evening

There is nothing wrong with that. I'm also in my late 30s, but I still go clubbing now and again. You certainly wouldn't see any twenty somethings who go clubbing regularly talking about Carl cox though.

Hope you enjoy his set like. Where better than a massive spider firing laser beams in your eyes and burning your brow off eh. :)

11 minutes ago, justperfect said:

Don't really matter who plays. It's always hammered and unless you're right under the thing you can't hear shit anyway.

It's ok for a 10 minue pit stop but I'm bored of it now if I'm being honest 

Bizarrely I also feel the same. Seen it to many times and the novelty has worn off. I just like a wee look from the distance or as you said a quick 10 minute pit stop.

do love taking newbies to see it though, equally pleasure in watching the jaws drop and the eyes widen like some managa characters. :)

22 minutes ago, chestwig said:

I couldn't agree more. Acts like bicep are wicked live and not afraid to drop an old classic tune in from time to time. Eats everything is also a great dj.

carl cox was great back in the day, but it's not where dance music is at the moment. 

I get the impression with acts like Carl cox it's to keep the older demographic of Glastonbury happy. People who might be in their 30s to 40s now. Liked dance music but don't really go clubbing now. I suppose this is a name they can cling to for their dance fix.

until recently I still thought he was playing all that trance bollocks, is this not the case?

i am being called old and not relavent

I will have you know the last time I went clubbing was ..........erm I forget actually 

12 minutes ago, geoffboycott said:

Eats B2B with Ellis Dee, all over that, plus Shades Of Rhythm... Arcadia highlight for me!

Shades of Rhythm are the main ones on there for me.

Dj Hype and Todd Terry are other highlights.

What is ellis dee gonna play? I take it he is no longer playing hardcore?

52 minutes ago, Nick S said:

I completely agree. My opinion seems to annoy people, but i genuinely believe Carl Cox is past it. I love my tech house & techno, and go to A LOT of raves and festivals, and have see Carl 3 times in the last 2 years. He's just not relevant anymore. Times have moved on and the audience nowadays want that harder more driving techno and bouncy rolling tech house. The sound is different, yet he's still playing such dated "discoey" techno sets. Good for a bit of nostalgia but i'd pick the whole of the LBHQ lineup this year over seeing him. Fanciulli, The Martinez Bros, Eats Everything, Bicep etc. All those guys sound so current. I feel like Carl Cox is just a name that people that like a bit of techno at a festival know, and they get caught up in the hype ass he's a household name.

Again, just my opinion. Others may love him. Just an observation from the way the sound is moving on,

agreed, Cox is pretty shit really, and has been for quite a while. very much trading off being a "superstar DJ" in the 90s.

it's a pity that a lot of the dance stages, Arcadia included, have some really dated acts who seem to crop up every 2nd year at Glastonbury.

especially disappointing when you see the wealth of excellent DJs and electronic acts on offer at the likes of Sonar, Awakenings, Dekmantel etc...

50 minutes ago, Mezhyp1 said:

It gets quite clogged up directly after the headliners, going from chemical brothers to 2manydjs last year was extremely busy

I managed fine. I did leave Chems crowd just before they did Sunshine Underground though and waited at the back for the end. 

Line up is very decent by the way.

9 minutes ago, WS_Jack_III said:

I managed fine. I did leave Chems crowd just before they did Sunshine Underground though and waited at the back for the end. 

Line up is very decent by the way.

I don't understand the complaining about Arcadia. I stayed until the end of the Chems and we still got in there and underneath it for 2ManyDJs and Altern-8. You just have to walk into it!

1 minute ago, Homer said:

I don't understand the complaining about Arcadia. I stayed until the end of the Chems and we still got in there and underneath it for 2ManyDJs and Altern-8. You just have to walk into it!

I think lots of people stand back to watch the spider too. There's usually a fair bit of space to dance around in once you get beyond a certain point.

1 minute ago, WS_Jack_III said:

I think lots of people stand back to watch the spider too. There's usually a fair bit of space to dance around in once you get beyond a certain point.

I agree. Had no problem getting near the middle last year for 2 Many DJs after watching the whole of Chems. Plenty of space to dance too

I think it definitely looks worse further out sometimes. You just have to walk around the perimeter until you find a good point of entry!

8 minutes ago, Homer said:

Yeh we stood right in front of one of the stacks around the outer edge for 2ManyDjs could have got closer if we wanted then Altern8 came on and the levels dropped massively.

Edited by EZYSEY

55 minutes ago, chestwig said:

There is nothing wrong with that. I'm also in my late 30s, but I still go clubbing now and again. You certainly wouldn't see any twenty somethings who go clubbing regularly talking about Carl cox though.

Hope you enjoy his set like. Where better than a massive spider firing laser beams in your eyes and burning your brow off eh. :)

Apart from the 5,000 or so people who go to Space every week for 3 months.....