stephos83

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

13 minutes ago, TomViolence said:

Awesome line-up for me (Dan Avery, My Nu Leng, EE, Todd Terry...) but every time I watch someone at Arcadia I leave disappointed because of the sound :(

You've got to get right down into the middle!

edit. Well at lease in the circle of speakers.

Edited by WS_Jack_III

37 minutes ago, richy24 said:

I agree. Had no problem getting near the middle last year for 2 Many DJs after watching the whole of Chems. Plenty of space to dance too

I think it definitely looks worse further out sometimes. You just have to walk around the perimeter until you find a good point of entry!

Yes and no.

I was there 12-3am on Friday last year, right under the belly of the spider. It was pretty packed in there and occasionally even too tight to move around much. But it was still phenomenal, as the techno sets were excellent and the sound, dead centre of the three legs and their speaker stacks, was one of the best I've ever heard - I was astonished!

Ben

59 minutes ago, Homer said:

Surely Fatboy Slim will be this year's Fatboy Slim!

obvs, but that i mean playing multiple times in many places... i could have gone with Ed Sheeran from a few years back but stuck with genre :thumbsu:

Edited by Peroni
Typo

I know a lot is said about where you stand around or under the spider can make or break the sound the fact remains that it's the volume on occasion that can affect the performance. 

Just look at 2manydjs into Altern-8 last year. Not going to say you could hardly hear Altern-8 compared to 2manydjs but the volume drop was huge. 

2 hours ago, Nick S said:

Will be interesting to hear your thoughts. Check out some sets by the other guys playing LBHQ and compare them.

Ok ready to report back. Enjoyed it. Lots of classics. Not exactly at the cutting edge of modern dance music but still think he'll be worth seeing. 

2 hours ago, eastynh said:

Shades of Rhythm are the main ones on there for me.

Dj Hype and Todd Terry are other highlights.

What is ellis dee gonna play? I take it he is no longer playing hardcore?

I believe Eats and ED are playing an old school set!  Break out the white gloves and whistles I reckon :D

1 hour ago, bennyhana22 said:

Yes and no.

I was there 12-3am on Friday last year, right under the belly of the spider. It was pretty packed in there and occasionally even too tight to move around much. But it was still phenomenal, as the techno sets were excellent and the sound, dead centre of the three legs and their speaker stacks, was one of the best I've ever heard - I was astonished!

Ben

That's a fair point. I never ventured right into the centre - I was probably closer to the leg. Still great sound!

Although i'm sure the sound levels seemed to drop between 2 Many DJs and Altern8? Not sure if anyone else noticed this?

Im not sure why people are questioning the sound. When it was stuck down near the Glade it was terrible and you did have to be right under it as the speakers etc were facing in. Since it moved up the hill it is much better, we camp in Diary and can hear it quite clearly!

As for the line up, very impressed. Eats Everything and Ellis Dee especially

4 minutes ago, MissMollyAnna said:

If Basement Jaxx are doing a DJ set is that a cert they'll do a live set somewhere else? I saw them in 2008 and they were fantastic, love to see them again

Not necessarily, I think Groove Armada played a DJ set on there last year or the year before without playing elsewhere.

Do Basement Jaxx still tour as a live act?

4 minutes ago, Junglist1981 said:

Not necessarily, I think Groove Armada played a DJ set on there last year or the year before without playing elsewhere.

Do Basement Jaxx still tour as a live act?

According to their own tour page, September last year was the last live show, excluding a special night at the proms week they did in November. All this year have been DJ sets. Having seen them live, they do require quite a big crew of the backing singers etc., so it's not the easiest of acts to cart around.

Edited by jumbomcnutt

2 hours ago, ___S_o_m_a__ said:

I know a lot is said about where you stand around or under the spider can make or break the sound the fact remains that it's the volume on occasion that can affect the performance. 

Just look at 2manydjs into Altern-8 last year. Not going to say you could hardly hear Altern-8 compared to 2manydjs but the volume drop was huge. 

1 hour ago, richy24 said:

Although i'm sure the sound levels seemed to drop between 2 Many DJs and Altern8? Not sure if anyone else noticed this?

+1 the drop in sound between these 2 was ridiculous. Was it because it was Sunday after midnight perhaps? Surely the same drop in sound levels can't be the same between acts on the Friday and Saturday prime time.

2 minutes ago, EZYSEY said:

+1 the drop in sound between these 2 was ridiculous. Was it because it was Sunday after midnight perhaps? Surely the same drop in sound levels can't be the same between acts on the Friday and Saturday prime time.

That is my understanding. Due to its location and time the sound needs to be restricted. 

20 minutes ago, cowmadiddy said:

I thought the line up was OK until I heard chemical brothers 2manydj's and altern8 were there last year

Never really liked Carl Cox anyway and I'm 38 

Correct me if I'm wrong but aren't Stanton warriors and plump djs pretty different in their style?

Chems weren't on Arcadia.

Plumps are signed to Stanton's Punks label. Stanton's keep using the term "bass music"

6 hours ago, Nick S said:

I completely agree. My opinion seems to annoy people, but i genuinely believe Carl Cox is past it. I love my tech house & techno, and go to A LOT of raves and festivals, and have see Carl 3 times in the last 2 years. He's just not relevant anymore. Times have moved on and the audience nowadays want that harder more driving techno and bouncy rolling tech house. The sound is different, yet he's still playing such dated "discoey" techno sets. Good for a bit of nostalgia but i'd pick the whole of the LBHQ lineup this year over seeing him. Fanciulli, The Martinez Bros, Eats Everything, Bicep etc. All those guys sound so current. I feel like Carl Cox is just a name that people that like a bit of techno at a festival know, and they get caught up in the hype ass he's a household name.

Again, just my opinion. Others may love him. Just an observation from the way the sound is moving on,

I was on about alan fitzpatrick haha