Foals

O'Doyle Rules

I think maybe if their last album had a few more big songs on it then they probably would be headlining, they could still do it next time round. I think the XX are kind of in a similar position if their third album really takes off. Although I get your point, were Muse any bigger when they headlined the first time? probably not.

Edited by addicted2noise

Muse are certainly the bigger band in terms of popularity right now, having sold out Wembley twice, the Emirates twice and headlining Coachella a couple of years ago (plus a lot of other festivals).

I think they sold out Wembley in 2010, the same year the headlined Glastonbury?? I don't think Foals are quite there yet, but they're not far behind.

12 minutes ago, addicted2noise said:

I think maybe if their last album had a few more big songs on it then they probably would be headlining, they could still do it next time round. I think the XX are kind of in a similar position if their third album really takes off. Although I get your point, were Muse any bigger when they headlined the first time? probably not.

When they headlined the first time, they were doing the second stage at T in the Park. That's when Glastonbury used to be bold and make headliners, I suppose.

5 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

When they headlined the first time, they were doing the second stage at T in the Park. That's when Glastonbury used to be bold and make headliners, I suppose.

Yeah of course not all their success is down to Glastonbury but I think it was obviously a bit help in bringing them mainstream attention. You could maybe say the same about the Kings of Leon to a lesser extent.  

I'm glad Foals aren't headlining from a selfish point of view. I wouldn't have seen them if they headlined the Friday or Saturday especially. 

Edited by Alan_C

Just now, addicted2noise said:

Yeah of course not all their success is down to Glastonbury but I think it was obviously a bit help in bringing them mainstream attention. You could maybe say the same about the Kings of Leon to a lesser extent.  

Arctic monkeys too.

4 minutes ago, tevaburger said:

it's only what made them 'famous'

Ah maaan. I really miss this muse. I really used to love them. I remember being 15 and watching this at home and being utterly blown away. The last 2 albums have really dented their appeal for me. Although i do have a weord softspot for Madness and Panic Station.

Keep totally forgetting about Foals as I'm so occupied with the other potential clashes later on the Friday night. Not as much of a fan as I was a few years ago but I think they're gonna put on a fantastic set. Can't wait to hear What Went Down live. And Spanish Sahara of course

What Went Down is really great live. Songs like Snake Oil come into their own in a live setting, and they seem to still perform Baloons, 2 Steps Twice, Red Socks Pugie and Olympic Airwaves from Antidotes, so there is enough to keep interest across all their material. I'd love them to bring back Hummer, Cassius and Mathletics for Glastonbury though. 

3 hours ago, T-Mouse said:

Ah maaan. I really miss this muse. I really used to love them. I remember being 15 and watching this at home and being utterly blown away. The last 2 albums have really dented their appeal for me. Although i do have a weird softspot for Madness and Panic Station.

And you were doing so well up to that point...

;)

Ben

12 minutes ago, bennyhana22 said:

And you were doing so well up to that point...

;)

Ben

Ahaha i know. Its feels so wrong, but when i heard those songs i thought "wow. This album could be ok you know". I was epically wrong about that. But Madness is so ridiculously over the top, so unashamedly camp and infectious. Its so bad, its brilliant. Definitely a guitly pleasure of mine.

5 minutes ago, T-Mouse said:

Ahaha i know. Its feels so wrong, but when i heard those songs i thought "wow. This album could be ok you know". I was epically wrong about that. But Madness is so ridiculously over the top, so unashamedly camp and infectious. Its so bad, its brilliant. Definitely a guitly pleasure of mine.

Yeah Madness is one of my favourite things they've done post BH&R. Silly but miles better than most of their other recent stuff

2 hours ago, reflekting said:

What Went Down is really great live. Songs like Snake Oil come into their own in a live setting, and they seem to still perform Baloons, 2 Steps Twice, Red Socks Pugie and Olympic Airwaves from Antidotes, so there is enough to keep interest across all their material. I'd love them to bring back Hummer, Cassius and Mathletics for Glastonbury though. 

They played Hummer a few times on the last tour so it may return, I wouldn't hold your breath though considering it is a festival set.

• 2 weeks later...
4 minutes ago, ghostdancer1 said:

wish they hadn't dropped Birch Tree from the recent sets. hopefully it makes a comeback for Glastonbury.

if they've dropped it for other festivals i think it's safe to assume it probably won't reappear at Glastonbury, although we can hope. still maintain that it's a lesser Miami, but it still remains one of the better songs from What Went Down

that said, even without it the sets they've been playing as of late are looking pretty good. Spanish Sahara on the Pyramid... goddamn