Coldplay, what to expect?

ten2doc

• Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

7 hours ago, Festival Liam said:

I remember when U2 had something special planned. Didn't it turn out to be Bono's piddling walk way? And one video? I don't trust bands that say this for festivals, logistics make it very difficult to pull off. Although I must admit I was impressed with Kanye's cherry picker... it's a shame it took him a false start and 5 minutes to get up there. 

U2 also put in some extra screens - an extra set on the sides of the stage and some smaller ones on stage.

That might sound like a minor thing, but it was actually quite welcome - the regular screens were used for the video of the performance, and they had the extra screens above them to put their own graphics etc up.

The only shame was that those extra screens lay dormant the rest of the weekend, I'm sure other bands could have benefited from them rather than taking over the main screens to put their own videos up.

4 hours ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

"Rihanna plays London and Coventry over the festival weekend but there's a Glasto-shaped gap in her schedule on Sunday, June 26. You never know.”

not so much a rumour as somebody's best guess. suppose there could be more to it than that but judging by that quote, they know fuck all and are taking a total stab in the dark. also, the song she features on is bollocks

15 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

"Rihanna plays London and Coventry over the festival weekend but there's a Glasto-shaped gap in her schedule on Sunday, June 26. You never know.”

not so much a rumour as somebody's best guess. suppose there could be more to it than that but judging by that quote, they know fuck all and are taking a total stab in the dark. also, the song she features on is bollocks

Yeah it's not what you'd call a colossal leap to come to that conclusion is it?

Jo Whiley reckons Barry Gibb is confirmed to be appearing with Coldplay, just on the highlights programme. 

First I'd heard of this, but according to the forum its been brought up before. Is this based off the info that was dismissed the other week? Or is it back on?

Barry for legends slot next year anyway would be nice.

I must say that I had a Coldplay moment that I wasn't really expecting in 2005, that will live with me forever. Me and a mate were hotfooting it from the Guardian Lounge (I think) to the Leftfield Tent to see the mighty 'British Sea Power' and decided on going across the top of the Pyramid field (row mead, big ground and ?? etc) to cut out the crowds. We found ourselves sat on a bench overlooking the site (admittedly after powdering our noses, not proud to say that) when Coldplay were in full flow, and  it was amazing.

I had been to the site in '84 and '95 where as my mate was a virgin and we were both taken a back with the scene below, so much so that when I now listen to Coldplay 'Yellow', I'm cast right back to that moment and can become quite emotional! We both still talk about that moment, amongst others, as being nearly the 'Glasto moment' that year. We were both really into Magic Numbers at the time and 1 of the main reasons we were there that year. Proper Glastonbury moment when the whole crowd at the John Peel tent were singing the last song for 5-10 mins after they had finished playing. I digress, but that was 'the moment'.  

I have to go onto to say that BSP were probably 'the' best thing that night I have ever seen at Glasto, and that is saying something.

Don't diss anyone, just go there (with an open mind) and enjoy yourself. Peace.

Wow, Coldplay absolutely smashed it last night. For me it was the perfect set to close the festival out. The performance, set list, lights, wristbands, Barry Gibb and Michael Eavis, it was great to finish on such a high.

The crowd went nuts when Barry Gibb steeped onto the stage. And Michael Eavis signing 'My Way' at the end was truly a special moment. Never to be forgotten.

Now I've finally seen them at Glasto, I agree with the majority. No more bookings! :)

Pretty much the perfect festival set. Loved every second. Performance, atmosphere, Gibb, Eavis...

I've only been going since 2011, but it deserves to be remembered as a classic. Certianly the best I've seen on Worthy Farm :)

honestly just the most incredible performance.  so many amazing moments. When he got everyone to get down and then jump back up on the beat, staying alive. the lights show, the wristbands. incredible way to end the weekend

I was in tears by the end, especially when Mr Eavis came onstage.

I didn't think their stadium show was as good as the last tour but the glasto gig was something else. I even missed LCD for them because Coldplay were the first band I ever saw headline Glastonbury on TV in 2002, so to be there and see them for real was so special.

Agree with previous comments, listened to them occasional fm for years but never wanted to buy tickets to their show. But there was definitely something magical about their performance, hands down the greatest band I've ever seen at three glasto's. 

image.jpeg

Agreed, best show I've ever witnessed. Such great energy. Could tell everyone had forgotten about the mud and the outside world. Some of their music is drab but the hits they played are different class. Doubt it will be topped for me. Those wristbands and lighting was different gear to any live band.

12 hours ago, Lubic87 said:

Pretty much the perfect festival set. Loved every second. Performance, atmosphere, Gibb, Eavis...

I've only been going since 2011, but it deserves to be remembered as a classic. Certianly the best I've seen on Worthy Farm :)

For me I don't think 2011 from them will ever be beaten as imo there were better songs in place of the newer one's and the weather wasn't horrible either.

To land that set as brilliantly as they did, in the circumstances that they did it in was pretty incredible.

Coldplay will never be a cool band, but they're sure as hell a joyous one. The stagecraft was something to behold and the production was the best I've seen at Glastonbury (whatever those wristbands cost them was worth it).

The tribute to Viola Beach was perfectly judged and executed - not ashamed to say that it had me in tears.

To then pull out the stops even further and bring out Barry Gibb, play Stayin' Alive AND finish with Michael Eavis singing My Way (largely in tune) made sure it will go down as one of the special pyramid sets - no mean feat.

5 minutes ago, budvar said:

To land that set as brilliantly as they did, in the circumstances that they did it in was pretty incredible.

Coldplay will never be a cool band, but they're sure as hell a joyous one. The stagecraft was something to behold and the production was the best I've seen at Glastonbury (whatever those wristbands cost them was worth it).

The tribute to Viola Beach was perfectly judged and executed - not ashamed to say that it had me in tears.

To then pull out the stops even further and bring out Barry Gibb, play Stayin' Alive AND finish with Michael Eavis singing My Way (largely in tune) made sure it will go down as one of the special pyramid sets - no mean feat.

Seconded - and a mate proposed during the set and she  said yes :)