Coldplay, what to expect?

ten2doc

48 minutes ago, djdavejohnson said:

First headliner I saw was Chic, followed by The Rolling Stones. That's gotta be up there, right?!

Ahem, I did watch Mumford & Sons on Sunday though. I didn't actually find it that bad - certainly I wouldn't go as far as some reviews on here that I've read! Having said that I think it was more to do with the group I was with / final headliner of the weekend / first Glastonbury combination more than anything else. And it didn't touch the previous two nights.

Pretty good start!  Saw most of Chic (can't remember where we buggered off to) and Stones was certainly an event!

Mumford were...OK.  I think the nature of their music meant that with only 2 albums under their belt there were too many slower moments that kind of lost the crowd.  When you're the Stones and your slower numbers are songs like Wild Horses, it works.  With Mumford, not so much.  They sounded good, and the big numbers sounded great, but I just wasn't convinced they had the songs at that point in their career.

• Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

12 minutes ago, Scruffylovemonster said:

It's definitely up there. Portishead then Stones would have been better :P

My choices that year, however me and the kids got together to see the festival off with...the mumfords.  With the exception of that one song where the crowd woke up it was a real damp squib to close on (unfortunately I've had a couple or 3 of those which is why I've been so over the top happy with this year, finishing on a high is no guarantee so grasp it when you get it).

21 minutes ago, Scruffylovemonster said:

It's definitely up there. Portishead then Stones would have been better :P

Ha! But then I wouldn't have been able to get my dance, dance, dance on to le freak. Good times would have been missed. Nile Rogers would have been missed! 

I don't mind Portishead, and I've heard the mood and atmosphere were fantastic, but tbh it was my first proper night at Glasto and all I wanted to do was get my groove on :)

22 minutes ago, Quark said:

Mumford were...OK.  I think the nature of their music meant that with only 2 albums under their belt there were too many slower moments that kind of lost the crowd.  When you're the Stones and your slower numbers are songs like Wild Horses, it works.  With Mumford, not so much.  They sounded good, and the big numbers sounded great, but I just wasn't convinced they had the songs at that point in their career.

Oh I definitely agree with that. Was just a little too early for them!

it was definitely a great show. but i think those of us who aren't big fans could only have appreciated what they did at Glastonbury, seeing how much he/they care for the festival, as much as we do. I knew beforehand that the consensus after would be that they were good, great...after all they're professionals  & they know how to pull off a Glastonbury show, they've always done it well on their 3 previous times, but what I didn't expect was how much I myself would truly enjoy it. I mean, it probably has to go up there with one of the top 7 or 8 headline pyramid sets i've seen at Glasto? even the rubbishy songs just came through better in how they were presented as part of the gig...

I was driving back from the beach this past weekend on an early evening in New Jersey and my route took me right by the stadium where crowds were gathering for their 2-night stint (Meadowlands Met Life Stadium just outside NYC) and I really didn't have any interest in seeing that show with that crowd, just there for Coldplay. would have been a completely different experience compared to what we'd gone through for the days in the mud, etc...

the whole Portishead vs Chic thing from 2013 amuses me... i think by now and 3 years of EFests posts, those on here who experienced one of them and rank it as one of their most memorable gigs ever (for me, Portishead) have complete respect for whatever took place at the other one and realize it was quite memorable too... obviously a historical friday night for the festival at its 2nd and 3rd biggest venues and that was even before the Stones and Nick Cave played...

15 hours ago, Scruffylovemonster said:

But not as wrong as @FloorFiller who was at the arctics to try and impress a woman. 

i think you'll find i tried to head to Chic but was so hammered that i somehow ended up in the Pyramid field instead, where i just so happened to impress a woman (and disappoint her not long after)

4 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

i think you'll find i tried to head to Chic but was so hammered that i somehow ended up in the Pyramid field instead, where i just so happened to impress a woman (and disappoint her not long after)

Cough cough *cobblers* cough

;)

Loved it, and I'm no Coldplay fan. Had a moment when I just looked up and thought this placed is just heaven half way through. It's the point when I started thinking about tickets for next year again.

I'm just watching it back on iplayer, does Chris Martin remind anybody of Mark from peep show when he pretends to dance half way through that trancey song of theirs?

BTW, it looked amazing there of course, but it looks AMAZING on TV, what a spectacle.

Edited by Deaf Nobby Burton

Right disclaimer is I'm a Coldplay fan anyway, but I'm watching it back for the third time tonight with a couple of ciders, and as a spectacle for me it cannot be beaten

charlie brown on the tele surpasses anything visually at a gig that I've ever seen. That's peak festival headline set for me, that song. I thought it when I was there anyway but watching on tv it looks ridiculous. That's why I was so excited to see that alert on the app in the morning about getting wristbands

id be very surprised if that is beaten for me. It surpasses anything else by a crazy amount 

Edited by efcfanwirral

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/20/2016 at 1:54 PM, Scruffylovemonster said:

In a place where Neil Young was regaling us with a banging 20 minute version of down by the river, a crunchingly loud Hey Hey My My and an amazing cover of a day in the life, people were seriously watching Bloc Party on their intimacy tour? 

Each to their own. 

Do you know, I'd deliberately never watched any of the Neil Young footage because I knew it would just make me feel massively shit about missing it.

After these threads about headliners I sucked it up, went on youtube and looked up Rockin' In The Free World.

I was right - I feel massively shit about missing it.

On 7/21/2016 at 9:30 AM, CaledonianGonzo said:

Really not feeling that Portishead ABBA cover that they used to bum everyone out with before the Syrian Orchestra.

Way to bum everyone out first thing in the morning, Glastonbury.

Everyone was feeling quite shit that morning anyway in fairness. Was a very strange morning.