2017 festival

kaosmark2

• Replies 6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 minutes ago, VCK said:

Where did you guys read that Catfish ruled themselves out?

If they're not playing then maybe get alt-J to sub Kasabian? Or Tame Impala if they're around.

They're supporting Green Day on their North American tour. And yeah I'm thinking it would be one of those two as well, now Tame Impala aren't actually on hiatus and alt-J are around.

18 hours ago, dentalplan said:

Aye but what I'm saying is they should be thankful to get that, as they played third at their peak and NME headline isn't that far removed from that slot. The record they just put out has had the worst first week since their debut and might be set to fall out of the top 40 on its second week. Pretty rough.

It's not really relative to anything - I only checked it out as a final 'told you so' to those who predicted they'd headline :P - but I'm just surprised at how much they've bombed.

I loved how they were hyping up the fact that they were in a two horse race to get #1 album that week, then they ended up 3rd. 

Its just a really boring album that sounds like it was made purely to make them a bigger band, but it's so boring I don't see how it can actually do that. Surely they have to drop off from this - not sure on the exact sales figures but they've gone from a #1 album to a #3 album, as well as had some questionably poor selling gigs. Surely they won't get anywhere near selling out Alexandra Palace. 

Skepta has toured excessively in the UK for the last year he could easily sub R+L as an exclusive or the following year with whatever he decides to do. If you want a grime artist to headline the NME it will be Wiley with Godfather or Stormzy when he releases his new album that he's working on. I personally think a joint BBK album is on the way and as a result BBK will headline R+L in 2018 / 2019. No chance Skepta would be third down he's an obvious choice for a push.

Edited by GodlikeYeezus

Skepta could easily sub, what with the ridiculously strong headliners, I'm full expecting some weaker subs, however I'd expect Skepta to take 3rd below Major Lazer and Eminem if he is there. Would be surprised to not see BBK at Leeds Festival in some way shape or form as they'll wanna keep building the hype around grime music, plus wouldn't put it past Skepta to drop a surprise release in the next few months to stay relevant, in those genres it's more about singles rather than albums. PS Wiley is no way near big enough to headline the NME on his own.

Would love Tame Impala, but it does appear despite there being no hiatus, that they are taking time out to write a new album and therefore won't be touring but we'll see. I'd love to be wrong. Seems a bit too soon for Alt J to sub again, seems like a natural progression for them would be a co-headline slot. 

I thought Jamie T would sub once Catfish were ruled out but someone in the Glasto section (potentially Floorfiller) pointed out he has no dates at all lined up now that his tour has finished.

I'm now thinking Skepta below Kasabian and I had YMAS below Muse but it feels too weak. Maybe they'll have one of Royal Blood, alt-J or Tame Impala subbing but I expected the first two to be pushing for a headline slot at R&L now.

Edit: Or maybe Bastille are subbing and their days are just fucked up on their tour dates. I remember Jake Bugg having Sunday at Reading down on his tour dates in 2014 and therefore putting him below Blink in the prediction game only for him to end up Saturday below Arctic Monkeys.

Edited by Will-2609

9 minutes ago, Will-2609 said:

.Edit: Or maybe Bastille are subbing and their days are just fucked up on their tour dates. I remember Jake Bugg having Sunday at Reading down on his tour dates in 2014 and therefore putting him below Blink in the prediction game only for him to end up Saturday below Arctic Monkeys.

This is a good point, would seem strange having 3 very strong headliners to then book an act who could sub easily as NME headliners, would almost seem like they're throwing money into the wrong places.

On 1/16/2017 at 5:33 PM, robmongascy said:

has SW4 and Reading ever shared anyone? can't see Pendulum subbing at R&L if they're headlining SW4. however, it's quite strange that the wording in the press statement says "first london show in 6 years" rather than "uk show".

could still be hope for it

The e-mail I got for SW4 said that Pendulum are returning for a 'one-off UK show'

Tame won't be there, Kevin has taken time out to do some solo things (if you can call it that) and will only be doing a couple of dates with Mark Ronson this summer. As for sub for Kasabian, why couldn't Liam Gallagher do it? A back catalogue of Oasis hits that a youthful reading crowd would dig

2 hours ago, dentalplan said:

Are Bastille easily a sub though? Would be more inclined to stick them third down, tho they did that a couple of years back so NME instead.

I can't stand them but they did a big UK tour off the back of this album, played third down last time.

Compare them to other recent subs and they're no smaller.

4 hours ago, leej7 said:

Tame won't be there, Kevin has taken time out to do some solo things (if you can call it that) and will only be doing a couple of dates with Mark Ronson this summer. As for sub for Kasabian, why couldn't Liam Gallagher do it? A back catalogue of Oasis hits that a youthful reading crowd would dig

Would love to see tame impala there, can see where you are coming from with LG, any chance of one of Noel Gallaghers high flying birds or Liam Gallagher being at R+L?

2 hours ago, Little Sparrow said:

I can't stand them but they did a big UK tour off the back of this album, played third down last time.

Not quite sure. The tour was pretty damn big, granted, but  the festival slots they've been grabbing recently have mostly (they subbed TITP, I suppose) not been suggestive of subbing a festival like R+L and they had spent about two years getting slots on the promise of a new album anyway. I don't think there'd be much complaint for a band like them subbing but it just wouldn't surprise me to have them billed lower.

4 hours ago, leej7 said:

Oo my bad, that throws the cats among the pigeons, still think they might be a bit big to sub imo

Tame Impala? Nah definitely not too big to sub. Not until they have a new album and even then it'll need someone giving them a chance.

12 hours ago, GodlikeYeezus said:

Skepta has toured excessively in the UK for the last year he could easily sub R+L as an exclusive or the following year with whatever he decides to do. If you want a grime artist to headline the NME it will be Wiley with Godfather or Stormzy when he releases his new album that he's working on. I personally think a joint BBK album is on the way and as a result BBK will headline R+L in 2018 / 2019. No chance Skepta would be third down he's an obvious choice for a push.

12 hours ago, oneoftherest said:

Skepta could easily sub, what with the ridiculously strong headliners, I'm full expecting some weaker subs, however I'd expect Skepta to take 3rd below Major Lazer and Eminem if he is there. Would be surprised to not see BBK at Leeds Festival in some way shape or form as they'll wanna keep building the hype around grime music, plus wouldn't put it past Skepta to drop a surprise release in the next few months to stay relevant, in those genres it's more about singles rather than albums. PS Wiley is no way near big enough to headline the NME on his own.

Would love Tame Impala, but it does appear despite there being no hiatus, that they are taking time out to write a new album and therefore won't be touring but we'll see. I'd love to be wrong. Seems a bit too soon for Alt J to sub again, seems like a natural progression for them would be a co-headline slot. 

To both of these posts Skepta isn't subbing.

9 hours ago, leej7 said:

Oo my bad, that throws the cats among the pigeons, still think they might be a bit big to sub imo

They won't be subbing 

9 hours ago, Little Sparrow said:

I saw them on that tour (wasn't my choice) and the main thing I noticed about the crowd was that it didn't really seem like a crowd of people who went to festivals, more a 1/2 gigs a year type so not sure how much I'd read into that tour.