Political equality @ Glasto...

tom22

No, I wasn't.  I saw a lot of it first hand. 

Miners had a few agitators, not disimilar to those who headed up footballl  hooligan firms.  Anyway that's history.

and mostly those agitators were old bill plants. :rolleyes:

I've seen the old bill plants in action at Stonehenge, and the result included stuff like a woman holding a baby getting btruncheoned.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The current Hillisborough enquiry - if you have followed it closely - has shown up clear, premeditated conspiracy between the police and government to portray the miners as the aggressors, as part of a wider political campaign by the Thatcher government. Exactly the same tactic, including some of the same police officers did exactly the same a few years later at Hillsborough

and mostly those agitators were old bill plants. :rolleyes:

I've seen the old bill plants in action at Stonehenge, and the result included stuff like a woman holding a baby getting btruncheoned.

Sounds to me like spreading privilege and rewarding hardworking families.

Trolls don't answer questions they just flame. I'd just stop fanning. 

Out of curiosity, I've often wondered is there any correlation between the Tories getting into power and the plethora of benefit programmes on the TV? Seems you can't channel flick without coming across either Benefit St, How to get a council house or any number of these types of programmes

Out of curiosity, I've often wondered is there any correlation between the Tories getting into power and the plethora of benefit programmes on the TV? Seems you can't channel flick without coming across either Benefit St, How to get a council house or any number of these types of programmes

It's clear as a bell.

Edit a bell not mud. Too early for this.

Edited by Zac Quinn

A lot of them seemed to emerge around 2013/14, although there were a couple which started in 2009. They piss me off no end. 

The newest BBC programme in the pipeline is 'The Hardest Grafter'. Only applicable to those who receive benefits, of 15.5k a year or less. Contestants perform a series of jobs with the 'least effective workers' leaving after each task. After they've completed these jobs with no pay, the 'winner' is given a cash prize of £15,500 (minimum wage outside of London for a year)

Classy eh?

Wonder if the same people own the TV media companies as who owns the newspapers?

:(

It's all a wonderful distraction technique, all the more effective for how crap most people's working conditions are. Just gives even more fire to the anger at those who seem to be getting away with doing nothing - and the angrier folk get the less likely they are to ask why and more likely to vote to 'stop this kind of thing'

Then the attention is off the fat cats creaming it off at the top at almost an order of magnitude higher rate

I like those 'Road Champions: Watch the Police Use Excessive Force to Take Down Teenagers Smoking Weed!' shows myself.

Wonder if the same people own the TV media companies as who owns the newspapers?

:(

It's all a wonderful distraction technique, all the more effective for how crap most people's working conditions are. Just gives even more fire to the anger at those who seem to be getting away with doing nothing - and the angrier folk get the less likely they are to ask why and more likely to vote to 'stop this kind of thing'

Then the attention is off the fat cats creaming it off at the top at almost an order of magnitude higher rate

I would imagine most folk on benefits can't afford to take out injunctions to hide shady dealings. 

Had an occurance recenty in Ireland where a billionaire ex pat (ye know for tax purposes) tried to get a record of a speech to be struck off and taken off the dail website. A TD had used parliamentory priviledge to bring it to the attention of the Irish people due to an injunction.

Absolutely bonkers, we're getting screwed and this guy is profiting handsomely while enjoying his profits in his Maltese tax haven. 

As always, yes and no. Murdoch has The Times and The Sun and Sky. The government has a licence and financial influence on the BBC and Channel 4.

Guardian Media group also runs the Real Radio local radio stations. Trinity Mirror (Daily Mirror) also owns about a third of the UK's local evening and weekly papers.

But you need to draw a distinction between broadcasters who run the channels and commission programmes and programme makers who tend to be independent - like Endemol Shine (Big Brother, Pointless etc).

But if you are a programme maker you are going to try to devise programmes that are likely to be commissioned - i.e. popular.

Just something I was talking to my mates about at the festival...Glastonbury is completely brilliant, any person will have the time of their life their, music or no music, drugs or no drugs, booze or no booze etc.

It's a great leveller, CEOs moshing with toilet cleaners, people coming together from across the world to enjoy five amazing days in Somerset, detached (as much as you can be in 2015) from the rest of the world.

So open, so free, so fun...except everywhere you go there's more left wing politics drummed down your throat than you can quite take in. I understand the history of CND and the fact there's always going to be a lefty bias at these kinds of events, but it kind of feels like how I imagine it was in the height of Communist China or Cuba with the one-sided nature of things, particularly in Shangri-La and Leftfield.

I don't particularly care one way or the other and certainly don't take offence to any of it, but surely it's completely contradictory to the open nature of an event like this to have it making such uncontested political statements against the democratically elected government with no opportunity for any kind of fair debate?

(Bet this will get torn to shreds).

With the world as we know it increasingly driven by right wing neoliberalism, with its authoritarian touch,  thank god for an alternative voice. and i mean Glastonbury Festival's, not yours.  You might be happier at a Daily Mail Fun Day for Young Conservatives.

Completely get all of the above, and as I say I'm not fussed one way or the other. I just find it odd how inclusivity is at the heart of so much of Glasto, yet so much is so narrow about the spectrum of opinions you see and can have. In our group of 6 for example, I know votes in May went for at least 3 different political parties. That's our choice, it doesn't make me like/respect them or anyone else more or less. However how it can be right for things like the below to be completely fine with no other side of the argument are what I'm referring to. Where's the huge mural mocking Ed Miliband?

478956448-large-mural-depicting-british-

Glastonbury is a collaborative performing arts festival as such the flavour of the festival reflects the flavour of the people who attend just like any collaborative effort. In the same way that if you asked a load of irish / trad / folk musicians to have a jam session together it shouldn't surprise you that they don't all start playing Indonesian gamelan.

So basically, if you want to do a performance art piece of you sucking David Cameron off - nobody is going to stop you.

But to you and your irk I say; you are just so not rainbow rhythms.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zOKsSBRHOIg

Glasto is an annual event and some people (myself included) wear boring old suits to work and do boring old jobs for 'the man' all day long. All year round I have to bite my tongue as people senior to me at work express their swivel eyed right wing bullshit, offering a meek 'well yeah okay but have you ever thought about it like...' rather than yelling "YOU ARE A FUCKING MORON, MONETARISM/NEO CLASSICAL ECONOMICS DOESN'T WORK - AUSTERITY HAS FAILED AND YOU'RE GOING TO END UP KILLING US ALL"

So - if once a year I can come to a place where I can revel in the glory of being surrounded by other switched on, pragmatic, loving people and if once a year I can have a little bit of my faith in the goodness of humanity restored then please I ask you for this one weekend do as I do for rest of the year and bit your greedy little tongue.

Because he's a troll with no depth, and no truth.

The sad twat has now disappeared up his own A hole. Shame really, in a twisted kind of way i was actually enjoying reading his posts.  Looked at his profile just now (Hell yeah, I'm stalking him :) ) and he's now down to minus three on reputation... is that a record?

The sad twat has now disappeared up his own A hole. Shame really, in a twisted kind of way i was actually enjoying reading his posts. Looked at his profile just now (Hell yeah, I'm stalking him :) ) and he's now down to minus three on reputation... is that a record?

Nah check out that crazy penguin, that could be the record. We're ok with people's politics but fuck up on the music and you're mincemeat

What I find heartening is: in spite of the musical differences, the Weather vs NFR arguments, the people who get offended by slagging of act a, b or c off, those who post about football vs those who hate it:

efests comes together to tell the tories to fuck off.

Edited by FuzzyDunlop