Political equality @ Glasto...

tom22

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just something I was talking to my mates about at the festival...Glastonbury is completely brilliant, any person will have the time of their life their, music or no music, drugs or no drugs, booze or no booze etc.

It's a great leveller, CEOs moshing with toilet cleaners, people coming together from across the world to enjoy five amazing days in Somerset, detached (as much as you can be in 2015) from the rest of the world.

So open, so free, so fun...except everywhere you go there's more left wing politics drummed down your throat than you can quite take in. I understand the history of CND and the fact there's always going to be a lefty bias at these kinds of events, but it kind of feels like how I imagine it was in the height of Communist China or Cuba with the one-sided nature of things, particularly in Shangri-La and Leftfield.

I don't particularly care one way or the other and certainly don't take offence to any of it, but surely it's completely contradictory to the open nature of an event like this to have it making such uncontested political statements against the democratically elected government with no opportunity for any kind of fair debate?

(Bet this will get torn to shreds).

You answered it yourself when you acknowledge the history of Glastonbury.  To think that bias shouldn't take place is to decontextualise it from society.  Of course, Glastonbury developed under specific circumstances.  

Similarly, there are plenty of social institutions that have an explicit right-wing bias.  You're naive wonder gets a bit ridiculous when you compare it to Communist China or Cuba....The 'open nature' that you deem necessary is not per event or institution, but is only necessary in society as a whole.  In an open democracy it's perfectly legitimate for people of broadly similar views to get together for a variety of reasons, and even people who aren't left-wing are allowed to enter too ;)

This thread has reminded me why I stopped posting a few years back.  Of course I always knew that my political views would be in the minority on here, that much is obvious,  but posted again on the subject to test the waters, in the vain hope that this forum had matured enough to have a debate rather than descend into  the easy, childish, "there's more of us than you" personal insults and narrow minded predjudice.

Sadly that's not the case.

I think it can be summed up nicely by the number of upvotes Russycraps got when he launched into his first unprovoked and childish rant.

Haha you thick propaganda swallowing tory c**t

I think this says everything about this person's character, intelligence level and class.  The fact that it got upvoted tells you all you need to know about those people too.

"Glastonbury Festival is a Midsummer celebration of life and joy".  Well I don't seem much joy in the bile from some of the posters in this thread.

A very real (and very sad) consequence of the bitterness and insults above is the perception of the "average man on the street" about Glastonbury.  

"It's just full of shouty left wing misfits and social inadequates isn't it?"  

Some of the replies on this thread make it harder and harder for me to convince them that it isn't.

Haters will hate I guess.

Edited by Teddington

Given the large Labour support, purely out of curiosity who does eFests back for leadership?

I'm a green voter out of principle, but if Jeremy Corbyn was to win I could be persuaded to vote labour. Unfortunately it's unlikely to happen as the right wing biased media are painting his election as the death of the labour party.

Given the large Labour support, purely out of curiosity who does eFests back for leadership?

I'm a green voter usually. If Corbyn was to win, I could be swayed to vote for Labour. Though I can see Burnham winning. Even though Corbyn has the support of Unite, Burnham seems to be connecting with would-be Labour voters (certainly among my friend group)

On a side note - I've been following this thread without replying. Very much on the shouty left-winger side of things. Though, I am very much open to reasons why I should switch my vote in future. Yet to meet a right-winger who is to give me those reasons, reasons that aren't selfish.

Edited by sheffieldlady

This thread has reminded me why I stopped posting a few years back. Of course I always knew that my political views would be in the minority on here, that much is obvious, but posted again on the subject to test the waters, in the vain hope that this forum had matured enough to have a debate rather than descend into the easy, childish, "there's more of us than you" personal insults and narrow minded predjudice.

I think it can be summed up nicely by the number of upvotes Russycraps got when he launched into his first unprovoked and childish rant.

I think this says everything about this person's character, intelligence level and class. The fact that it got upvoted tells you all you need to know about those people too.

"Glastonbury Festival is a Midsummer celebration of life and joy". Well I don't seem much joy in the bile from some of the posters in this thread.

A very real (and very sad) consequence of the bitterness and insults above is the perception of the "average man on the street" about Glastonbury.

Some of the replies on this thread make it harder and harder for me to convince them that it isn't.

So then how were you "slap bang in the middle" of the miners / police violence?

I actually think the average man or woman on the street probably sees Glastonbury as a massively popular long running music festival and not much else.

Perhaps it's just raving mad right wingers who would class us all as misfits and social inadequates.

Edited by Jakeyboy1986

I actually think the average man or woman on the street probably sees Glastonbury as a massively popular long running music festival and not much else.

Perhaps it's just raving mad right wingers who would class us all as misfits and social inadequates.

UPVOTE

I think this says everything about this person's character, intelligence level and class.  The fact that it got upvoted tells you all you need to know about those people too.

I for one appreciated your fine response, "As for you, I really couldn't care less if you live, die or something inbetween.  Suck it up leftie, another 5  years of TORY RULE." Really classy. Your veiled threats to Sawdusty were a nice touch too. Pot calling the kettle black?

This thread has reminded me why I stopped posting a few years back.  Of course I always knew that my political views would be in the minority on here, that much is obvious,  but posted again on the subject to test the waters, in the vain hope that this forum had matured enough to have a debate rather than descend into  the easy, childish, "there's more of us than you" personal insults and narrow minded predjudice.

"Glastonbury Festival is a Midsummer celebration of life and joy".  Well I don't seem much joy in the bile from some of the posters in this thread.

That's great. The last thing we want are your chinless friends finding out the truth about the festival and wanting to come along.

People like them, and you, are not wanted. You are the hated, loathesome enemy.

Now do tell us more about being slap bang in the middle of the miners strike, you fantasist weirdo.

Burnham or Cooper. Corbyn would probably lose seats even from Labour's current base, and if Labour lose seats in 2020 it will likely be Tories until 2030, barring a major national event which will cause a big political swing. 

I like Corbyn, but he hasn't a cat in hells chance of being elected. Burnham and Cooper aren't great candidates but stand a good chance of at least taking enough seats off the Tories for them to lose their majority. 

Edited by arcade fireman

So then how were you "slap bang in the middle" of the miners / police violence?

I have my reasons for saying no more, if you choose not to believe me then that's up to you.   Either way it doesn't change the main thrust of the argument -the fact is there WERE agitators who were mixed up with the miners, who's sole intention was to casue trouble.  Equally there were actions on the side of the police (that came out later) which were unforgivable. 

I for one appreciated your fine response, "As for you, I really couldn't care less if you live, die or something inbetween.  Suck it up leftie, another 5  years of TORY RULE." Really classy. Your veiled threats to Sawdusty were a nice touch too. Pot calling the kettle black?

Yes I agree that response wasn't one of my best.  I shouldn't have posted that - I lashed out.  As for "Sawdusty" , I saw the veiled threats coming at me.

To Teddington I stand by what I say. Not an attack on you as such I just happen to think you are telling porkies to support your personal and in my opinion wrongly held beliefs.

Fair enough, that's what forums are all about- opinions.  Hopefully there will be others around who can verify my statements then, and maybe that will be enough to convince you. 

I think this says everything about this person's character, intelligence level and class. The fact that it got upvoted tells you all you need to know about those people too.

No, not really. In fact not at all, it says nothing other than it made them laugh or smile.

But don't let that stop you please