Headliners 2016

thewayiam

I've been doing my best to be positive about this since last night but it is a bit shit really, isn't it. 

Yes she's a massive star, it's a great signing for the festival, it'll be all over the news but I just think that it will be incredibly dull. 

I missed not having a Pyramid headliner last year because, much as we all drone on about it not being all about the main stage, there is something truly magical about a great Pyramid headline show. It looks like I won't be bothering again this year unless there really is nothing else that grabs me above a repeat Coldplay set.

Taking my son this year and was hoping more for his sake that there would be something we could both get behind.

Disappointing. 

• Replies 15.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

7 minutes ago, Gnomicide said:

much as we all drone on about it not being all about the main stage, there is something truly magical about a great Pyramid headline show. It looks like I won't be bothering again this year unless there really is nothing else that grabs me above a repeat Coldplay set.

I'm in the exact same boat as you there

3 minutes ago, Gnomicide said:

I've been doing my best to be positive about this since last night but it is a bit shit really, isn't it. 

Yes she's a massive star, it's a great signing for the festival, it'll be all over the news but I just think that it will be incredibly dull. 

I missed not having a Pyramid headliner last year because, much as we all drone on about it not being all about the main stage, there is something truly magical about a great Pyramid headline show. It looks like I won't be bothering again this year unless there really is nothing else that grabs me above a repeat Coldplay set.

Taking my son this year and was hoping more for his sake that there would be something we could both get behind.

Disappointing. 

Who would you have liked?

I agree with your sentiment, and in all the years I've been going a Pyramid headliner that I really want to watch only comes around once every few festivals (though I have occasionally watched others out of curiosity) so my own tastes don't often match up with the big gigs. As such I'm loathe to criticise because I'm terrible at offering reasonable alternatives.

That'll be why I'm still waiting on Aphex Twin to do it... 

12 minutes ago, Wooderson said:

Booking these three was an afternoon's work by Emily mate. As clear a "noooo we're not gonna fahking do Stone'enge!" reaction to the Prince fiasco as your likely to see.

Exactly, hang on for Prince playing silly buggers, get death threats for booking Kanye. What you going to do? get on the blower to some mates who you know a) won't dick you about and b)loads of people will like.

Very disappointing, but unsurprising

Just now, Mardy said:

Exactly, hang on for Prince playing silly buggers, get death threats for booking Kanye. What you going to do? get on the blower to some mates who you know a) won't dick you about and b)loads of people will like.

Very disappointing, but unsurprising

I blame that c**t with the petition.

Just now, FuzzyDunlop said:

I blame that c**t with the petition.

Yeah, I'd have him up as a headliner. In the fucking stocks for an hour and half. Maybe even longer, fuck it, I'd chuck in some money to pay the curfew fine.

15 minutes ago, fatyeti24 said:

Who would you have liked?

I agree with your sentiment, and in all the years I've been going a Pyramid headliner that I really want to watch only comes around once every few festivals (though I have occasionally watched others out of curiosity) so my own tastes don't often match up with the big gigs. As such I'm loathe to criticise because I'm terrible at offering reasonable alternatives.

That'll be why I'm still waiting on Aphex Twin to do it... 

That's the thing though isn't it. I'd have gone along to Stone Roses even though I'm by no means a big fan, as I think that could've been a special atmosphere. 

The dream was AC/DC but that died a few weeks back. Any of the 2009 acts returning would have made me very happy.

I think I preferred the Kanye booking. Again not for me but at least it was edgy, different and aimed at a younger audience.

15 minutes ago, Gnomicide said:

That's the thing though isn't it. I'd have gone along to Stone Roses even though I'm by no means a big fan, as I think that could've been a special atmosphere. 

The dream was AC/DC but that died a few weeks back. Any of the 2009 acts returning would have made me very happy.

I think I preferred the Kanye booking. Again not for me but at least it was edgy, different and aimed at a younger audience.

I'd have been there for the Roses too, even though I have a ticket to see them a couple of weeks after Glastonbury anyway. Them aside I struggle to come up with anyone that I'd like who would fit the bill.

Twas ever thus though, as far as I can remember I only saw two Pyramid headliners in my first five festivals (pre fence) , one of them was shit (Prodigy) and one of them was under duress (I'm looking at you Bowie!). 

Ah well. 

Edited by fatyeti24

49 minutes ago, Mardy said:

Problem of being the biggest music festival going, innit? You're organising Glastonbury, there are expectations. You're on the blower to bands trying to sort out your headliners. Which one of muse, coldplay and adele do you say, 'Nah, you're alright. No thanks. Why don't you try Giddings?’

Muse.

1 minute ago, Scruffylovemonster said:

I think that's slightly harsh mate. Can't compare Adele to 1D. Having both Muse AND Coldplay when they've both played so recently is a far bigger problem than yesterday's announcement.

Same audience chief. People who throw a record in with rest of shopping in Tesco.

15 minutes ago, Scruffylovemonster said:

3 pyramid headliners you like (especially on your first one) is not a bad thing really. As long as you make sure you explore other areas in the day. 

Yea I am going to make sure I try and see as much as I can from all the areas during the days and also after the headliners. Just fingers crossed for the resale now and looking forward to the full line up!

2 hours ago, Gnomicide said:

Definately, as much as I say that it is a massive coup for the eavii, I won't be going anywhere near the pyramid this year. Would have loved for the Radiohead confirmation for Friday night. Would have definately seen them and I can't be arsed traipsing around the site on the lookout for a secret Radiohead set.

Edited by BlackHole2006

I've only been going since 2009, I've never seen a Pyramid headliner. (I will note that I didn't go in 2013 otherwise I wouldn't be able to say that) The headliners are so insignificant to me, there so much more to see. I do agree that the 3 headliners this year are bland as, and that Adele can chuff off! but there so much going on elsewhere that isn't bland, it doesn't matter. I just hope I get a resale ticket. Please let me get a resale ticket. See y'all at the Avalon :-)

Just now, Brave Sir Robin said:

At least we know exactly where the chair and blanket brigade will be Saturday and Sunday nights, so the rest of us can enjoy ourselves all the more elsewhere. LCD, Slayer, and Earth, Wind & Fire will make for a magnificent set of headliners.

Is Slayer not the latest efests meme I've failed to pick up on? They're not playing are they?

A mate of mine heard it from a mate of his in the US (And the American fella did used to be a metal gig promoter tbf). It's strangely specific in that he said it'd be the Park stage though. And it could all be a massive wind-up, knowing that I love both Slayer and Glastonbury, as does another mate I'm going with! 

But the dates and the festival exclusivity do fit. And Glastonbury do like bunging in the occasional ridiculous curveball. So it's not as stupid as you'd think at first.