Run the Jewels, Jewels, Jewels

makhulumo

3 hours ago, Tuna said:

RTJ live feed off of the audience energy. It would be wrong for everyone.

While that's true, they also produce energy better than just about any other double act you could think of - seriously, if there's a more energetic act in hip hop please let me know.  Check out their Coachella set from last year if you're not convinced they have it in them to carry a huge main stage, even to a casual crowd. It'd go down at least as well as Skepta last year, and even better for having more than two songs. ;)

46 minutes ago, big__phil said:

Given the choice I'd have them in a tent, at night. Obviously they were great in the late afternoon slot last time, but they'd get a bigger crowd this time, and I think the atmosphere would be better if they were to headline JP.

Dunno if they'd definitely get a bigger crowd. Whilst they've obviously crown in stature they'd be up against bigger names this time and it wasn't exactly a tiny crowd a couple of years ago. 

2 minutes ago, Mash011 said:

While that's true, they also produce energy better than just about any other double act you could think of - seriously, if there's a more energetic act in hip hop please let me know.  Check out their Coachella set from last year if you're not convinced they have it in them to carry a huge main stage, even to a casual crowd. It'd go down at least as well as Skepta last year, and even better for having more than two songs. ;)

Skepta was the funnest act of the day tbh.

3 minutes ago, Mash011 said:

Kanye and justin vernon

13 minutes ago, Mash011 said:

RTJ are nowhere near Skepta's popularity in the UK.

I'd be shocked if they did the pyramid. Could any non fans actually name a single song of theirs?

32 minutes ago, ConorC said:

RTJ are nowhere near Skepta's popularity in the UK.

I'd be shocked if they did the pyramid. Could any non fans actually name a single song of theirs?

While that's true, if you look at the festival slots they tend to play there's not much in it - probably since Skepta's popularity shot up considerably in the second half of last year, and it's hard to tell if he'll sustain that. Plus RTJ are the better live act by a considerable margin, and stand a much better shot at converting casuals than he did. :)

5 minutes ago, Mash011 said:

While that's true, if you look at the festival slots they tend to play there's not much in it - probably since Skepta's popularity shot up considerably in the second half of last year, and it's hard to tell if he'll sustain that. Plus RTJ are the better live act by a considerable margin, and stand a much better shot at converting casuals than he did. :)

I've seen both live on multiple occasions and I dunno, Skepta is hardly low energy is he?

In terms of UK festivals Skepta has had higher slots in the last couple of years than RTJ have had as far as I know, he's pretty much plays main stage only now.

I'm of the opinion that their popularity over here hasn't gone up that much since 2015 and I think the venues they're playing for these new dates reflects that.

11 minutes ago, ConorC said:

I've seen both live on multiple occasions and I dunno, Skepta is hardly low energy is he?

In terms of UK festivals Skepta has had higher slots in the last couple of years than RTJ have had as far as I know, he's pretty much plays main stage only now.

I'm of the opinion that their popularity over here hasn't gone up that much since 2015 and I think the venues they're playing for these new dates reflects that.

Looking in more detail at their bookings last year it is a bit hard to tell because it's very inconsistent - Skepta subbed Bestival but he also played middle of the day of at Field day under James Blake, Four Tet, Deerhunter and Yeasayer. Run the Jewels on the other hand only had one date which was subbing Lovebox.

Since Lovebox and Field Day are the same venue you could probably use that to argue Run the Jewels are bigger than Skepta, which I don't think is true - more likely they were bumped up a bit due to exclusivity - but they're not a huge amount smaller, either.