Run the Jewels, Jewels, Jewels

makhulumo

10 minutes ago, t0paz said:

Tweet from El-P earlier..

don't worry guys, we'll come back to europe and the u.k. for a more extensive tour in 2017.  these dates are just what we could fit in now.

Good. I was slightly concerned at how early those dates were. Hoping they'll make it down under late 2017 too. 

If you look at the venues they've been playing in the US leg they seem to be trying to play just about everywhere, regardless of the smaller venues.  I think they'd pull as big (or larger) crowd as 2015 on the strength of the new record, I've converted a few mates in the last couple of years and met several music fans who only really discovered them from the RTJ3 teaser tracks and DJ shadow collaboration, so it seems to me (not very objectively) that their fanbase is growing.

18 hours ago, t0paz said:

Tweet from El-P earlier..

don't worry guys, we'll come back to europe and the u.k. for a more extensive tour in 2017.  these dates are just what we could fit in now.

Thank fuck for that. What do we think, hitting the Academies in the Autumn? Seeing as London is their only date in the South of the UK, I'm hoping for something quite a bit closer!

Manchester Albert Hall looks to be an early one if doors are 6pm. Looking at other gigs that open at the same time, the curfew is 10pm. Doubt I can make it in time for the start of actual show on that schedule. :( Good for people getting the train in tho, probably.

Edited by dentalplan

12 hours ago, kalifire said:

I don't know how they could go from third down at WH to JP headliners. I'd say they're contenders for WH headliners.

It's only been 2 years, most acts like them hardly move up the lineup in that time. Take John Grant last year. Went from subbing the park stage in 2014 to playing about 4th down the JP stage in 2016. I think they'll be headlining JP stage. Tbh the JP stage stepped up the game in terms of acts last year, i think they're making it a bigger stage. Wouldn't have had Sigur Ros, M83 and Jake Bugg headlining it in the pre-2015 years.

The venues they've announced they're playing though suggest something lower than a JP headline spot, though my guess is they're announcing smaller dates to test the waters, then playing bigger festival slots and then announcing bigger venues in their Fall 2017 tour. Seen a few bands do that sort of thing, Foals did it last year, but obvs on a bigger scale.

Edited by Acid_Haze

Mumfords played small stages in 2010, subbed Other in 11 and headlined the Pyramid in 13.  Probably dozens of other examples of similar climbs to be honest.

Whether a band is right to headline a stage this summer comes down to where they are expected to be in terms of popularity come June.  There is no hard and fast rule based on where they were previously billed.

It's not a matter of wanting Run The Jewels at Glastonbury this year for me, it's a matter of needing them. Theres a very strong possibility we won't see Glastonbury at Worthy Farm until maybe 2019 or 2020; and RTJ are exactly the type of act that Glastonbury should be supporting. An act that actively says fuck the system is very rare these days and Glastonbury is the perfect place to display this. RTJ deserve a high Pyramid spot, they deserve the recognition they're getting because at the moment they are the only realists in mainstream music. 

• Upvote 1