Coachella

mccdyl001

5 hours ago, Suprefan said:

Its more about what is accepted and what isnt when it comes to non english artists. Again, the purview is really narrow and if you dont thread that needle just right then its a throwaway or even a novelty. You guys love the glasto latino tent cause it gives you a space to enjoy the novelty of the culture and not have it somehow besmirch the big music stages with its presence. Who says Blackpink wont end up selling out their bst date. Its interesting that you want to point out Bad Bunny touring during his debut album and not now. A lot has changed in 5 years.  Im sure its an enjoyable thing to see them fail though so you can sweep it under the rug and just get back to how things should be. Its ok, he'll be at Wrestlemania in April and in Marvel movies and such in the future. And potentially cleaning up at the Grammys next month. So what happens if he beats Beyonce and Adele. Still just second rate?

In the UK - yes 😂

IF he was big here i'd have no issue with him being considered - headliners get booked i don't like all the time

6 hours ago, Suprefan said:

It’s more about what is accepted and what isnt when it comes to non english artists. Again, the purview is really narrow and if you dont thread that needle just right then its a throwaway or even a novelty. You guys love the glasto latino tent cause it gives you a space to enjoy the novelty of the culture and not have it somehow besmirch the big music stages with its presence. Who says Blackpink wont end up selling out their bst date. It’s interesting that you want to point out Bad Bunny touring during his debut album and not now. A lot has changed in 5 years.  Im sure it’s an enjoyable thing to see them fail though so you can sweep it under the rug and just get back to how things should be. It’s ok, he'll be at Wrestlemania in April and in Marvel movies and such in the future. And potentially cleaning up at the Grammys next month. So what happens if he beats Beyonce and Adele. Still just second rate?

Sorry if this is just straight up rude and xenophobic but have you ever been to the UK? Because you’re sounding like the stereotype of an American who has no idea about other countries than America.

If you spent any time here in England you’d realise why Bad Bunny is just not a thing here, but I’m going to assume you’re missing all the cultural nuance and you think his credentials in America are enough for him to do what he wants in the UK.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

Sorry if this is just straight up rude and xenophobic but have you ever been to the UK? Because you’re sounding like the stereotype of an American who has no idea about other countries than America.

If you spent any time here in England you’d realise why Bad Bunny is just not a thing here, but I’m going to assume you’re missing all the cultural nuance and you think his credentials in America are enough for him to do what he wants in the UK.

He probably thinks we drive on the right hand side of the road and still use imperial

6 hours ago, Suprefan said:

Its more about what is accepted and what isnt when it comes to non english artists. Again, the purview is really narrow and if you dont thread that needle just right then its a throwaway or even a novelty. You guys love the glasto latino tent cause it gives you a space to enjoy the novelty of the culture and not have it somehow besmirch the big music stages with its presence. Who says Blackpink wont end up selling out their bst date. Its interesting that you want to point out Bad Bunny touring during his debut album and not now. A lot has changed in 5 years.  Im sure its an enjoyable thing to see them fail though so you can sweep it under the rug and just get back to how things should be. Its ok, he'll be at Wrestlemania in April and in Marvel movies and such in the future. And potentially cleaning up at the Grammys next month. So what happens if he beats Beyonce and Adele. Still just second rate?

Why are you twisting what people are saying? The fact is a lot of this forum and the UK as a whole has supported non-english music. It was a delight to watch Rosalia go from playing Somerset House, Brixton and then the O2... she has worked hard to break into the UK market including a well received slot on the John Peel stage.

I don't think one person has criticised Bad Bunny or said he's not a huge artist. The fact is he isn't huge here in the UK, like many people have already told you, he's made no effort in this country and gets zero radio play. No one is saying he shouldn't or can't play Glastonbury, same as Blackpink, just that if they were to be booked they wouldn't headline. 

And as Matt just mentioned, that's viewpoint held over here by everyone, it's not really a debate. 

Foals are supporting Paramore on tour but would headline here, Arctic Monkeys and The 1975 don't headline American festivals etc. Sometimes there just isn't crossover. It works both ways and we don't kick off saying America have a narrow viewpoint because they refuse to give our artists a bump up to headline.

18 minutes ago, PGTIps said:

Foals are supporting Paramore on tour but would headline here, Arctic Monkeys and The 1975 don't headline American festivals etc. Sometimes there just isn't crossover. It works both ways and we don't kick off saying America have a narrow viewpoint because they refuse to give our artists a bump up to headline.

Just to point out this is completely wrong

Think the 1975 will be headlining when they next hit them too - there are plenty of other acts though that headline here but do nothing in the US though e.g. Gallaghers, Biffy

20 minutes ago, Suprefan said:

By the same people that brought you the too progressive coachella 2023 lineup. Here is New Orleans Jazzfest to being it home for the other folk

6BF4FFF3-2C8E-41A2-AE98-A32DFE690DEB.jpeg

Lots of big fuckin vibes in here

Probably the only time in history Ne-Yo has been billed next to Tom Jones though hahaha

1 hour ago, Suprefan said:

By the same people that brought you the too progressive coachella 2023 lineup. Here is New Orleans Jazzfest to being it home for the other folk

What a year for Jill Scott from winning the World Cup, winning I’m a celebrity get me out of here and now top line of a New Orleans festival poster

4 hours ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Frankly if Rosalia doesn't get a prime slot this year I'm going to become the Joker. The Bad Bunny that actually has a profile here.

Not sure where she would go but not interested at all really. Other sub is a guess. Could she take the 3rd down Pyramid slot aka Lauryn Hill last time? If Arctics and Queens are 1st and 2nd that day it would certainly put the divide in there. 

1 hour ago, Suprefan said:

Past the top 4 lines I don't know anyone. But I wouldn't expect to like a Jazz Festival really.

On 1/11/2023 at 3:08 AM, Memory Man said:

Bjork with a coachella crowd is absolute lead balloon territory. A truly bizarre booking.

Her 2007 set at Coachella was absolutely insane in the best way.  And the summer of 2018 APE and Primavera shows were well attended and fascinating.  We still don't know what she has planned for the Fossora tour, but we shouldn't doubt her.  Bjork is certainly the anchovies of music - you either love her or don't get the love - but I think if you are someone who is even remotely into what she does, the show will be incredible.  I trust her implicitly. 

• Upvote 1

55 minutes ago, stanh said:

Latto and Fousheé are class! Have heard some good chat about Los Fabulosos Cadillacs and Ethel Cain, I'm looking forward to checking them out about more in depth. 

Ethel Cain is a bit too pop for me, but I saw Foushee open for James Blake once and she smashed it. Really enjoyed her set