Weather thread 2015

Swine_Glasto2014

Seeding the clouds ahead of the event soviet style is totally the way to go, along with rows of mirrors and magnifying lenses to cloudburst anything within a 10 mile radius. I reckon that should about do the job.

Every time I've ever read any suggestion of using cloud seeding it has been discounted as too expensive and difficult (it's been seriously discussed with regard to olympic opening ceremonies in the past), but as Mardy says, the Russkies have been doing it for years.

I recon we could club together and afford it ;) not sure how the farmers would feel about all the chemically treated rain falling to the west of the site!

• Replies 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Every time I've ever read any suggestion of using cloud seeding it has been discounted as too expensive and difficult (it's been seriously discussed with regard to olympic opening ceremonies in the past), but as Mardy says, the Russkies have been doing it for years.

Didn't the Festival try it in 2004? Or at least, I'm certain that Michael publicly talked about it.

Can't say it helped much.

Dry ice is used in cloud seeding to make clouds loose their moisture (make it rain) before they come to a certain area so I believe

No.

The idea was you follow the link and look. Dry ice is carbon dioxide - we make plenty of that already.

Cloud seeding is done to make clouds lose their moisture (make it rain thanks for explaining that) and is silver iodide

I quote:

After the thundery rain events of the coming few days there looks to be a famine in rain amounts thereafter especially in the South where some parts (going by this morning's output) could see the period up to the end of the run completely dry from Monday. Of course I muct add the caveat that though dry weather looks pretty guaranteed the positioning of the High will be instrumental into providing any one place with the highest temperatures but going on todays performance from the models the SW looks best favoured for this. It's nice to report on a set of models that more or less sing from the same hymn sheet and for once I think I can confidently say that the UK is heading for it's first spell of proper summer weather when we can share in all elements that fine weather can bring at this time of year and that includes high temperatures, something that has been sadly missing in the recent spell of good weather.

I wouldn't be optimistic from the JackOne forecast. The pressure is forecast to drop when the festival starts (ie. not good).

For the most part all he is talking about in his blog is the weather in the run up to the festival -- so it's great news for the people setting up the site.

All in all, it's still way too far out to predict. But you'd rather the high was moving towards us in ten days time, not next week.

I wouldn't be optimistic from the JackOne forecast. The pressure is forecast to drop when the festival starts (ie. not good).

For the most part all he is talking about in his blog is the weather in the run up to the festival -- so it's great news for the people setting up the site.

All in all, it's still way too far out to predict. But you'd rather the high was moving towards us in ten days time, not next week.

Chin up old bean. All the talk on the netweather forums is of a very positive end to the month.

All posts are reading similar to this at the moment:

Yes some improvements overnight with High Pressure nudging further N/E over the UK towards the last 3rd of the Month. Summer proper certaily looks to be knocking at our shores.

This is very similar to 2010 predictions. A period of bad weather. The low was supposed to come at some point during the festival.. which kept being put back further and further, then it never came.

Just please dont be as hot. Im firmly in the 2010 was my worst weather experience camp too.

Edited by FuzzyDunlop

No.

The idea was you follow the link and look. Dry ice is carbon dioxide - we make plenty of that already.

Cloud seeding is done to make clouds lose their moisture (make it rain thanks for explaining that) and is silver iodide

So you are saying dry ice is not used/can not be used in cloud seeding?

BTW there was no need to follow your link as I already know what dry ice is (thanks for trying to explain that ;) ). I thought I had read somewhere before that it can be used in cloud seeding, but you obviously know better?

Edit - Ha Ha. I just clicked on your useful Wiki link (thanks. ever so helpful) and it says in the Wiki article that dry ice can be used to seed........

Edited by ThomThomDrum