Lineup 2016

Matt42

• Replies 12k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll be pretty surprised if it is anyone other than Kanye or Biffy at this rate. That maybe part hope, as I would be chuffed with either, but I just can't think of anyone who would fit. As far as the williams hill ratings go the majority are either too small, played too recently, won't be touring, don't fit the fest, are blatantly going to be somewhere else, or just seem too hopeful. Really doubt any other headliner we get will be on the same sort of scale as RHCP now. I'm sure plenty was spent to book them as it is.

Edited by SOAD

10 hours ago, thelemon said:

If I was organising R+L I'd see the most logical headliners for this crowd as one of:
The Stone Roses
Radiohead
Kasabian
Gorillaz
The Strokes
Kanye West

The Stone Roses are a great pick as there's a big indie crowd there who will love them, and they'll sell plenty of day tickets off the back of them being an iconic British band making a big comeback. They may also be waiting to announce a new tour or possibly even new music, so could be a good bet for the last headliner. Also, I can't see them at V (wrong crowd probably) and R+L did share two headliners with T last year. Radiohead would be a really good pick for the same reasons (apart from the reunion) but they're notorious for playing weird sets, so that could be a turn off. I'd still put them as the most likely to be booked, and both would surely be affordable with the second headliner being fairly small compared to usual.

Kasabian and Gorillaz suit R+L perfectly, and both put on great shows and are definitely headliner material. Only reason I see these as unlikely is because Kasabian have been doing festivals for the last couple of years and are probably on a break. Gorillaz are also probably going to get tied up elsewhere, but I wouldn't give up on them just yet.

The Strokes would be a good booking but I feel they'd be looking for someone bigger (they're pretty big, but they only co'd last time and they've not got any bigger since) since Foals/Disclosure is presumably the weaker, cheaper option.

That leaves Kanye, who would be a strong booking (I'm not a fan, but a lot are), but they might be wary of the fact that they've already booked a dance act as a co and that's never going to go down that well with a classic R+L crowd. He was also shit at Glasto. Plus, if they've not fully sorted out the last headliner they may have seen the negative reaction and that might be playing on their minds a little with the last one.

Aside from that list, Muse are a decent shout but I can see them at Glasto and the same goes for the Foos, who could even take a year off. It's probably too soon for Biffy.

Unfortunately, GNR may seem to tempting to resist for the festival, especially if they have a bit to spend, but I think it would be a bad choice because not only is Axl a complete mess, they went down badly last time. I also think they're targeting a younger, 16-19 year old audience these days, and, as someone of that age group, I think GNR would be really underwhelming for most people. A lot of people seem pretty buzzed for RHCP, but GNR are irrelevant to that age group and, although it would sell tickets (to older people) I think they're targeting younger people and now is when they want to get them into the festival so they'll keep coming back for a long time.

Can't think of any outsiders really that would be suitable - maybe Noel Gallagher if you wanted something really out there.

If you think Radiohead are a logical option for R&L you have no idea about ten target audience.

R&L didn't share two headliners with T last year.

Kanye was great at Glasto.

GnR would go down fine.

Slipknot completely out of the question, then?

Parkway Drive are main stage material; can't see them on The Pit or the NME stage. Either Parkway are going to stick out like a sore thumb on the main stage, or we have a decent rock/metal line-up coming up in the next announcement.

Sum 41 been announced for Lowlands the week before, wouldn't be surprised to see them at Leeds. Ghost and Sleeping With Sirens also there. Just wondering who could be in the mix.

Edited by TomJonesBlade

1 hour ago, Biogeneric said:

I agree that RHCP would have cost FR a lot, but has the rest of the line-up so far really blown the budget? Doesn't look that way. I still have high hopes for a decent final headline slot and/or other premium slots.

Imagine dragons on an eu exclusive can't have been cheap

13 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

my best guess is the Foo Fighters.

There was defo something going on with their scheduling for this year around the time of their Milton Keynes shows.

It's a guess, but I wouldn't be at all surprised if that scheduling was about fitting them in to R/L.

I like the sound of this. I was supposed to see them last Summer but Dave broke his leg and I couldn't make the rescheduled date. Seeing them at R&L would be ideal!

Fair cop if it is the Foos... would be happy with that as was a bit disapointed when they pulled out of Glasto. TBH I just assumed they weren't touring this year. Although I didnt enjoy them at Reading last time but that was generally because the sound was soo low and literally everywhere I went people were talking over the music. I fear that would happen again but I may make a rare trip past the sound tower (normally hang around just next to it) if they do as hopefully won't be as bad there.

Edited by SOAD

Foos would obviously be huge for the festival, but would be a bit odd for them to do it considering they're apparently told a bunch of festivals (who they're due to reschedule with after cancelling) taking place mere months beforehand that they can't do them and will do 2017 instead, gathered with the fact they announced a hiatus not too long ago

14 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

Foos would obviously be huge for the festival, but would be a bit odd for them to do it considering they're apparently told a bunch of festivals (who they're due to reschedule with after cancelling) taking place mere months beforehand that they can't do them and will do 2017 instead, gathered with the fact they announced a hiatus not too long ago

They have announced a long hiatus previously (specifically citing the UK), and yet I'm sure they returned the following year.

3 hours ago, SOAD said:

I'll be pretty surprised if it is anyone other than Kanye or Biffy at this rate. That maybe part hope, as I would be chuffed with either, but I just can't think of anyone who would fit. As far as the williams hill ratings go the majority are either too small, played too recently, won't be touring, don't fit the fest, are blatantly going to be somewhere else, or just seem too hopeful. Really doubt any other headliner we get will be on the same sort of scale as RHCP now. I'm sure plenty was spent to book them as it is.

It's not going to be Biffy or Kanye. If it is Foos then it's worth remembering one of most obvious things each year is a Glasto header being at Reading the next year, it nearly always happebs and based on who it was meant to be, Foos as a choice out of that was a no brainer!

22 minutes ago, Muppetmark said:

Imagine dragons on an eu exclusive can't have been cheap

Nope but they sell tickets by the bucket load.

Edited by thewayiam

4 minutes ago, Biogeneric said:

They have announced a long hiatus previously (specifically citing the UK), and yet I'm sure they returned the following year.

only hiatus i can remember them announcing was in 2012, which they stuck to for at least a year+ - not just a couple of months. would be pretty weird of them to announce was sounds like a pretty definite few-year hiatus when they knew they had Reading/Leeds lined up the following August

Last Shadow Puppets and LCD have been announced for Lowlands which already seems to have a fair crossover. 

Thought Shadow Puppets might have been done by then, but it make sense for them to finish their tour high up in the UK? Their Castlefield and Ally Pally shows might explain why they haven't been announced yet.

Guessing LCD will be tied up for Glastonbury and Lovebox anyway but didn't realise they'd still be touring late August. 

Edited by mynameismatt