Lineup 2016

Matt42

1 hour ago, mynameismatt said:

Last Shadow Puppets and LCD have been announced for Lowlands which already seems to have a fair crossover. 

Thought Shadow Puppets might have been done by then, but it make sense for them to finish their tour high up in the UK? Their Castlefield and Ally Pally shows might explain why they haven't been announced yet.

Guessing LCD will be tied up for Glastonbury and Lovebox anyway but didn't realise they'd still be touring late August. 

Yeah being at Lowlands I'm kind of expecting 3rd down main stage for them, they could headline NME but I don't think FR would do that.

• Replies 12k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@eFestivals Neil, what did your comment mean by no one had guessed right leading up to the announcement just gone? A lot of people guessed Foals and 1 person even got 5 out of the acts correct so I presume there was a hint of sarcasm in there directed towards the last headliner?

Are you still on the same stance with Biffy that you don't believe it is them?, not that I think them anyway.

2 hours ago, thewayiam said:

It's not going to be Biffy or Kanye. If it is Foos then it's worth remembering one of most obvious things each year is a Glasto header being at Reading the next year, it nearly always happebs and based on who it was meant to be, Foos as a choice out of that was a no brainer

You're contradicting yourself. You say that it won't be Kanye West, but you also say that Reading almost always repeats a headliner from Glastonbury from the previous year.

Going by that logic, don't you think it makes Kanye even more likely.

Here's another 1; the previous 3 years have also had a rap/hip-hop act either headlining or subbing.

2 minutes ago, Black_Crow said:

You're contradicting yourself. You say that it won't be Kanye West, but you also say that Reading almost always repeats a headliner from Glastonbury from the previous year.

Going by that logic, don't you think it makes Kanye even more likely.

Here's another 1; the previous 3 years have also had a rap/hip-hop act either headlining or subbing.

How am I? Yes I did but I also VERY CLEARLY pointed out in that comment that Foo's were part of the original booking and they would be the no brainer!, especially with how far forward festivals book these days.

You're trying to make something up by asking a question that's already been answered.

And what?, for however many years you care to look before that, it didn't!

@Will-2609 @CRW5252 I just don't think GNR appeals to a young audience anymore, I'm 18 and, although I don't mind them, I don't know anyone who really likes them. I think they're seen as a bit of a novelty act, unlike someone like RHCP or Metallica for example who have all been fairly active (and popular at the same time) over recent years. Looking at the line-up last year and this year so far I'm sure they're trying to attract an audience of late-teens and booking GNR wouldn't really be considered much more impressive than Aerosmith. They'd still sell a load of tickets, mind, it'd just be a little odd to see them thrown in with some of the other acts.

Edited by thelemon

I love how we always seem to get stuck in these ruts of "predicting patterns". With this whole Glasto headliner doing the next year at Reading. Yes it happened with Metallica last year and Arctic Monkeys the year before, but it didn't happen in 2013, 2012, 2010, 2009, 2007 etc. In fact since I've been going it's only happened 4 times within 10. That's not really a strong pattern. It's more like a coincidence. After all I'm pretty certain Arctic Monkeys would have been booked in 2014 and Metallica in 2015 even if they hadn't done Glastonbury the year before. Arctic Monkeys were probably coming off their biggest album since their debut and hadn't done Reading for five years and Metallica had been away 7 years and they always come back around to us.

28 minutes ago, SOAD said:

I love how we always seem to get stuck in these ruts of "predicting patterns". With this whole Glasto headliner doing the next year at Reading. Yes it happened with Metallica last year and Arctic Monkeys the year before, but it didn't happen in 2013, 2012, 2010, 2009, 2007 etc. In fact since I've been going it's only happened 4 times within 10. That's not really a strong pattern. It's more like a coincidence. After all I'm pretty certain Arctic Monkeys would have been booked in 2014 and Metallica in 2015 even if they hadn't done Glastonbury the year before. Arctic Monkeys were probably coming off their biggest album since their debut and hadn't done Reading for five years and Metallica had been away 7 years and they always come back around to us.

It's happened 5 in the last 8 years and Glasto didnt happen in 2012 so you can't really include 2013 so it really becomes 5 in 7 applicable years. And if Foo's did play Reading this year then it's 6 in 8 years. That's a little more than co-incidence.

The Killers 08, KOL 09, Muse 11, Arctics 14 and Metallica 15. 

36 minutes ago, SOAD said:

Just to be clear, that's not the reason most people are predicting Kanye. Or at least I don't think it is.

1 hour ago, Nick Aldous said:

I think slaves could be an NME headliner or atleast sub this year. As sad as it is. As much as I like them, they don't deserve that spot. BBK will headline NME with slaves subbing i think.

I do like them, but with only one album and being relatively newly established it'd feel very weak. They have their EPs, but even with those, it's hardly a huge variety for a headline set.

2 hours ago, Nick Aldous said:

I think slaves could be an NME headliner or atleast sub this year. As sad as it is. As much as I like them, they don't deserve that spot. BBK will headline NME with slaves subbing i think.

NME headers will probably consist of Bloc Party, Frank Turner, The Vaccines and Jack U doing a closing set.

I think it's looking a bit like this, can switch the days around for the undercard and I'm not sure with TDCC as a sub or 3rd as if Pendulum don't play there is still a chance Tame Impala might.

Foals/Disclosure
The 1975
Courteeners
Wolf Alice

Bloc Party

RHCP
Imagine Dragons
TDCC
Twin Atlantic

Jack U Closing set
The Vaccines

I'm going to say Pendulum still, but should it be Foo Fighters then
Pendulum here
TLSP
Brand New

Frank Turner & TSS
Crystal Castles

10 hours ago, Nick Aldous said:

After seeing them last year with a 1o clock (give or take) in the tent they absolutely deserve a headline slot, for me they were the best performance of the weekend. But I think they'll do what Drenge did which is go from mid slot in tent to a lower slot on main

10 minutes ago, Andre91 said:

Slaves headlining the NME is one thing. Nah, I can't see it at all. But BBK headlining the NME!? No way in hell. I'm going for Jack Ü, Bloc Party and A Day To Remember as NME Headliners. 

I like your optimism but as The Vaccines played Glasto, T and Latitude this year, I can kind of see R&L getting them on an exclusive booking. Are ADTR really going to go Download 13, Reading 14, Download 15 and Reading again 16?, that's 4 years straight being at the same two fests an just alternating each year.    

8 minutes ago, thewayiam said:

I like your optimism but as The Vaccines played Glasto, T and Latitude this year, I can kind of see R&L getting them on an exclusive booking. Are ADTR really going to go Download 13, Reading 14, Download 15 and Reading again 16?, that's 4 years straight being at the same two fests an just alternating each year.    

What other choice do they have? Apart from maybe headlining Slam Dunk, but there's no way they can perform to that many people outside those two festivals so why wouldn't they if they were offered a slot?

4 minutes ago, Chavmeisterdeluxe said:

What other choice do they have? Apart from maybe headlining Slam Dunk, but there's no way they can perform to that many people outside those two festivals so why wouldn't they if they were offered a slot?

My point was more why would they do anything here?, already R&L, their own tour and Download last year off the back of the album.