Prodigy....

Swine_Glasto2014

They were a bit rubbish in 1997 on the main stage. For some reason they fell a bit flat, and half an hour of silence caused by technical trouble didn't help matters.

I'm very glad I saw them at the peak of their powers in 1996 at Phoenix. Awesome first festival, and The Prodigy's performance is still one of the best gigs I've been to.

Yeah the break for the technical hitch really messed it up a bit in 97.... pity really.

My first festival in 95 at Feile in Cork, Keith and Leeroy came out in the big inflatable balls from the side of the stage, ripped them open and then just 90 minutes of madness.

The end of an unbelievable day's craic.

They were the absolute business back then

• Replies 490
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

well they're co-headling one festival and so far the only festivals they've headlined in recent years have been Download and Sonisphere (who often book acts lower down other festival bills to headline). i just don't really see them as a Glastonbury headliner anymore

Coheadlining is still headlining, yo. Unless you think Biffy also are lesser as they coheadlined and have reconsidered your stance on them cementing headline status. ;)

Also the second bit is a bit unfair as they headlined the second stage at Download two weeks before headlining the Other Stage at Glastonbury. Invaders Must Die was a big ass album and the impact of it has seen them rise to headline slots again and sell out huge shows. If Glastonbury don't want them for it, fine, but I don't think they should be expected anywhere else on the Glasto bill.

Edited by dentalplan

oh I'm definitely not questioning their position as a headliner (although it may have seemed that way). if they were to play, it would be as a headliner, and to think they'd sub or headline Other now is foolish. i just don't think that Glastonbury would book them as a headliner these days really. i know that there's no 'formula' or whatever for Glastonbury headliners, but to me The Prodigy just don't really seem to fit in to the equation where Glastonbury's concerned. IOW this year, R/L next year

oh I'm definitely not questioning their position as a headliner (although it may have seemed that way). if they were to play, it would be as a headliner, and to think they'd sub or headline Other now is foolish. i just don't think that Glastonbury would book them as a headliner these days really. i know that there's no 'formula' or whatever for Glastonbury headliners, but to me The Prodigy just don't really seem to fit in to the equation where Glastonbury's concerned. IOW this year, R/L next year

Fair enough. I wouldn't completely rule them out myself but I agree it's unlikely.

They were a bit rubbish in 1997 on the main stage. For some reason they fell a bit flat, and half an hour of silence caused by technical trouble didn't help matters.

I'm very glad I saw them at the peak of their powers in 1996 at Phoenix. Awesome first festival, and The Prodigy's performance is still one of the best gigs I've been to.

Yeah, not being loud enough then going silent, only for Dennis Pennis to wander on didn't help things. Plus it was really crushed.

Monday May 4th - Newcastle 02 Academy
Tuesday May 5th - Bridlington Spa
Thursday May 7th - Birmingham O2 Academy
Friday May 8th - Cardiff Arena
Saturday May 9th - Blackpool Empress Ballroom
Monday May 11th - Reading Rivermead
Tuesday May 12th - Brighton Centre
Thursday May 14th - Bournemouth BIC
Friday May 15th - London Alexandra Palace (Late show til 3am)
Saturday May 16th - London Alexandra Palace

Obviously gives no indication of a Glastonbury appearance with the dates being in May.

Obviously gives no indication of a Glastonbury appearance with the dates being in May.

Taken the 5th of may off work,may feel rough if I see them in newcastle Edited by brettredmayne

Closest one to me is Birmingham and even that one takes the piss to get to. Gonna have to miss this one out then

Closest one to me is Birmingham and even that one takes the piss to get to. Gonna have to miss this one out then

All the one's I could go to if I was home from Uni are during my bloody exam period - Reading is literally down the road from me but it's on the first day of exams. I'm distraught ngl. :((

Its a ballache to get home from at normal gig times, let alone 3am!

Exactly what i was thinking...

Torn between the two as gigs after work on a friday can be a bit rushed (even with a late license) but if i start drinking at lunch time i'll be ready for them to play by 8pm :-)

Exactly what i was thinking...

Torn between the two as gigs after work on a friday can be a bit rushed (even with a late license) but if i start drinking at lunch time i'll be ready for them to play by 8pm :-)

Why does everyone find it necessary to go to gigs smashed? (Serious question) my best (and only) gig memories are sober ones.

Why does everyone find it necessary to go to gigs smashed? (Serious question) my best (and only) gig memories are sober ones.

Ha ha. As others have answered for me - there are plenty of gigs i very happily go to entirely sober, the prodigy isn't really one of them!

Going back to my original point of a saturday gig over a friday though (for someone who works mon-fri) it's not even really about drinking just winding down from work enough to enjoy it... which is one of the reasons i love glastonbury so much - by the time the main stages start on the friday the real world seems a very distant memory.

Wooderson!!!! You fucking genius!! I could kiss you right now!!! This has me beaming

I have no idea were my cassette recording of this gig is and if I still have it but now it does not matter. That gig will always be "my Prodigy gig". 14 years old and going ape shit.

This was one of the most played 60 mins of music when I was a teenager... This is nostalgia gold!!

Thank you sir! Thank you!!!