Electronica/Dance

bennyhana22

Finally caught Two Shell @ Venue MOT on Friday. 

Amazing night lived up the hype & expectation I had of them. Looked like it wasn't pre-recorded, guess they just wanted to troll when they did Boiler Room. 

They started at 22, playing ambient ps1, final fantasy vibe music. Then around 00 they passed it over to Ghost Phone, which was great, started extremely R&B & then built it up from there. Bored Lord took over after that, which I spent most of the time sitting in the smoking area for, sounded heavy. Then 2:30 Two Shell picked up again & played a banging set. Then I think Eternalusa finished a bit more, but left around 4 as I had plans for the next day...

MOT could really use some AC, was boiling. 

I went to Beams for Honey Dijon on Saturday. 

Quite nice overall, two big, bare, warehouse rooms. 1 big toilet section. A few food options, same drinks on offer as Printworks.

Room 2 felt like E1, if you've ever been there. 

Room 1 was a bit weird during the earlier hours, as it had windows, so it let in a lot of natural light. Which I guess was nice in hindsight, just wasn't prepared or used to it. Also think it was my first daytime rave, which added to the not used to it. (Does a festival count?)

The crowd felt super friendly, no real attitudes or bad vibes, compared to how I've felt at PW on some occasions before. 

It feels like London's attempt to respond to the Warehouse Project. It wasn't impressive, but if the music's good, I'm sure you would have a nice time.

It did have one aspect of like a one way system, which meant if you were on the right side of the stage, you'd have to cross through the crowd to leave. Wasn't too hard through the back, as people left some space. But a double one way system at the back did look like it could have been installed.

Dan Shake into Honey Dijon was my highlight. Great couple of hours. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
1 minute ago, gfa said:

WHP always manage to pull together the most unoriginal NYE lineup. I swear Annie Mac did it last year?

I thought the same but it's availability, innit? Busiest night of the year for some acts. As a DJ, you either get one exclusive set in one place (paying big bucks) or have to shoehorn in as many sets as possible, which takes a lot of careful logistical planning. And that might mean that Manchester falls outside an act's viable location. 

I always found NYD a better party than NYE. The latter is always massively overhyped and oversold.

23 minutes ago, gfa said:

WHP always manage to pull together the most unoriginal NYE lineup. I swear Annie Mac did it last year?

Yep, she's doing Halloween this weekend too. For NYE this year, Annie Mac, Ben Hemsley, Low Steppa and Krysko did it last year. Can't say I'm disappointed though, Annie Mac especially always does a stellar set, so gonna head there most likely, especially with the Kaluki lineup for the night before.

1 hour ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

I thought the same but it's availability, innit? Busiest night of the year for some acts. As a DJ, you either get one exclusive set in one place (paying big bucks) or have to shoehorn in as many sets as possible, which takes a lot of careful logistical planning. And that might mean that Manchester falls outside an act's viable location. 

I always found NYD a better party than NYE. The latter is always massively overhyped and oversold.

Its the biggest nightclub in the UK, they certainly have the pull - it will sell out regardless is probably their logic anyway

Not sure if I've just been to too many raves this year (almost definitely 😅), but recently I'm struggling to get excited about any lineups or nights.

Hoping a bit of time off might get me back in the swing of things. Logic1000 at Phonox is the next thing in the diary so hopefully that should be a vibe. Same day as England USA in the WC too, so it has all the makings of a banger! 

• 2 weeks later...
14 hours ago, CurlyPutz said:

Managed to catch max cooper at Brixton last weekend. The visuals were like nothing I have ever witnessed and the surround sound did add a fair amount to the experience. Very impressed, didnt enjoy the walk back to our crappy hotel in Peckham though. 

His Roundhouse gig in April was off the chart amazing. Three hours of absolute solid bliss, visually and sonically.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, CurlyPutz said:

Managed to catch max cooper at Brixton last weekend. The visuals were like nothing I have ever witnessed and the surround sound did add a fair amount to the experience. Very impressed, didnt enjoy the walk back to our crappy hotel in Peckham though. 

Ah, I saw his post regarding the sound setup. I imagine it was fantastic. Did you see LTJ too?

Max Cooper visuals were great, insane show.

He used the space to an insane degree. Visuals were projected onto the mesh infront of him as usual, but then also went over the architecture of the building/stage too. 

3D audio was also quite freaky at time, vocal samples coming from behind at an angle & such.

He played a very varied set, quite a journey tbh.

Didn't stay too much after, didn't enjoy what Upsammy was spinning & when walking 10 mins home was an option, kinda just took it.

17 hours ago, CurlyPutz said:

I was there too. Really enjoyed it, liked Upsammy and LTJ Bukem too. I'm into Bukem's style of DnB though, wasn't much into what Max was DJing after though so left during his set.

Edited by Johnnyseven

How'd we do in here?

I'm going again. Buzzing. Not usually lucky in General Sale. Bringing a new group of first timers. Seems to be my calling, sharing this festival with different groups of friends.

If Fred Again finds an excuse not to play, I swear to god... 

On 11/4/2022 at 12:29 PM, Tremas said:

Interesting development in the Waterworks telegram group. Organisers potentially doing something at Glastonbury next year 👀

Isn't Waterworks connected to Team Love?

Team Love have taken over Silver Hayes, so maybe going to lose another of the traditional SH stages for one of the Waterworks ones? 

29 minutes ago, Acid Loafers said:

How'd we do in here?

I'm going again. Buzzing. Not usually lucky in General Sale. Bringing a new group of first timers. Seems to be my calling, sharing this festival with different groups of friends.

If Fred Again finds an excuse not to play, I swear to god... 

Isn't Waterworks connected to Team Love?

Team Love have taken over Silver Hayes, so maybe going to lose another of the traditional SH stages for one of the Waterworks ones? 

Got one after the total chaos!

That Waterworks stage that's like 360 would be a total vibe. 

1 minute ago, bennyhana22 said:

I. Am. In. 

We will rave again in the fields. Back on E/D duty soon enough, my young Padawans. Hope everyone did ok. 

Ben x

Good to hear! 🙂

Managed to get 6 of us coach tix on thursday and my mate got another 5 today. Main crew is in, some +1s in their own group we'll try for in the resale if they are still interested.

• Like 1