Electronica/Dance

bennyhana22

50 minutes ago, bennyhana22 said:

Am I the only person in Glastonbury who just has no interest at all in Fat Boy?

I don't have any antipathy to him whatsoever, I'm just entirely indifferent to him! I've just never seen the attraction of his thing and so always kind of thought meh!

I realise that it's probably a case of it's not him, it's me...

He's just so popular!

:blink:

Ben

It depends what he is doing tbh. I have seen him be good, bad and indifferent.

On the whole, its just a party. It is just fun. I wouldnt want to see him all the time, but there is definitely a time & a place for it.

4 hours ago, bennyhana22 said:

I don't have any antipathy to him whatsoever, I'm just entirely indifferent to him! I've just never seen the attraction of his thing and so always kind of thought meh!

He's just so popular!

Ben

I’m sure he’s great fun, but too cheesy for my liking. I imagine dancing with my mates in a circle around the handbags (which has happened many moons ago). Haven’t heard any sets recently, but  the video with eats everything wasn’t bad at all, think it might be appealing to many folks! 

5 hours ago, bennyhana22 said:

He's just so popular!

Ben

He's for people who are not really into dance/ electronic music, don't know much about it but want one fun token dance 'experience' a year or event.(nothing wrong with this by the way). Likewise, people who buy 1 album a year will enjoy Adele. For this he's very very good at what he does. He's also a thoroughly decent chap. 

Edited by danbailey80

2 hours ago, danbailey80 said:

He's for people who are not really into dance/ electronic music, don't know much about it but want one fun token dance 'experience' a year or event.(nothing wrong with this by the way). Likewise, people who buy 1 album a year will enjoy Adele. For this he's very very good at what he does. He's also a thoroughly decent chap. 

I slightly disagree with that.

Whilst at some gigs (esp glastonbury gigs) he is like that. Others, he plays differently. It is never going to be too serious, but he plays some very niche classic vocals which are there for a lot of old school clubbers too.

I like him. You can see how much he loves it too. Anyone who genuinely loves what they are doing, even if it's shit gets my vote.

Well worth a listen. Its upbeat house. Nothing more, but.....

"if this dont make your booty move, your booty must be dead"

• Upvote 1

I agree with Fuzzy on that tbh, he’s a proper DJ in his prep for his sets, he knows how to work a crowd and I think all of his sets will hit the sweet spot for someone. He’s not my cup of tea, and he can’t mix to save his life, but in the purest definition of a DJ he does tick all the boxes, gets the party started and gets people dancing.

16 minutes ago, Homer said:

It's 'drum and bass day' on 6 today FYI.

It's been a great start to the day :D

On a side note, is anyone planning on seeing Mr Fingers in NYC on Sunday night? Can't decide between trying to get in there, or seeing off The Beat Hotel in style with Daniel Avery b2b Haai. 

10 hours ago, bennyhana22 said:

He's just so popular!

Ben

I am not that fussed with him, but I do like Eats Everything (Got to love a fat dj)  so I will be there for the B2B set. I must say he went up in my estimation when i heard he had never cashed a cheque for playing Glastonbury. Apart from that set on Pangea its a meh from me

7 minutes ago, zeppelin said:

On a side note, is anyone planning on seeing Mr Fingers in NYC on Sunday night? Can't decide between trying to get in there, or seeing off The Beat Hotel in style with Daniel Avery b2b Haai. 

This drum and bass sounds a hell of a lot like Real Estate/Foals!

6 minutes ago, shuttlep said:

I am not that fussed with him, but I do like Eats Everything (Got to love a fat dj)  

One saw him walking out of my local Tesco at about 10am with a shitload of lager, so perhaps not surprising. (In his defence, I think it was still yesterday where he was coming from.)

1 hour ago, Matt - Ed Banger Records said:

I agree with Fuzzy on that tbh, he’s a proper DJ in his prep for his sets, he knows how to work a crowd and I think all of his sets will hit the sweet spot for someone. He’s not my cup of tea, and he can’t mix to save his life, but in the purest definition of a DJ he does tick all the boxes, gets the party started and gets people dancing.

Read my comment back and it sounded more negative than I intended. Agree with the above. 

1 hour ago, Matt - Ed Banger Records said:

Is his mixing that ropey? I got the imprsssion he can do trainwreck-free basic beatmatching and fading (I reckon anyone who plays with the EQs for no real reason as he/The Black Madonna does is trying to overcompensate though TBF).

1 hour ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

Fine people of the electronica thread, as I'm now unable to make it, I have a spare ticket for Junction 2 in London tomorrow, FREE to a good home (maybe make a donation to @eFestivals) but be quick as I'll need to get it posted special delivery within the next few hours. The lineup is below:

J2.jpg

Giving this one final bump. Probably got an hour until I won't be able to get the ticket posted in time.

11 hours ago, bennyhana22 said:

He's just so popular!

Ben

nope, no interest at all.

was dragged to one of his sets a few years ago elsewhere, and it was utter shit.

same with Carl Cox, usually dreadful cheesey rubbish and dodgy mixing. no new DJ would get anywhere with the sets that Cox puts out.

2 hours ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

Fine people of the electronica thread, as I'm now unable to make it, I have a spare ticket for Junction 2 in London tomorrow, FREE to a good home (maybe make a donation to @eFestivals) but be quick as I'll need to get it posted special delivery within the next few hours. The lineup is below:

J2.jpg

Would love to go but I'm in rehab until glasto such a great lineup.

Pity its pissing down...well it is here in Bristol 

1 hour ago, zeppelin said:

I shall be watching Mr Fingers in the NYC, here's to hoping he can try out do MAW from 2017.

2 hours ago, Homer said:

One saw him walking out of my local Tesco at about 10am with a shitload of lager, so perhaps not surprising. (In his defence, I think it was still yesterday where he was coming from.)

he just went up in my estimation

13 hours ago, bennyhana22 said:

He's just so popular!

Ben

Electronica for me is mood music and if I just want to party with friends there's no one better than Norm. Sure, the tunes might be just on the credible side of EDM and the mixing might not technically be the best, he just plays party music for happy people and I love the guy. He's unpretentious and obviously super passionate about what he does and I dig that about him. If I want to take my mind off somewhere by myself I'll choose something a little deeper, darker, hypnotic or more sophisticated. Some sets it's great to stop dancing, step back and listen to the craft of a great DJ at work and really appreciate their skills. 

This is why I love electronica so much. There are so many variations on a theme, meaning I can flip from genre-to-genre from one stage or night to the next. And Glastonbury gives me the perfect opportunity to do so while expanding my horizons at the same time.

I do feel you though, Ben. There are some DJs, artists and genres that don't do it for me either. I was at Mysteryland Festival in Holland last year and there was a gabba stage, which was just insane. Absolutely not my thing but I stayed watching a couple hundred kids loving it for well over an hour, it was infectious. I suppose my point is, it's all good as long as everyone's having fun. For me that's what it's all about.

• Upvote 2

18 minutes ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

Electronica for me is mood music and if I just want to party with friends there's no one better than Norm. Sure, the tunes might be just on the credible side of EDM and the mixing might not technically be the best, he just plays party music for happy people and I love the guy. He's unpretentious and obviously super passionate about what he does and I dig that about him. If I want to take my mind off somewhere by myself I'll choose something a little deeper, darker, hypnotic or more sophisticated. Some sets it's great to stop dancing, step back and listen to the craft of a great DJ at work and really appreciate their skills. 

This is why I love electronica so much. There are so many variations on a theme, meaning I can flip from genre-to-genre from one stage or night to the next. And Glastonbury gives me the perfect opportunity to do so while expanding my horizons at the same time.

I do feel you though, Ben. There are some DJs, artists and genres that don't do it for me either. I was at Mysteryland Festival in Holland last year and there was a gabba stage, which was just insane. Absolutely not my thing but I stayed watching a couple hundred kids loving it for well over an hour, it was infectious. I suppose my point is, it's all good as long as everyone's having fun. For me that's what it's all about.

DJ Scotch Egg - the first and only gabba music I plan on hearing ever. 

If that's your thing crack on an be happy.

2 minutes ago, nikkic said:

Apologies if this has been covered, but can anybody shed any light on the Faithless DJ set in The Glade Saturday evening. 

Who is it likely to be? 

Sister bliss just

4 minutes ago, nikkic said:

Apologies if this has been covered, but can anybody shed any light on the Faithless DJ set in The Glade Saturday evening. 

Who is it likely to be? 

Sister Bliss playing big trancey bangers. Seen 'Faithless DJ' twice supporting Orbital. Good fun.