Electronica/Dance

bennyhana22

2 minutes ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

I'll give you the breakdown for Drum and Bass/Jungle, based upon my musical taste for this genre:

Very quick tempo (150bpm and above), breakbeat-style electronica with influences across many genres from hip-hop and reggae to dancehall and jazz amongst others. If you're looking for a more radio-friendly, vocal-break, sample-heavy DnB, seek out the likes of Chase & Status, Wilkinson, High Contrast, Sigma or DJ Fresh. You might prefer slightly less commercial acts like Andy C, Brockie, LTJ Bukem, Hype, Roni Size, Dimension, Mampi Swift all of who have slightly different styles. There is also a multitude of more progressive DnB artists like SPOR, Konflict, London Elektricity, Evol Intent, etc. There's also a thriving underground scene. Like all electronica, there's always someone pushing the envelope in a different direction.

DJs are usually accompanied by MCs who can either be "hype men" (MC GQ, Dynamite, Conrad) or lyrically dextrous MCs who rhyme over the top (Skibadee, Harry Shotta, Inja, Fearless, Det). They're not everyone's favourite but the right MC with the right DJ can set it off right. An annoying MC can ruin the set.

Some huge DnB acts announced so far for Glastonbury are: Fabio & Grooverider, Hype, Kings of the Rollers, Shy FX, Danny Byrd, London Elektricity, The Prototypes but I guarantee there'll be loads more across the weekend

Who can give my guy a breakdown of techno and house?

I thought i was woefully out of touch, but there’s enough names i recognise from the 90s there to give me a spring in my step and make me feel young again. I’m really pleasantly surprised. Thanks man

17 minutes ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

I'll give you the breakdown for Drum and Bass/Jungle, based upon my musical taste for this genre:

Very quick tempo (150bpm and above), breakbeat-style electronica with influences across many genres from hip-hop and reggae to dancehall and jazz amongst others. If you're looking for a more radio-friendly, vocal-break, sample-heavy DnB, seek out the likes of Chase & Status, Wilkinson, High Contrast, Sigma or DJ Fresh. You might prefer slightly less commercial acts like Andy C, Brockie, LTJ Bukem, Hype, Roni Size, Dimension, Mampi Swift all of who have slightly different styles. There is also a multitude of more progressive DnB artists like SPOR, Konflict, London Elektricity, Evol Intent, etc. There's also a thriving underground scene. Like all electronica, there's always someone pushing the envelope in a different direction.

DJs are usually accompanied by MCs who can either be "hype men" (MC GQ, Dynamite, Conrad) or lyrically dextrous MCs who rhyme over the top (Skibadee, Harry Shotta, Inja, Fearless, Det). They're not everyone's favourite but the right MC with the right DJ can set it off right. An annoying MC can ruin the set.

Some huge DnB acts announced so far for Glastonbury are: Fabio & Grooverider, Hype, Kings of the Rollers, Shy FX, Danny Byrd, London Elektricity, The Prototypes but I guarantee there'll be loads more across the weekend

Repetitive, cocaine, black clothes, snobbery, ketamine. Really fun. 

• Upvote 1

54 minutes ago, Matt - Ed Banger Records said:

Yeah think the cocaine and ketamine elements of the techno description need to be hooked, they’re very much the domain of the tech house lads, Topping will be full of them. 

Depends where you go for Techno and who with I guess. Was a bit a joke as well like.

The old “deep house” lads who then got into “tech house” are now into Drumcode Techno anyway aren’t they? That’s the impression I’ve got anyway. 

5 hours ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

Thanks for this, will give some of these a try, have heard a few already so got more of an idea now, ta.

For me mdma was the thing for techno.. 10 years ago. But now just a few vodkas and I can party with the best.. I just love the tunes..and dancing to them. Top place was the outside dance stage in the village 2004,05 - even in the daytime was the nuts! Anyone can give us a hint on psy, techno, going off.. Can you please post it.. Many thanks 

6 hours ago, Matt - Ed Banger Records said:

Yeah think the cocaine and ketamine elements of the techno description need to be hooked, they’re very much the domain of the tech house lads, Topping will be full of them. 

I refer you to my post above, amending Tommy’s almost accurate description, Matthew...!

Ben

7 hours ago, stu_kent said:

Well this has all got a bit stereotypical! ?

Are we suggesting that dnb heads don’t do coke and ket and don’t wear black?

Weed. Politics shaped around the legalisation of weed, baggy clothes, break beat, MC’s, white people with dreadlocks.

and I’m a fan.

14 hours ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

Great post! I know this isn't the most popular opinion on this 'ere thread but: Bring on the DnB!!!!! 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Tommy Dickfingers said:

Weed. Politics shaped around the legalisation of weed, baggy clothes, break beat, MC’s, white people with dreadlocks.

and I’m a fan.

Having been to way more than my fair share of DnB nights, I have to say that I tend to associate DnB far more with mandy and to a lesser extent speed/ket than just weed. While there are indeed some nights that always  seem full of white people with dreadlocks, equally there are many others that consist mostly of people rocking the junglist-t-shirt-with-a-silver-chain vibe. BOTH of these demographics are partial to a fair bit of mandy!

However, there are indeed considerably fewer black t-shirts at a DnB night than a techno one.... And also less people talking about climbing (or maybe thats just a Sheffield/Bristol thing)

Edited by Sasperella

I love the chance to hear such a wide range of DnB/jungle - I come from Ireland where nights of this kind of music have been thin on the ground, with just a couple of dedicated heads promoting the sound across Belfast, Derry, Dublin and Cork over the years. (Dead Man's Chest/Eveson is playing here in Belfast on Saturday though!)

I wouldn't be a fan of the more jump-up stuff - I prefer jungle and early breakbeat hardcore (largely because I'll be 42 by the time Glastonbury swings around). Seem to remember Fabio and Grooverider's History of DnB set at Arcadia on the Sunday 2017 being pretty great, hoping for similar in The Temple this year ?

28 minutes ago, ghostdancer1 said:

Dettmann is getting more and more disappointing for me any time I see him. very pedestrian sets these days IMO. same as Klock.

need something with a bit more OOOMPH

I am a fan of Paula Temple. Never seen her though

I know what you mean re: Dettman, but I listened to that set above and enjoyed it.

48 minutes ago, ghostdancer1 said:

Dettmann is getting more and more disappointing for me any time I see him. very pedestrian sets these days IMO. same as Klock.

need something with a bit more OOOMPH

Ben Klock is boring as fuck in my opinion. Dettmann is better but I’m not mad on either of them. I often wonder how many people would go mad for them if they didn’t have “Berghain” plastered all over every poster they’re on. That’s not to say people don’t like them, they obviously do.