Electronica/Dance

bennyhana22

1 minute ago, bennyhana22 said:

Yes, but (forgive me) the sound is a bit shit! And (for me), there's a slightly weird vibe in there too...

Is that just me?

Ben

Not just you, I've always found it to be a bit of a shit vibe, full of bumbags, vests and a faint whiff of aggro. Not a bad place to mooch around outside, but I've not enjoyed a set in there properly in the years it's been a fixture.

2 minutes ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

I have a feeling that Block 9 is going to be right up your street this year. The bias over the past few festivals has been towards tech and deep house which were popular at that time but there's been a resurgence in techno towards the mainstream in the past couple years and I reckon the festival have identified that, hence the expansion of that area. We might not get the predominant names but I'm pretty sure we'll get those on the cusp of breaking through and most importantly, the music they play

I think you're right. The sheer number of events that are techno-focused or exclusive seems to have gone a bit mental in the last few years. And I'm not worried at all about the high profile DJs, many of whom are at Awakenings as we know. I'm enough of a music snob to prefer to have to research the lesser known artists and find the diamonds. I am excited about about Max Cooper, mind. Saw him at Latitude in 2017 and he was absolutely amazing. His AV show is a thing of techno-IDM beauty, more ethereal connecting tracks linking absolute full on Hopkins-esque bangers!

Ben

Just now, Matt - Ed Banger Records said:

Not just you, I've always found it to be a bit of a shit vibe, full of bumbags, vests and a faint whiff of aggro. Not a bad place to mooch around outside, but I've not enjoyed a set in there properly in the years it's been a fixture.

That makes me feel less of an arsehole. I didn't want to come across as a tw*t, but yeah, a lot of the people in there seem just w*nkered in the middle of the day, and not in a good way. And they seem to be there all day...!

Ben

Definitely a strange vibe, especially around the outskirts. If there's someone i want to see though I'll just get down the front and there's no problems. Hopeful they pull something like &ME and Rampa in there this year, that would see me squeezing my way right down the front 

8 minutes ago, bennyhana22 said:

Yes, but (forgive me) the sound is a bit shit! And (for me), there's a slightly weird vibe in there too...

Is that just me?

Ben

Sound is shite no denying that only any good near the front.

I’m also guilty of spending hours on ends in there coz it’s got a bar and tunes. Happy to spend hours dancing away getting wrecked during the day even with my bumbag! Only for the good DJ’s though. 

2 minutes ago, FuzzyDunlop said:

Hoping Arcadia pull some techno out of the bag.

It would be nice to have a whole night at the Spider-Not-Spider, wouldn't it?

Friday 2015 was such a good night and there's been nothing like that since. Just a token set here and there (even if Jopkins was spectacular).

Yeah, I'd love a 0000-0300h at Arcadia before hitting up the SEC for the last three hours...

Ben

25 minutes ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

I have a feeling that Block 9 is going to be right up your street this year. The bias over the past few festivals has been towards tech and deep house which were popular at that time but there's been a resurgence in techno towards the mainstream in the past couple years and I reckon the festival have identified that, hence the expansion of that area. We might not get the predominant names but I'm pretty sure we'll get those on the cusp of breaking through and most importantly, the music they play

Don't do that to me. Techno is the one thing I think is missing and I need a good evening of it. 

43 minutes ago, Tommy Dickfingers said:

Sound is shite no denying that only any good near the front.

I’m also guilty of spending hours on ends in there coz it’s got a bar and tunes. Happy to spend hours dancing away getting wrecked during the day even with my bumbag! Only for the good DJ’s though. 

Yeah u need to move past the crush in the middle/outskirts, get up the front and there's actually plenty of room. Have caught a few good sets in there. 

3 hours ago, bennyhana22 said:

I think you're right. The sheer number of events that are techno-focused or exclusive seems to have gone a bit mental in the last few years. And I'm not worried at all about the high profile DJs, many of whom are at Awakenings as we know. I'm enough of a music snob to prefer to have to research the lesser known artists and find the diamonds. I am excited about about Max Cooper, mind. Saw him at Latitude in 2017 and he was absolutely amazing. His AV show is a thing of techno-IDM beauty, more ethereal connecting tracks linking absolute full on Hopkins-esque bangers!

Ben

And I'm lazy but interested enough to ask you closer to the time who the diamonds are gonna be...

4 hours ago, danbailey80 said:

Zinc with Eats Everything is interesting. I wouldnt put them together. Could be awesome. 

Way back in the day, before he became Eats Everything, he used to DJ in Bristol as Dan Pearce and do breakbeat sets as Beatpig. I saw him do a breaks set at a relatively small club in Bristol  in Feb too. So I'm guessing that it'll be a back-to-back breaks set.

2 minutes ago, Matt - Ed Banger Records said:

Hasn’t he done tons of different sets before at Glasto? Recall him doing hardcore, breaks, acid house sets in the past too, and Zinc has done all sorts of stuff over the years. 

Yeah, remember he did a B2B with Ellis Dee last time! And I walked past him on one of the Glade stages on the Friday night doing a B2B with a special guest (you've guessed it) Fatboy Slim.