Electronica/Dance

bennyhana22

39 minutes ago, Billy Corgan's Ego said:

My friend knows one if the DJs on the bill so on the guestlist. 

Was suicide circus easy to get into? Looking for options on the Friday night too

Yeah, had no problems twice. The security staff did test us on our knowledge of the place and who was playing but that's typical for Berlin. Luckily we knew who was on that night and we had no problems. The added bonus of SC is it's location in the best part of town (imo), Friedrichshain, particularly the RAW Gelände area (an old disused railway yard). I always describe it as a cross between Shangri-la and Mad Max. I'm a sucker for street art and being vegan there's plenty of great places to eat. That might not particularly be your thing but it's well worth a visit, even if you don't go to SC. 

I always wanted to get into Berghain to see what the fuss was about but after 3 attempts years ago I can no longer be assed to waste time in the best city in Europe so I won't bother again. I'm happy to live with not getting in and hearing stories from those who have. Hope you do, look forward to hearing all about it. 

11 hours ago, Billy Corgan's Ego said:

Sorry to hijack the thread (please feel free to delete this post if not appropriate), but has anyone been to Berghain in Berlin before? 

Have opportunity of going next weekend and would like fellow tech-heads opinions first?

6 minutes ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

Yeah, had no problems twice. The security staff did test us on our knowledge of the place and who was playing but that's typical for Berlin. Luckily we knew who was on that night and we had no problems. The added bonus of SC is it's location in the best part of town (imo), Friedrichshain, particularly the RAW Gelände area (an old disused railway yard). I always describe it as a cross between Shangri-la and Mad Max. I'm a sucker for street art and being vegan there's plenty of great places to eat. That might not particularly be your thing but it's well worth a visit, even if you don't go to SC. 

I always wanted to get into Berghain to see what the fuss was about but after 3 attempts years ago I can no longer be assed to waste time in the best city in Europe so I won't bother again. I'm happy to live with not getting in and hearing stories from those who have. Hope you do, look forward to hearing all about it. 

Any other tips for the Friedrichshain area? Ive been told Sisyphos is another decent venue? Im also heading there next weekend and staying in the Friedrichshain / Kreuzberg area so thought id jump in on this!

Appreciate im in an electronic / dance thread but any suggestions or recommendations in general would be appreciated 

4 minutes ago, TheFullShaboo said:

Any other tips for the Friedrichshain area? Ive been told Sisyphos is another decent venue? Im also heading there next weekend and staying in the Friedrichshain / Kreuzberg area so thought id jump in on this!

Appreciate im in an electronic / dance thread but any suggestions or recommendations in general would be appreciated 

If you're in Kreuzberg check out SO36, the old punk club, they always have some good events on in there. That whole street, Oranienstrasse has some cool bars. Principal is an old speakeasy with burlesque dancers on swings, etc. There's an edge to the whole Heinrichplatz area tbh, go explore, see what you find. The last time I was in that street, it got "interesting", to say the least, but that's another story... 

Another good venue in Friedrichshain is Musik und Frieden, which is on the other side of the river from RAW Gelände. Loads of bars around there, too.

In terms of techno clubs, I've only been to Suicide Circus. I'm sure there are other in the thread who can help.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

If you're in Kreuzberg check out SO36, the old punk club, they always have some good events on in there. That whole street, Oranienstrasse has some cool bars. Principal is an old speakeasy with burlesque dancers on swings, etc. There's an edge to the whole Heinrichplatz area tbh, go explore, see what you find. The last time I was in that street, it got "interesting", to say the least, but that's another story... 

Another good venue in Friedrichshain is Musik und Frieden, which is on the other side of the river from RAW Gelände. Loads of bars around there, too.

In terms of techno clubs, I've only been to Suicide Circus. I'm sure there are other in the thread who can help.

SO36 sounds like the type of thing we're after, especially for one individually i'm going with. Seems like we're staying in the right area from what ive read, and as you've said i'm sure we will come across some interesting places from just walking about. 

Thanks for the detailed response, its much appreciated.

2 hours ago, Ddiamondd said:

Lived there in 2018/2019, and you've picked a really great time: CTM Festival is on. This means tons and tons of cutting-edge DJs in town, the heavier/weirder shade of electronic and experimental, and generally a great buzz about the place. I'd check out the day-to-day breakdowns and see what's going on venue by venue. Festival passes are probably sold out, but individual tickets should be available in batches.

The winner is that Berghain/Pbar relaxes its restrictions during this period. Not for Klubnacht and certainly not for Snax, but a CTM event hosted at B/Pb will not have the usual door policy. Ticket holders can get in without the rigorous humiliation.

I got a very unassuming mate into the place last year, figured he'd never have a better chance. He doesn't even drink. We had a great time watching TSVI, Lightning Bolt, Saoirse and Gabber Modus Operandi boot off and I knew it was a bucket list ticked for someone who wouldn't bother for fear of rejection ordinarily.

@Billy Corgan's Ego that applies to you as well. This fortnight is an open-season for getting into the big house when it's near-impossible as a Brit otherwise. Good luck!

What would you say is the usual door policy? I've a friend living there and have visited a few times but we've never even bothered trying to get in.

2 hours ago, Ddiamondd said:

Lived there in 2018/2019, and you've picked a really great time: CTM Festival is on. This means tons and tons of cutting-edge DJs in town, the heavier/weirder shade of electronic and experimental, and generally a great buzz about the place. I'd check out the day-to-day breakdowns and see what's going on venue by venue. Festival passes are probably sold out, but individual tickets should be available in batches.

The winner is that Berghain/Pbar relaxes its restrictions during this period. Not for Klubnacht and certainly not for Snax, but a CTM event hosted at B/Pb will not have the usual door policy. Ticket holders can get in without the rigorous humiliation.

I got a very unassuming mate into the place last year, figured he'd never have a better chance. He doesn't even drink. We had a great time watching TSVI, Lightning Bolt, Saoirse and Gabber Modus Operandi boot off and I knew it was a bucket list ticked for someone who wouldn't bother for fear of rejection ordinarily.

@Billy Corgan's Ego that applies to you as well. This fortnight is an open-season for getting into the big house when it's near-impossible as a Brit otherwise. Good luck!

Ahh brilliant, had no idea such a thing was on this weekend. 

Just checked out and the only event on at Berghain this weekend is Friday night which is tickets on the door only, which i assume means the usual draconic door policy will be in action?

Will have a look through the programme and see if theres anything else that catches my eye! Hoping as you said though that theres just a general festival-style buzz about the area.

Thanks for the heads up (out of upvotes for the day, will return with one when they do)

Out of interest, have you been Griessmuehle before? Just check out whats on Saturday and that seems to be the venue hosting the night

Edited by TheFullShaboo
Question

I had the most painless rejection from Berghain. Me and my mate who’s been a lot walked up no queue on Sunday morning and was told “sorry you can’t come in”. My mate said he there to see xyz and he just said the same thing again. Fair enough. 

I’ve got some friends in Berlin when I go over we usually go Griessmuehle as you can sometimes buy tickets just makes it a bit easier, there’s a separate queue also. Last time I went someone had a shite by the silos in the garden which I smelt before I saw hahaha so be careful around there!

11 hours ago, Ddiamondd said:

Saw this happen on my first time in. A group of British girls, couldn't have been more than 18 or 19, were on the U-Bahn for the early shift. So this is ~8am on a Sunday morning, they've got the Bergies look down: black lipgloss, chokers, box-fresh Doc Martins – were drinking a bottle of red on the way too, really gee'd up for it. 

Me and my mate decided to slow our pace on the long walk up as we thought we'd be guilty by association. Just as we got to the corner of it, all three trudged back past us and toward the station, crestfallen. It was a straight no and done. Brutal.

I don't know why I feel so indignant at the myriad Berghain Entry Stories!

But it really makes my blood boil. Yes, I get that they have a very clear idea of the sort of vibe they'd like in their club. I have no issue with that as a general philosophy. But I get really cross at the sheer concept of having to feel honoured and/or blessed to be allowed to give them your hard-earned money to keep their business model alive! Yes, you could argue that their not allowing me in makes no difference to their business model, as there is more demand than supply, but it just smacks of self-important elitism to me, and almost the exact antithesis of the inclusivity that makes a truly magical clubbing experience.

On that basis, I really don't want to go to a club like that**

Ben

**Just for clarity, I'd really like to go to Berghain, but there's no way they'd let me in :)

• Upvote 2

Ive been in twice and rejected once. Its pot luck. The friday nights might be easier as its ‘just’ pbar and you can clearly be going for a particular act or label night. I think the sat and sun are more elusive as you have a combo of regulars with lots of chancers trying. 

The time i was rejected was quick and painless, its just no and move on. Theres plenty of other nights to go at.

an alternative that is super fun if youre in a group is monster ronsons karaoke. Id never really do it in the UK but its a fun welcoming place with good & cheap drinks and near the S bahn.

a good small club is Paloma at kotti. Theres often something interesting going on there its cheap and slightly off the main tourist trail not necessarily in location but its not one of the big all star berlin venues like watergate or tresor so flies under the radar.

i quite enjoy the housier side of things so there can be some good stuff at prince charles

Edited by Memory Man

3 hours ago, Memory Man said:

The time i was rejected was quick and painless, its just no and move on. Theres plenty of other nights to go at.

Same. Simple and polite. Drei X Nein. 

The first two were over a couple months, the third was a year or so later, more for a laugh than anything as I was with different people. After reading the various tips online, I wore so much black the first time I would've got kicked out of a Sisters of Mercy gig for being too goth. 

I'd be interested to know if anyone's been and found it to be "meh".

God the Berghain rejection still haunts me to this day. Queued for three hours for the bouncer to just shake his head at me. Managed to get into Tresor though and saw Magic Mountain High who were unbelievable, so all was not lost! 

I'm going back to Berlin in a few weeks so I'll take some of these bar/club suggestions on board. I can feel myself being lured back towards the Berghain but I don't think I can handle the inevitable rejection

Hi guys

We're first time visitors to Edinburgh this weekend and was looking for a club on Friday or Saturday.   I've checked RA and nothing on the listings is jumping out apart from T78 which is sold out.

Can anyone recommend any good spaces likely to have some techno?

Cheers!

1 minute ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

Awakenings lineup announced at 7pm (UK) tonight, so I'll guess we'll find out who probably won't be on the farm over that weekend.

I'm particularly interested as it's one of two potential Glastonbury alternatives for me.

What's the other? and if you need help in the resale give me a shout 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Mezhyp1 said:

What's the other? and if you need help in the resale give me a shout 

That's really kind of you but I think I'm gonna give the big one a miss this year. I was pretty pragmatic about not getting a ticket in October, it felt like it wasn't meant to be and I made my peace with it straight away. 

I like to do at least one European electronic festival by myself each year and I think Awakenings and Tomorrowland have my name on in 2020. My other alternative is a day ticket for the Saturday of Lollapalooza Stockholm. I'll see how tonight plays out.

Thanks again!