Electronica/Dance

bennyhana22

1 minute ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

That's really kind of you but I think I'm gonna give the big one a miss this year. I was pretty pragmatic about not getting a ticket in October, it felt like it wasn't meant to be and I made my peace with it straight away. 

I like to do at least one European electronic festival by myself each year and I think Awakenings and Tomorrowland have my name on in 2020. My other alternative is a day ticket for the Saturday of Lollapalooza Stockholm. I'll see how tonight plays out.

Thanks again!

You did say that you'd decided against, SC. Is that a defo?

Just want to know as I'm in the process of committing what help I can give to another forum member, but if a distinguished thread member was needing help....well...etc etc.

Ben

• Like 1

1 minute ago, bennyhana22 said:

You did say that you'd decided against, SC. Is that a defo?

Just want to know as I'm in the process of committing what help I can give to another forum member, but if a distinguished thread member was needing help....well...etc etc.

Ben

Gahh, you lot are too nice! I feel like Michael Corleone. "Just when I thought I was out, they pull me back in!"

That's super kind of you too, Ben. I really appreciate it. I'll see how I feel at 7:05pm tonight then make a final decision 😂

17 minutes ago, bennyhana22 said:

When it says 'Jungle dj', do they mean Jungle the horrific modern soul collective?!

I bloody hate them. They're awful as a band. I would imagine that a DJ set by them would be my idea of hell-on-a-dancefloor!

:)

Ben

Have you ever seen this? 

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2006/jul/15/familyandrelationships.family2

Two of the Jungle lads there being little w*nkers. 

24 minutes ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

Gahh, you lot are too nice! I feel like Michael Corleone. "Just when I thought I was out, they pull me back in!"

That's super kind of you too, Ben. I really appreciate it. I'll see how I feel at 7:05pm tonight then make a final decision 😂

No worries. As said, you’d have many on here piling in for you, I’m sure. 

Tomorrowland. Now, there’s a thing. Anyone been before? What are the crowds like? It’s certainly visually hugely impressive. Only main thing that slightly turns me off is that it’s essentially two events at different times. Hopeless romantic as I am, the whole community, shared experience, lock the world outside thing is a massive part of Glastonbury/festivals for me. Knowing that the whole thing is happening next weekend as well is a bit...weird!

Ben

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

That's really kind of you but I think I'm gonna give the big one a miss this year. I was pretty pragmatic about not getting a ticket in October, it felt like it wasn't meant to be and I made my peace with it straight away. 

I like to do at least one European electronic festival by myself each year and I think Awakenings and Tomorrowland have my name on in 2020. My other alternative is a day ticket for the Saturday of Lollapalooza Stockholm. I'll see how tonight plays out.

Thanks again!

id also love to see you there ... after such kind words after the main sale .... unable to provide f5 help but would will you to get those tickets 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, bennyhana22 said:

Annoyed I missed Spektre on the Farm last year. Hoping they get booked again this year, this time somewhere dark and dingy at night. 

Ben

In fairness, you didn't miss much. It was pretty empty. Terrible timeslot, ridiculous temperature in that tent. So much better suited somewhere in the naughty corner...at flipping night!

Edit: IICON would be immense. 

Edited by Supernintendo Chalmers

1 hour ago, bennyhana22 said:

No worries. As said, you’d have many on here piling in for you, I’m sure. 

Tomorrowland. Now, there’s a thing. Anyone been before? What are the crowds like? It’s certainly visually hugely impressive. Only main thing that slightly turns me off is that it’s essentially two events at different times. Hopeless romantic as I am, the whole community, shared experience, lock the world outside thing is a massive part of Glastonbury/festivals for me. Knowing that the whole thing is happening next weekend as well is a bit...weird!

Ben

Thanks, Ben. Legend. 

I've always been intrigued by Tomorrowland. Not so much the main stage fare but that sense of community that I only find in dance music and metal crowds. The spectacle of it all appeals too. Plus the lineup is always varied, every genre catered for.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

Pick the bones out of this lot 

Screenshot_20200122-183332.png

Nice amount of bones! 

I really want to go to Awakenings but not at the expense of Glasto so I’ll aim for 2023/2024 whatever it is 😂

Would love to see Nobu, Villalobos, Rubinstein and Helena Hauff at Glastonbury. Seem like bookings they would make but probably can’t afford? I dunno. Over my head. I’d say there’s a lot of people on there who I’d probably like but haven’t listened to either. 

The likes of Kevin Saunderson, Jeff Mills, Robert Hood, Derrick May and people of that ilk are they big enough names to spunk your budget on if you’re a booker for an area at Glastonbury? 

Surgeon is releasing some tunes on illan tape which my friend has gotten extremely excited about. 

Oof.

That's just naughty.

Would so love to see Ellen Allien, Amelie, Anna, Nobu, Helena Hauff, Planetary AS, Hawtin, DVS1, Surgeon, Jeff Mills...so many. Gah!

With DVS1 on the Sunday only, I am going full gas for him on the Farm. Seriously, his Dimensions set was another level. I wasn't seeing it in the perfect environment all 'round, but his skill in building a set and leading you on a journey was breathtaking. None of this dropping a banger, fading out to 4/4 and then matching in another. The whole thing was seamless, subtle, intelligent and utterly majestic.

Of that line-up I'd choose him as the one to see at Glastonbury (though it won't happen :( ). IICON is amazing, but DVS1 on my beloved Genosys is this year's (unrequited) dream...

Ben

What's it like? I'm sat here wondering whether to take the plunge...

It was a 1 day festival when I went. Seemingly, its the same, but over 2 days.  

Production wise it is top. A wide variety of Techno all day. It closes at 11 at night though. Which is odd. Massive stages and they can only be shown off for an hour.

Its in a park, 15 mins or so from Amsterdam. 

The tents are all like the steelyard (if you have been to that).

Its not a massive park, but I liked it. 

A good crowd. Just there for the techno. It's done right.

Edited by FuzzyDunlop

On 1/16/2020 at 11:31 AM, gordong said:

Why do you hate XOYO? I really enjoy it, think the downstairs room is the perfect size and the soundsystem is really good. 

Late reply but my thoughts dont seem to match the rest of XOYO complaints on here so decided to add them here.

XOYO is laid out horribly. The venue has a decent capacity size, but due to the nature of the place, everyone wants to be downstairs. That's usually where the main line up is and what sells tickets go there. Unfortunately, the venue can technically hold more people, if they stayed upstairs, which most people are not interested in, which results in too many people downstairs and not enough upstairs. It's awful for everyone involved. 

XOYO can't let less people in because they are all downstairs but you also can't expect half to be upstairs when what everyone has come to see is downstairs. It's just unfortunate.

Add to that one of the worst cloakrooms in London and a location that attracts walk ins to pop by, usually very inebriated and not the most electronic-music-club-friendly. Seen all sorts in there that just ended up inside due to Google saying that it was near where they were at 2am and is open. 

So yeah, it's uncomfortable in there for me and I think everyone I have spoken to has a similar experience.

4 hours ago, Acid Loafers said:

Late reply but my thoughts dont seem to match the rest of XOYO complaints on here so decided to add them here.

XOYO is laid out horribly. The venue has a decent capacity size, but due to the nature of the place, everyone wants to be downstairs. That's usually where the main line up is and what sells tickets go there. Unfortunately, the venue can technically hold more people, if they stayed upstairs, which most people are not interested in, which results in too many people downstairs and not enough upstairs. It's awful for everyone involved. 

XOYO can't let less people in because they are all downstairs but you also can't expect half to be upstairs when what everyone has come to see is downstairs. It's just unfortunate.

Add to that one of the worst cloakrooms in London and a location that attracts walk ins to pop by, usually very inebriated and not the most electronic-music-club-friendly. Seen all sorts in there that just ended up inside due to Google saying that it was near where they were at 2am and is open. 

So yeah, it's uncomfortable in there for me and I think everyone I have spoken to has a similar experience.

I think I’ve just got so lucky on the nights I’ve went then, in that it wasn’t too warm or sold out and I didn’t use the cloakroom. Went twice last year for Folamour & Chaos in the CBD,  and LNTG’s residency - both nights I think the crowd was pretty decent and getting around was easy. Fair play though, all valid complaints. 

Edited by gordong