Noel Gallagher

Mud Dweller

I just found it a bit silly of the poster I quoted to say Noel Gallagher is the not in the same league as Andy Weatherall.

Whether you like Noels work or not (A lot on here do not seem to like him), Definitely Maybe and Whats The Story Morning Glory are widely regarded as being two of the greatest British albums ever made.

Now Weatherall has never come up with anything remotely as good as those two albums. Yes his production and remixes are very good. But the same can be said of people like Flood or Tim Simenon. Then you have someone like Alan Wilder who was not only ground breaking in the studio but are also a virtuoso on a number of instruments.

'Kinnell man, you take all this very seriously, what with your links to charts and obscure name dropping.

Maybe you're into trying to bring some kind of objectivity into music? I'm not. And although being of a similar age to yourself, and having seen Oasis twice 'back in the day' (though at the academy and the arena, nothing as ostentatious as a stadium ;)), i can say with surety that Weatherall had brought me more, much more pleasure than the brothers Gallagher.And that's all that matters to me.

So silly it may seem, but to me Weatherall is a genius, and Noels G isn't in his league.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Wonderstuff's best of album is a thing of absolute joy. In fact I'm going to go and put it on now.

Ah yes. I'm familiar with the collected singles compilation of these workmanlike semi-grebo midlands minstrels.

What was the name of their anthology of most cherished material, again?

Now what was it?

Tip of my tongue.

Ah yes - got it.

If The Beatles Had Read Hunter...

Hang on.....

Wot?

?????

?

???????????????????????????????

If

The

Beatles

Had

Read

Hunter...

Beatles

Hunter...

Beatles

HUNTER

wtf?

Oasis = rubbish, but the Wonderstuff are good. Some people spout some utter rubbish on here. Wonderstuff are the poor mans Cast...

:lol:

I think you missed the point. The wonderstuff were great when you were young, free and having fun. But it's aged terribly.

Much the same as oasis, which was the whole point!

Woah there!!!!!

There can be no such thing as the poor man's cast. Cast are as poor as they come.

I always hated Cast. Then I unexpectedly saw The Las play Other and at seeing John Power's mug after all that time, I quite fancied hearing Sandstorm or Walk Away. If you'd have told the 1997 me that I'd see The Las play in 8 years time and I'd want to hear some Cast, I'd have punched you in the face*

*I'd actually have simply disagreed with you, I was a pacifist, even back then.

I always hated Cast. Then I unexpectedly saw The Las play Other and at seeing John Power's mug after all that time, I quite fancied hearing Sandstorm or Walk Away. If you'd have told the 1997 me that I'd see The Las play in 8 years time and I'd want to hear some Cast, I'd have punched you in the face*

*I'd actually have simply disagreed with you, I was a pacifist, even back then.

ooh good, any mention of Cast on these pages means i can roll out my Glastonbury/Cast anecdote.

so, 1998, it was very wet, and a white suited John Power and his band of scouse minstrels were on the pyramid mid afternoon to chear everybody up like only they could.

and of course, the grateful crowd responded by throwing mud at the fuckers, non of which was hitting the curly haired balloon in white.

"at least i can write songs, non of youse can throw mud", he taunted. except someone could throw mud. they could throw it perfectly. as the very word "mud" left his lips, a bomb of beautiful brown smacked him straight in the swingers.

in my imagination, all the crowd then left the field. there was no more fun to be had.

• 1 month later...

If he headlines V then I'd imagine he'll headline T as well, as I'm pretty certain he'll play both. Not sure he'd headline 3 UK festivals but at the same time I think he'll play Glastonbury given how much he's talked about it.

I think if he's headlining V (and T) then he's headliner or nothing at Glastonbury. Just deciding between 'headliner' or 'nothing' is the thing. I can't see him headlining the same year as Florence as one of the acts (the other act to Foos/Flo) has been around for a "long time" so maybe if Florence in fact isn't headlining and was nothing more than a rumour. Just hypothetical though at the moment.