geeky techie chat about the ticket sale

Swine_Glasto2014

From somewhere that has a "no debit cards from abroad" policy like Glastonbury?

I doubt their systems validate card types as they let many UK-based people book coach+ticket packages on credit card on Wednesday.

Edited by MoilyX

• Replies 739
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

in the october sale for the 2013 festival, a friend in denmark had her card refused because it was a debit card (she thought it was both). we got her a ticket by piggybacking her on another order with another card.

so yes, refusals of a foreign debit card happen. why, how, or how often - no idea.

That's exactly what happened when loads of us were trying for HMV's tickets - we entered the reg numbers, only to be booted back to the twitter feed.

Hmm :/ That's what happened in the 2013 sale, enter all the reg details, click submit, then got put into a queue. I submitted details about 11 times but never got to the 'buy' page where you enter the card details. That seemed to be fixed last year, so when you clicked submit you then got the 'buy' page instantaneously. I bought 2 lots of tickets (one laptop, one phone) with no issues.

S'pose it could have been a temporary issue on Wed, as didn't see loads of people moaning about the system, like I did for the 2013 sale.

What did you do when you got booted out?

Hmm :/ That's what happened in the 2013 sale, enter all the reg details, click submit, then got put into a queue. I submitted details about 11 times but never got to the 'buy' page where you enter the card details. That seemed to be fixed last year, so when you clicked submit you then got the 'buy' page instantaneously. I bought 2 lots of tickets (one laptop, one phone) with no issues.

S'pose it could have been a temporary issue on Wed, as didn't see loads of people moaning about the system, like I did for the 2013 sale.

What did you do when you got booted out?

I hit back and tried again. Didn't do anything though. One group and one only (as far as I know) got through to the buy page with those reg numbers.

They were then told the tickets were sold out, but got them 10 minutes later, but that's another story!

Edited by stuartbert two hats

For those wondering about the link which some people still have up on their machines, it was http://glastonbury.seetickets.com/event/glastonbury-2015-ticket-coach-travel-deposits/worthy-farm-pilton-somerset/850005. As pointed out already it's no longer active, and seems to have been just for the coach tickets anyway.

It wasn't up for long - Mashy posted it at about 18:35 in the T Day thread, and it wasn't long after that people were posting that it was dead.

FWIW, I had the addregistrations page and the coach booking page which followed it up in different browsers. Both pages were dumping me straight back to the holding page. Although some people got through using these pages, I and a few others didn't. I suspect it was just luck of the draw and perhaps those that were successful would have done anyway. The sole benefit is that you will save the time it takes to add your registrations, which really should only make a difference if you're into the final seconds of the sale (unless it's likely to take you over 10 minutes to enter all your details).

Edit: I forgot to mention this gem from the Ticket FAQ:

Please don’t continue to refresh the page beyond 10 minutes after entering your details as your access to the page will have expired. You will need to close the browser and start again to gain fresh access to the booking page.

This suggests that having a page up and ready to go for over 10 minutes might be counter-productive, although perhaps you might have to have entered 'proceed' for your session to kick in. In any case I closed one of the browsers and started from the official link, leaving the other to auto refresh.

Edited by musky

Just says information on times for tickets

It does now, but that was the registration page for the sale for cyclists on Mon/Tues. It's the same deal as the registration page that was briefly available before the coach sale on Wednesday. Some people have kept the page up in a browser in the hope it will be of benefit this Sunday.

It does now, but that was the registration page for the sale for cyclists on Mon/Tues. It's the same deal as the registration page that was briefly available before the coach sale on Wednesday. Some people have kept the page up in a browser in the hope it will be of benefit this Sunday.

Yup.. I've got http://glastonbury.seetickets.com/events/addregistration from Wednesday with all my details in it. Hoping it'll help come 9 am Sunday :)

Edited by Keva

I'm camping. 3G ain't gonna cut the mustard is it? Let's hope the rest of my team are paying attention to this thread!

I bought my 2011 ticket on an iPhone over 3G, all the talk of faster internet is a bit of a red herring, the system is limited at see tickets end all a faster connection will do is enable you to hit F5 slightly more often.

I bought my 2011 ticket on an iPhone over 3G, all the talk of faster internet is a bit of a red herring, the system is limited at see tickets end all a faster connection will do is enable you to hit F5 slightly more often.

We were away from home last year in a hotel. I got our tickets on my iPhone over 3G. Lost phone signal in between booking and payment pages, but phone signal came back left me with a blank page but going back and resubmitting somehow worked , but was very scary and I wasn't 100% sure it had really worked until the money left my bank account which wasn't until Tuesday,

I got in on my phone , about 2 mins before my wife and son got in on Laptop and iPad over hotels wifi, so you never know. Smartphone may well work for you.

Just a thought... I have my DNS settings on my router changed to allow me to unlock all the Netflix libraries around the world (Unblock-US.com).

Will this hinder my chances?

I've noticed it doesn't allow me to load up my TuneIn Radio app since I changed them, just hoping it won't have an affect on Sunday?

It's not a big deal as I can just change them back to normal on Saturday then switch back when (not if!!) I get tickets

nah, dns only resolves the hostname (ie. www.google.com) to the ip address (ie. 74.125.230.147). in your case this is a smart dns proxy, which tricks the site you're getting to to think you're in the same country as it is... but seetickets don't care about what country you're in, so you can leave it as is. also, your internet connection is still used for routing the traffic locally rather than via the dns proxy (it isn't a real proxy or vpn), so you won't have a disadvantage latency wise either.

Edited by majormajormajor

The current system (last years at least) is probably the fairest that I have experienced in the all the years of getting tix on line. Even though See have on occasion delivered a system for ticket day that has had a glaring design flaw that unbalances the fairness of the exercise, in recent years they have closed pretty much every short cut in the queue and so now its down to something like a 1 in 4 chance for everyone trying to get in.

Well nearly. As a system it still favours groups of six, with all six people trying for everyone else. Smaller and larger groups are disadvantaged. But it's about as fair as can be now.

I have some hosting experience. Do not under estimate what 200,000+ people hitting F5 can do to a website. That kind of traffic could take down firewalls and load balancers let alone a web server. It is effectively a major ddos attack.

Remember in the past the phone sales line having problems reaching their exchange.

Edited by I am Jon