geeky techie chat about the ticket sale

Swine_Glasto2014

• Replies 739
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't understand your point about my home broadband connection. The only thing going through that are the VNC connections. I've done a couple of tests and it seems to cope.

the VM connections *AND* the data you're seeing in your browser tabs - so all of the same data that would go down your "(crappy) home broadband connection", PLUS some extra for the VM connections.

You're not decreasing the load on your broadband, you're increasing it.

the VM connections *AND* the data you're seeing in your browser tabs - so all of the same data that would go down your "(crappy) home broadband connection", PLUS some extra for the VM connections.

You're not decreasing the load on your broadband, you're increasing it.

Shhh, don't tell him

It gives a dedicated public ipv4 address for each one you create

Very generous of them to give out or map IPv4 public IP's for each VM! What with the shortage of these I'd expect them to give out only IPv6 ones. Still, yeah that might help if you have a number of unique public IP's on the go, in much the same way as having a number of people on different broadband networks all trying for the same pool of tickets.

Very generous of them to give out or map IPv4 public IP's for each VM!

IPv4 addresses are still very cheap to acquire for the big boys, and for someone running a VM set-up like that where they 'rent' the addresses out (not necessarily dedicated to just one VM, don't forget) for short periods of time it's quite possibly a big earner for them.

I'm paying less than £1 a year for each of the many dedicated IPv4 addresses I have at my disposal.

how do you know? ;)

It might make a different, it might make none at all.

Standard thinking of the technicalities combined with the purpose (selling stuff) suggests that there shouldn't be any reason to give any preference either way.

it's like getting out of glasto car park, where you don't know the road is, if you have multiple cars in the same field - getting out is good(ie lots of tabs), but multiple cars in multiple fields is better (lots of tabs with various ISPs)

I agree with you in the end - it's still the luck of the draw

>You're not decreasing the load on your broadband, you're increasing it.

I seriously doubt your home broadband internet connection is the bottle neck, a vpn+vlc/rdp connection takes at approx 20k bytes/sec

Edited by wweerr208

>You're not decreasing the load on your broadband, you're increasing it.

I seriously doubt your home broadband internet connection is the bottle neck, a vpn+vlc/rdp connection takes at approx 20k bytes/sec

those words were in response to someone else, who was suggesting that he was getting around any problems with his home broadband by going via a VM.

It increases the load on that connection, even if the increase is pretty small - tho actually, it'll be far greater than you think, because all of the webpage data will be encrypted when it wouldn't otherwise be.

those words were in response to someone else, who was suggesting that he was getting around any problems with his home broadband by going via a VM.

It increases the load on that connection, even if the increase is pretty small - tho actually, it'll be far greater than you think, because all of the webpage data will be encrypted when it wouldn't otherwise be.

I'm using VNC to access the virtual machines though, so the only data going over my home connection is the screen image and keyboard+mouse activity.

Just a thought... I have my DNS settings on my router changed to allow me to unlock all the Netflix libraries around the world (Unblock-US.com).

Will this hinder my chances?

I've noticed it doesn't allow me to load up my TuneIn Radio app since I changed them, just hoping it won't have an affect on Sunday?

It's not a big deal as I can just change them back to normal on Saturday then switch back when (not if!!) I get tickets

Change them back. It'll probably be fine, but they may be restricting the ability to use a debit card based on whether you're from the UK. I don't think that would happen - it's far more likely to be based on your address - but do you want to take the chance?

Has anyone ever bought tickets with their UK card when abroad at the time of the sale?

Question: is it possible to hit the reg input page, press proceed, then be met by the queue page again?

I note the official blurb only guarantees you 10 minutes access to the booking page but doesn't mention the reg input page at all.

So are you safe when you get the reg input? Or is it still a gamble when until you reach the payment details?

Question: is it possible to hit the reg input page, press proceed, then be met by the queue page again?

I note the official blurb only guarantees you 10 minutes access to the booking page but doesn't mention the reg input page at all.

So are you safe when you get the reg input? Or is it still a gamble when until you reach the payment details?

That's exactly what happened when loads of us were trying for HMV's tickets - we entered the reg numbers, only to be booted back to the twitter feed.

Change them back. It'll probably be fine, but they may be restricting the ability to use a debit card based on whether you're from the UK. I don't think that would happen - it's far more likely to be based on your address - but do you want to take the chance?

Has anyone ever bought tickets with their UK card when abroad at the time of the sale?

I use works computers which I'm pretty sure go through Swedish servers as I often can't access some pages because 'access is denied outside uk for copyright reasons' or something similar. I always use a UK debit card because that's the address on my reg.

I use works computers which I'm pretty sure go through Swedish servers as I often can't access some pages because 'access is denied outside uk for copyright reasons' or something similar. I always use a UK debit card because that's the address on my reg.

Yep i've purchase stuff with my card on the new DNS settings so i know it doesn't block my card.

IPv4 addresses are still very cheap to acquire for the big boys, and for someone running a VM set-up like that where they 'rent' the addresses out (not necessarily dedicated to just one VM, don't forget) for short periods of time it's quite possibly a big earner for them.

I'm paying less than £1 a year for each of the many dedicated IPv4 addresses I have at my disposal.

At a guess then I'd say perhaps they are getting cheaper and more available now as more are released as the conversion to IPv6 progresses.

Haha - can you imagine if they did?! Still up, wired, Monday morning, hitting F5?!!!

Reminds me of ticket sales for 2004, when I think theyh abandoned online sales and just did everything through the phones - went on for well over 24 hours and was a bloody nightmare.

you breathe that often?

Fair point, there probably should be a bout 50 x F5 between breaths.

On occasion I feel like I start holding my breath at 8.50am and don't let it out until I've seen a payment go through. And even then, not properly until the email arrives.