geeky techie chat about the ticket sale

Swine_Glasto2014

Is there any value in me using both or am i just slowing my IP address down as they are through the same broadband?

it's probably worth having one auto-refreshing the page while you press F5 manically on the other.

The more attempts you make at getting past the refreshing-holding-page, the more chance you have of getting past that refreshing-holding-page.

What gets you past that page is the simple luck of the moment your request hits the See servers - if they have a spare buying session at that precise moment, you'll get that buying session.

• Replies 739
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

it's probably worth having one auto-refreshing the page while you press F5 manically on the other.

The more attempts you make at getting past the refreshing-holding-page, the more chance you have of getting past that refreshing-holding-page.

What gets you past that page is the simple luck of the moment your request hits the See servers - if they have a spare buying session at that precise moment, you'll get that buying session.

THANKS

Roll on Sunday!

Its either celebrate with beer or drown my sorrows with beer!

Either way I get beer!

For years I've tried to follow all the good advice posted (Thank you!) but in truth come about 09:05 I'm in such an intense zone, every sensible action flies out the window and I'm a hopeless zombie just hitting F5....

I have no idea about all the techie stuff that people talk about, yet I still read it just in case I learn something. In the end though, it's just about F5!!

my tactic last year was to use 6 different IP addresses - which has the same effect as with a number of VMs.

And I failed.

It's simply down to luck, and nothing else. Multiple IP addresses doesn't increase that luck - unless you know for certain that they're giving preference to first-attempt IPs and less priority to multi-attempt one.

But that would be an anti-intelligent thing to do, because there's absolutely no point in doing that for a sales outlet that wants to sell its products.

Tho if you go to lots of effort to set something up and you're one of those who gets lucky (and lets face it, most people do get lucky), then nothing anyone says is going to convince you that it was just luck. You'll convince yourself that the efforts you put in was what made the difference.

;)

I understand it's still down to luck but i'd rather increase my chances by having x number of machines than just my single laptop on my (crappy) home broadband connection :)

I understand it's still down to luck but i'd rather increase my chances by having x number of machines than just my single laptop on my (crappy) home broadband connection :)

and yet all the traffic for those 10 machines is still going thru your "(crappy) home broadband connection". Everything you do is still dependent on the weakest point.

And how can you manage ten tabs at the same time? You could probably get more attempts via one tab and lots of F5-ing. It's the number of attempts that increases your chances.

I suspect that you're decreasing your chances and not increasing them.

Edited by eFestivals

Link??

after using said link I asked all my family to try. They all said it's dead. I can refresh. go back a page etc and it's still available. its the normal link with /addregistrations on the end ??? its on my tablet. no luck on any other links or devices. but it's deffo a 2015 page I can send a screen shot if any use to anyone.

and yet all the traffic for those 10 machines is still going thru your "(crappy) home broadband connection". Everything you do is still dependent on the weakest point.

And how can you manage ten tabs at the same time? You could probably get more attempts via one tab and lots of F5-ing. It's the number of attempts that increases your chances.

I suspect that you're decreasing your chances and not increasing them.

I get your point about managing the windows. I seemed to be OK with 10 last year using a pair of monitors.

I don't understand your point about my home broadband connection. The only thing going through that are the VNC connections. I've done a couple of tests and it seems to cope.

best of luck for Sunday anyway :)

slightly off topic but my tactic last year was to set up a load of VMs with VNC installed and just flick through each one refreshing the browser.

I used digitalocean and the connections are pretty damn fast. They have recently opened a datacenter in London too which should help. Dead cheap too

I'm having a mate help me this year so probably gonna set up 10 servers each.

If anybody is interested this is the guide I followed - https://www.digitalocean.com/community/tutorials/how-to-setup-vnc-for-ubuntu-12

Does each one of those VM's get mapped to the same public IP though, or to different public IP's along a given subnet at the gateway? If 1 IP, then its about the same as being at home on 1 PC and having n number of browsers open I reckon. I think there may be a statistical advantage in using multiple connections with different public IP's (i.e. therefore different source IP's identified by the See system), but no more than say having several people all pulling together for a group of reg numbers on different PC's on different broadband routers, each with their own public gateway IP's...

Does each one of those VM's get mapped to the same public IP though, or to different public IP's along a given subnet at the gateway? If 1 IP, then its about the same as being at home on 1 PC and having n number of browsers open I reckon. I think there may be a statistical advantage in using multiple connections with different public IP's (i.e. therefore different source IP's identified by the See system), but no more than say having several people all pulling together for a group of reg numbers on different PC's on different broadband routers, each with their own public gateway IP's...

They all have different static IP addresses.

Do you mean each VM has a static IP configured? If so, these will be reserved (internal) IP's will they not (i.e. 10.x.x.x, or 172.16.x.x or 192.168.0.x)? Unless you are using IPv6 then its unlikely anyone would provide public IP's to be used internally. Normally all internal non-routable IP's like these will be NAT'ed through a gateway device (typically a router / firewall), to either a single public IP, or a pool of public IP's (less typical). Its that single public IP that See's system will see as a single source IP for the connection.

Do you mean each VM has a static IP configured? If so, these will be reserved (internal) IP's will they not (i.e. 10.x.x.x, or 172.16.x.x or 192.168.0.x)? Unless you are using IPv6 then its unlikely anyone would provide public IP's to be used internally. Normally all internal non-routable IP's like these will be NAT'ed through a gateway device (typically a router / firewall), to either a single public IP, or a pool of public IP's (less typical). Its that single public IP that See's system will see as a single source IP for the connection.

It gives a dedicated public ipv4 address for each one you create

either way, it's a different connection than your home - the more connections from different 'ISPs' the better (including VPNs to other ISPs)

Just a thought... I have my DNS settings on my router changed to allow me to unlock all the Netflix libraries around the world (Unblock-US.com).

Will this hinder my chances?

I've noticed it doesn't allow me to load up my TuneIn Radio app since I changed them, just hoping it won't have an affect on Sunday?

It's not a big deal as I can just change them back to normal on Saturday then switch back when (not if!!) I get tickets

Panicking so much about tickets I'm still reading this when I don't really understand it

Me = Jen

You = Moss

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iDbyYGrswtg

Don't lose that black box, otherwise we're all stuffed!

Breathe...in...

Breathe... out...

1 finger and press F5, that's what it boils down to, however we geek ourselves up.

Guys - what if they lose the internet on Saturday?

What like:

"Have you seen it?"

"What"

"The internet!"

"No?"

"Where did you put it?"

"I haven't seen it I tell you"

"It must be in here somewhere!"