guypjfreak

Okay, this is probably a stupid question, but given this link is live for people who cycled in 2014 to book their tickets, what is stopping anyone else just booking now, rather than waiting until sunday?

Anyone else get the message "This registration is not eligible to buy tickets for this event."?

I know the sale hasn't started yet, but it just made me really nervous. I checked the registration in late August/early September, withouth any issues.

Anyone else get the message "This registration is not eligible to buy tickets for this event."?

I know the sale hasn't started yet, but it just made me really nervous. I checked the registration in late August/early September, withouth any issues.

Of course I tried it as well! And I'm sure many more of us will...

Got the same message, so I'm sure that's the default until they make the page live/active.

I got an email half an hour ago confirming that my registration is active, so don't fret!

On another note - anyone got what they think is a reliable phone number for tickets this year? Was rather intending to go roadband, 3G and phone all at once!

Also, probably stupid question, but I'm using a Mac so (1) any problems with safari to buy tickets? (2) would anyone recommend using a different browser on a Mac for this task? - Firefox etc?

Ben

• Upvote 1

Think it's because only certain reg's have been approved for the cycle sale :)

• Upvote 1

If we leave this page open till 9am on Sunday, is there a reason why it won't work? It's getting to this page that's usually half the battle!

I'm going to try that - fingers crossed.

The cycling registration is open until noon tomorrow.

Trying to think of a way to keep one of my laptops going from then until Sunday morning. My own one is knackered and permanently overheating, not sure if I can get away with my works one. May breach the "light personal internet usage is permitted" rule.

If we leave this page open till 9am on Sunday, is there a reason why it won't work? It's getting to this page that's usually half the battle!

Intresting idea, I'd imagine it wouldn't make to much difference as you would still need to open a session on the see server again on Sunday monring. (Once you have the session open, in theory you should get served every page you need :P)

Could shave off vital milliseconds in calling for the next page before everyone else :P (Unless it needs that page to be reg number page opened again for some reason?)

pretty certain that the load-balancing (the bit that shares connections across however many servers See have serving the sale pages...) will be configured to drop sessions after a pre-determined 'inactivity timeout'. leaving it open until Sunday and then completing it will most likely get you a 'page can't be displayed' or dump you straight back to the 'queue' page...as would an F5.

leaving it open until Sunday and then completing it will most likely get you a 'page can't be displayed' or dump you straight back to the 'queue' page...as would an F5.

That's true, but there's something we can all do now to speed things up on Wednesday/Sunday, and that's to populate each field with our registration numbers and postcodes, then press 'proceed' as if to buy. Obviously we won't be able to, but what that achieves is to tell the browser what we're going to want to put in those boxes. If you open up the page again and simply click (or press arrow down) in each field, you'll see all the details saved by the browser, meaning copy/paste is no longer necessary on that page. Now all you have to do is press tab to get into each field, then arrow down to immediately populate it. Have a practice to get your technique down, and you'll whizz through that page like lightning when the time comes.

EDIT: For clarity, this is my technique: mouse click in the first registration number box, then down arrow twice, tab to the next box, down arrow twice, tab to the next box, down arrow twice, tab... etc., until I've populated all the boxes I need to. I can enter four registration numbers in about three seconds. Then hit enter and pay.

Edited by kalifire

That's true, but there's something we can all do now to speed things up on Wednesday/Sunday, and that's to populate each field with our registration numbers and postcodes, then press 'proceed' as if to buy. Obviously we won't be able to, but what that achieves is to tell the browser what we're going to want to put in those boxes. If you open up the page again and simply click (or press arrow down) in each field, you'll see all the details saved by the browser, meaning copy/paste is no longer necessary on that page. Now all you have to do is press tab to get into each field, then arrow down to immediately populate it. Have a practice to get your technique down, and you'll whizz through that page like lightning when the time comes.

EDIT: For clarity, this is my technique: mouse click in the first registration number box, then down arrow twice, tab to the next box, down arrow twice, tab to the next box, down arrow twice, tab... etc., until I've populated all the boxes I need to. I can enter four registration numbers in about three seconds. Then hit enter and pay.

do you need autocomplete enabled to do this...?

kalifire, does this work without entering any of the details again? pj, I'd say that autocomplete is needed, but I've found (with Chrome) that I need to add the start of the info (first digit) in order to get it offered as a choice.

hmmm, I even think it may fail (ie timed out) but then allow you to click on 'back' to see your details still retained, but now allowing you to submit again. Well, I can dream...

The tactic I'm referring to isn't autocomplete - it won't automatically populate the boxes, but the browser (Firefox for me, I don't know about any others) will remember the details and when you click on each box (or tab down to it, which is quicker) it'll bring up a suggestion box, like this:

glastopopulate2_zpsb46f2b6d.jpg

When it does, you just click the arrow down to highlight it, press tab, and it'll fill that box with those details. Practice the 'down arrow twice/tab' technique and you'll fill those boxes way quicker than if you copy/paste or type the details out manually.

Edited by kalifire
  • Upvote 1