AC/DC Says Lars

Justiceforcedave

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You're not.

1) KoL v Verve in 08. Both were talked about as weird headliners. KoL as they'd only just graduated to that state, Verve becuase no-one was really that fussed they'd reformed or probably weren't even aware they'd been away as (as much as I love em), to the general public they were a one album band. KoL were on the way up, Verve were fizzling out after a last hurrah. The crowd was bigger for KoL. Those, sir, are facts.

The Verve were, and probably still are, viewed as a one album band by the general public but at least people knew who they were. In June 2008 KoL were still waiting to have an album as big. The 3 albums they'd released up to that point hadn't sold as much as The Verve's 'one album'. Those too are facts. KoL were a favourite of UK indie kids - they were not mainstream popular at that point. I have no idea of the size of the crowds as I was in the pit for both.

2) Your smart arsed "Sure..." comment? I said I never implied YOU said that, just that it had been said. Your repeating of that just implies you have no sense of context. As for the 6 out of 10 comment? No, that's not necessarily true. Some people would argue that the biggest band was on the Saturday, some would disagree. On 4 out of those 10, the bigger band was CLEARLY not on the Saturday, with relevance to the UK gig goer. Going further back the "non-pattern" is still obvious with the likes of Bowie and REM on the Friday when they were clearly the biggest act, 2002 where there was no stand out headliner at that time and so on. In fact, it was probably only 2013 where there could be no argument that the biggest band was on the Saturday. To be fair on the 4 out of ten I was thinking, you could still make an argument another band was bigger. No pattern.

You can argue who's a "bigger band" till the cows are allowed back on the farm, but this all came about because you were questioning the Sunday night slot and Eavis appeasing the locals. Who plays Friday and Saturday is down to many factors including what the bands want and what other commitments they have. As Neil said, this Sunday "pattern" has developed since the 2004 festival so anything before that is irrelevant. Since then the Sunday headliners have been - Kylie (planned), The Who, The Verve, Blur, Stevie Wonder, Beyonce, Mumford and Kasabian. Are you saying that the locals - the majority of whom probably aren't part of the regular festival going crowd or have their fingers on the pulse of new music - would have preferred to see the likes of The White Stripes, Arctic Monkeys after 2 albums, Jay-Z, Gorillaz, and Metallica?!

Taylor Swift'........I'd say the average male festival goer would struggle to name three of her songs and she's hardly going to put on an amazing live show.

So if someone doesn't appeal to the "lads" they shouldn't be in with a shout of headlining?? Don't get me wrong, if she headlines I'll be elsewhere but you only have to look on youtube (or the Taylor Swift thread!) to realise that she does put on some pretty impressive live shows.

did C&E ever get you? I once got caught in a customs check on the way to Glasto, and they were probably after you. :P

Never any problems with C&E.

We had a 36' (11m) long and 12' high converted removals lorry as in sig pic. When we converted it we raised the floor by about 3 1/2' that created a cellar that was accessed by a hidden trapdoor under a rug in the living room. Always had security search the inside when arriving at Glastonbury. Their usual reaction was "Wow, its nice in here............and you've got a RAYBURN!!!" At our naughtiest in '93 when we were in the Rainbow Circle Field, as well as smuggling in all the beer we also had 12 people, 2 dogs and one cat in the cellar. Couldn't and wouldn't do it now.

In about '98 was selling my beer from an old butcher's bike with a small front wheel and a huge basket on the front, Could carry 3 slabs in the basket and 2 on the rack on the back. Down by Yeoman's bridge was down to about 60 cans left and they were selling as fast as I could take money off people. Was dark and suddenly I was surrounded by security.They said that they were confiscating it all as I was selling it and that was forbidden. I told them that I wasn't selling it,I was giving it away. They said "no way are you" I then shouted "FREE BEER" at the top of my voice and the crowd around me instantly froze. Nobody moved. It took a few more yells before anyone believed me. Then the whole lot disappeared in about 20 seconds. Security couldn't believe it but one of them shook my hand afterwards and said he thought it was brilliant. I then pedalled back up the hill to restock. :)

We had a 36' (11m) long and 12' high converted removals lorry as in sig pic. When we converted it we raised the floor by about 3 1/2' that created a cellar that was accessed by a hidden trapdoor under a rug in the living room. Always had security search the inside when arriving at Glastonbury. Their usual reaction was "Wow, its nice in here............and you've got a RAYBURN!!!" At our naughtiest in '93 when we were in the Rainbow Circle Field, as well as smuggling in all the beer we also had 12 people, 2 dogs and one cat in the cellar. Couldn't and wouldn't do it now.

In about '98 was selling my beer from an old butcher's bike with a small front wheel and a huge basket on the front, Could carry 3 slabs in the basket and 2 on the rack on the back. Down by Yeoman's bridge was down to about 60 cans left and they were selling as fast as I could take money off people. Was dark and suddenly I was surrounded by security.They said that they were confiscating it all as I was selling it and that was forbidden. I told them that I wasn't selling it,I was giving it away. They said "no way are you" I then shouted "FREE BEER" at the top of my voice and the crowd around me instantly froze. Nobody moved. It took a few more yells before anyone believed me. Then the whole lot disappeared in about 20 seconds. Security couldn't believe it but one of them shook my hand afterwards and said he thought it was brilliant. I then pedalled back up the hill to restock. :)

:lol: fantastic stuff.

I really miss the can sellers. They provided an invaluable service.

The only thing sold now is those lousy vodka jellys (presumably that's illegal too)

That's ace, free beer, brilliant

Classic.

The beer sellers are sadly few and far between now it seems

Oh right. I thought that was mentioned in the PR when he was announced but seems not. No idea how I got to thinking that then. :P

I was at Bestival 2012 and met some people in town after who told me Elton was backstage and would be playing 2013. I posted it here a few times right after the festival and Neil didn't believe it. Whether it was true or not, it's possible that that bit of the rumour was also accepted as the truth once he was announced.

I was at Bestival 2012 and met some people in town after who told me Elton was backstage and would be playing 2013. I posted it here a few times right after the festival and Neil didn't believe it. Whether it was true or not, it's possible that that bit of the rumour was also accepted as the truth once he was announced.

http://www.efestivals.co.uk/festivals/bestival/2010/interview-robdabank.shtml

At Bestival last year you played Elton John at one point and said he'd be at Bestival this year, you weren't being serious where you?

(Laughs) We've had a very brief conversation about it that never really came to very much, but no, Elton's not attending Bestival in 2010, at least not as an artist.

The Verve were, and probably still are, viewed as a one album band by the general public but at least people knew who they were. In June 2008 KoL were still waiting to have an album as big. The 3 albums they'd released up to that point hadn't sold as much as The Verve's 'one album'. Those too are facts. KoL were a favourite of UK indie kids - they were not mainstream popular at that point. I have no idea of the size of the crowds as I was in the pit for both.

You can argue who's a "bigger band" till the cows are allowed back on the farm, but this all came about because you were questioning the Sunday night slot and Eavis appeasing the locals. Who plays Friday and Saturday is down to many factors including what the bands want and what other commitments they have. As Neil said, this Sunday "pattern" has developed since the 2004 festival so anything before that is irrelevant. Since then the Sunday headliners have been - Kylie (planned), The Who, The Verve, Blur, Stevie Wonder, Beyonce, Mumford and Kasabian. Are you saying that the locals - the majority of whom probably aren't part of the regular festival going crowd or have their fingers on the pulse of new music - would have preferred to see the likes of The White Stripes, Arctic Monkeys after 2 albums, Jay-Z, Gorillaz, and Metallica?!

So if someone doesn't appeal to the "lads" they shouldn't be in with a shout of headlining?? Don't get me wrong, if she headlines I'll be elsewhere but you only have to look on youtube (or the Taylor Swift thread!) to realise that she does put on some pretty impressive live shows.

Kings of Leon were mainstream popular. The crowd was bigger. I know because I was midway back for both. Verve was pretty empty. Kings of Leon was not. The record sales issue is not the be all and end all. It's about the buzz surrounding a band/artist's appearance within that particular audience. That's why Mumford had a bigger crowd than Smashing Pumpkins and Arcade Fire had a bigger crowd than Metallica

I wasn't questioning the fact that Eavis wants to appease the locals at all. I'm just saying that it isn't always the biggest cross over act, just an act that would be liked by many people (as is the case for the headliner on any day). Oasis v Muse, Springsteen v Blur were the other examples. Eavis just gets someone who will be liked by the locals. ACDC or Foos could do that.

As for Taylor Swift, that's not what I'm saying at all. I'm just saying that if you believe in the supreme importance of the cross over thing, then there will be a hell of a lot of "meh" from the male population if she headlined Sunday, who would probably prefer Foos or ACDC, hence showing the Eavis' haven't got a clue (unlikely), or there isn't that much emphasis on it. Same with Beyonce. If you'd have polled the locals to who they would have preferred on the Sunday out of U2, Coldplay and Beyonce, they'd have chosen her third, assuming a even demographic split in the votes.

"If you'd have polled the locals to who they would have preferred on the Sunday out of U2, Coldplay and Beyonce, they'd have chosen her third, assuming a even demographic split in the votes. "

Nah, really, Nope.

Your opinion. I'm looking at the rate of their respective tours selling out and the size of them. Bit more objective...

Seems flawed to me. You're looking at the gig-going public as a whole, fans etc, rather than the locas who probably only go to one gig a year, i.e the Sunday of the festival. Casual onlookers over fans. Different demographic, different case entirely.