Foo Fighters

Brave Sir Robin

Yeah I can't say I was disappointed because I wasn't expecting much but it was uninspiring nonetheless. I mean I don't really dislike any of the tracks, I just think "this is nice, I guess". It's kinda that way you feel when you listen to the latest album of a classic rock band you like and it's just a familiar sound without much deviation and a couple more songs to pad out the tour that'll follow where they play the hits you like from previous records.

Dave said that he wasn't gonna do the obvious and write a country song for Nashville, a grunge song for Seattle etc, but he also didn't have to go the other way and make the whole city / location thing almost unapparent apart from a few forced lyrics. i think Wasting Light was such a return to form because of stuff like White Limo which had been missing from the past few albums, and whilst i wouldn't want him to just stick a similar song on each album, this is the most samey album they've done yet. actually had me yearning for the days of One By One, which i've actually come to grow fond of despite it being noted as the start of their decline

hopefully the next album will come gimmick free (although the documentaries are good, so at least something worthwhile has come from it all)

• Upvote 1

I feel like the album lacks that foo's punch that much of their previous work does.

There's not one song I'd be 'excited' to hear in a live setting.

The Foos always seem to bring a new 'Hit' with each album, but there's no hit to be seen on sonic highways.

Edited by Matt42
  • Downvote 1

I actually blacked out & had a kip during Foo's set at Reading. I did the same but for whole of Kasabian (mates woke me up & had a wicked night at the silent disco). Woke up shivering so went straight to the bar.

Basically I need to plan my pass out/hours kip & see Foo's again.

That'll be what a Foo Fighters performance will do to you! (Someone had to say it ;) )

The episode of Sonic Highways on I saw BBC 4 was great, particularly enjoyed the stuff about Steve Alibini/Big Black.

Odd that a fella with the well-informed, eclectic musical interests of Dave Grohl could create music that's so utterly insipid.

Because he also has some extremely shitty MOR influences (Paul McCartney, Fleetwood Mac) as well.

Yeah I can't say I was disappointed because I wasn't expecting much but it was uninspiring nonetheless. I mean I don't really dislike any of the tracks, I just think "this is nice, I guess". It's kinda that way you feel when you listen to the latest album of a classic rock band you like and it's just a familiar sound without much deviation and a couple more songs to pad out the tour that'll follow where they play the hits you like from previous records.

Unfortunately 'nice I guess' is about as good as it's got for Foos albums since the second one. Wasting Light had an unusually high number of decent songs compared to the previous two or three but I wouldn't expect that trend to continue.

for some reason, all 147 Foo Fighters songs ranked

http://www.spin.com/articles/foo-fighters-every-song-ranked-sonic-highways/?utm_source=spinfacebook&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=spinfacebook

immediately disagree, as i'm a big fan of The Deepest Blues Are Black which they've put at #146, and it's obvious Everlong is gonna be #1 (no competition really), but... there you go